Bobbin Thread Short Tails

Here's a question to ponder? I'm loving my magna-glide/magna-quilt thread but have noticed an annoying problem. I use my "gator" bobbin thread cutter (sometimes I hit it by mistake too, lol) to cut the bobbin thread after I've pulled it up for tying. Anyway, when I start to sew again, a lot of times (after cutting the bobbin thread) the tail is to short to pull up to begin? I have to remove the bobbin case and re-thread it (pull a longer thread tail out). I have had this happen with other threads but the magna bobbins seem to be worse for this. Any words of wisdom or cause? I love my bobbin thread cutter.:( Hope you understand what I'm talking about, it's hard to put into words.

hmmm - i was talking to the magna glide guy at mqx and he told me that the those bobbins have better tension because they stop spinning when you stop sewing. maybe that is why you are noticing it - not as much is unwinding after the fact - or it is holding the bobbin in place a little too well when gator is at rest which doesn't allow that extra little bit to spin off?

probably completely off - but it make sense to me in my world. and i like it here in my world. LOL

I've noticed the same thing happening...........I thought I was doing something wrong, but many times I have to take the bobbin out and pull a longer thread tail so it will pick up with the needle. I love the thread cutter and hope I don't have to stop using it.

I am pleased to hear that I am not alone in this issue. I thought that I was doing something wrong and perhaps I am but every so often I have to take the bobbin out and put it back in so that the thread will come to the top. I haven't noticed that it happens with any thread in particular.

Sue

I found that I do have to push the machine a good 10 to 12 inches away from my stop, then back, press thread cutter and it is good to go for the next start. But having been without my thread cutter (out of alignment for about a year or so) I learned how to pull up the bobbin thread and cut on top. But I have to push the machine away and then back for that as well. :)

Not glad that others have this problem but glad to hear that I'm not crazy and that you understand what I'm trying to explain. I probably do need to pull more thread up prior to cutting it. Maybe Amy or Dawn will pick-up on this and give us some suggestions or explanations.

I'm an over-thinker, but doesn't the bobbin cutter cut the thread at the same place no matter how much you pull up through the top? The length of thread from the bobbin to the cutter is always the same? Amy, can you help with this question???

Originally posted by Gator

I'm an over-thinker, but doesn't the bobbin cutter cut the thread at the same place no matter how much you pull up through the top? The length of thread from the bobbin to the cutter is always the same? Amy, can you help with this question???

If I want a longer tail on the bobbin, this is what I do: Before I hit the "thread cutter" button, after I end my stitches, I "needle up" and push the machine away about 10 inches and then I hit the thread cutter button. That way, you have 10+ inches of bobbin thread on the bottom. I then slightly "tug" on my top thread and the bobbin thread starts to pop up to the top and I grab it and tie, bury.

I really like my thread cutter and consider it a great tool and I use it all the time. :)

Originally posted by DoryJM

Shana, does that give you enough of a tail when you begin stitching again?

Yes. The thread cutter cuts the bobbin thread the same length every time (think of this length as the area between the bobbin and the thread cutter blade.) So when you begin stitching again, you needle down/up and pull your bobbin thread to the top just like always.... But the (PREVIOUS) "tail" that is attached to the quilt bottom...what you just stitched... is longer because you pulled the machine away before you hit the "cut" button. You definitely want to pull that long tail up to the top and tie/bury. I just tug on my top thread a few times and the bobbin thread starts to loop up to the top and I grab, tie and bury it.

i can see where this would leave a long bobbin thread hanging from the back of the quilt so that you would be able to pull that up and tie off and bury. however, i think the issue is now that the bobbin thread is cut, you only have a very short bobbin thread hanging from the bobbin itself...not enough to pull up for the next set of stitching. clear as mud, eh? I then have to remove the bobbin case with bobbin, pull that short thread out so that it gives me enough thread for the needle to pull to the top for stitching.

Originally posted by newmillie2010

i can see where this would leave a long bobbin thread hanging from the back of the quilt so that you would be able to pull that up and tie off and bury. however, i think the issue is now that the bobbin thread is cut, you only have a very short bobbin thread hanging from the bobbin itself...not enough to pull up for the next set of stitching. clear as mud, eh? I then have to remove the bobbin case with bobbin, pull that short thread out so that it gives me enough thread for the needle to pull to the top for stitching.

Nooo no.... you don't understand. The thread cutter always cuts the same length no matter what you do. When you do the needle down/up and pull on your top thread to bring the bottom thread up, it works all the same... Go give it a try first. You will understand...

All right, I'm going to give it another try. I totally get the pull the bobbin thread up to tie/bury; but I'm still stuck on the length of the bobbin thread that is left when you start a new stitch. Seems like that short little tail (maybe an inch) would make it difficult to start again. Think I just need to try:o

Originally posted by DoryJM

All right, I'm going to give it another try. I totally get the pull the bobbin thread up to tie/bury; but I'm still stuck on the length of the bobbin thread that is left when you start a new stitch. Seems like that short little tail (maybe an inch) would make it difficult to start again. Think I just need to try:o

Silly goose... ;) ;) ;) it's not an inch... Remember... the NEEDLE is grabbing the bobbin thread at the HOOK. When you PULL on the top thread, it grabs the bobbin thread at that point. The area between the hook and the thread cutter is probably 4+ inches.

I do understand, shana. And I agree with Dory. I still have issues with the short bobbin tail that is under the quilt - coming from the bobbin itself - awaiting you to needle down/up to begin stitching. On some of my bobbins, this piece of bobbin thread is much too short to pull to the top to begin stitching. Hence, the having to remove bobbin case/bobbin, pulling out the thread, reinserting bobbin, and and then needle down/up, and begin stitching.

Newmillie, this is what I do to help keep this short tail issue from happening.

When I want to start a new stitch, I needle down and up. I very very slightly tug on my top thread (emphasizing with cap letters) WITHOUT MOVING MY MACHINE AT ALL... and I slghtly pull a little more and move my needle to the right just a bit so I have enough area to grab the loop with the bobbin thread. IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!! :)

Shana,

I totally agree with you; however, the circumstance we're talking about is where there is not enough bobbin tail to pull up! It is much too short - 1" or so. This only happens on certain bobbins. And I have tried repeatedly needle down/up, SLOWLY. Only when you pull the bobbin out and see the short tail do you realize what has happened or what isn't happening ...

Archived