Bobbin Thread Short Tails

Originally posted by newmillie2010

Shana,

I totally agree with you; however, the circumstance we're talking about is where there is not enough bobbin tail to pull up! It is much too short - 1" or so. This only happens on certain bobbins. And I have tried repeatedly needle down/up, SLOWLY. Only when you pull the bobbin out and see the short tail do you realize what has happened or what isn't happening ...

OK well, I am giving you my experience. I wind my own bobbins and I use Bottom Line in bobbin most of the time. The only time I have problems with a short thread that I have to pull out bobbin case and reinsert is when I get a little backlash in my bobbin... But thankfully, that is rare, though. Most of the time I have no problems with a short bobbin tail.

I wonder if there is something not right with your bobbin case? Or maybe you need to make some slight adjustments???? Sorry I could not be of help to you, NewMillie.

Good luck.

Well, okay then....now she says it. Needle up/down...DON'T MOVE THE MACHINE...tug if necessary. Got it. I always moved the machine too far and then lost it and got fed up and quit...not that I'm a quitter or anything!! And I'm not a goose, darn it:P:D:P

I think everyone is correct. Here I go thinking again. I'm wondering if the magna-threads are stretched when the cutter cuts it and then the tail snaps back to it's original lenghth which may be shorter then our machines are designed for?:o

Originally posted by Gator

... Amy, can you help with this question???

Originally posted by newmillie2010

.....But not to worry! there will be a resolution somewhere down the line!

Originally posted by Gator

I'm wondering if the magna-threads are stretched when the cutter cuts it and then the tail snaps back to it's original lenghth which may be shorter then our machines are designed for?:o

Yes, This problem calls for that Dynamic Duo ---- Super Amy and Super Dawn to the Rescue!! :) Where's that darned Batmobile when we need it?

post--13461904022923_thumb.jpg

Shana, Shana, Shana....whatever am I to do with you?

I haven't personally used these bobbins yet, but I think SuperDawn may have....my thought is that the puller arm that pulls the thread over to the cutting blades may be a little sharp - I know it looks like it's supposed to be sharp, but it isn't. And, yes, it is supposed to have that little nick in the edge!! (I get that call a lot;-0) That would be the first thing I would check, and smooth down if needed with emery cloth.

Gosh I sure don't know what else to say about the short bobbin thread tail problems you're all having. Anyway, I started to doubt myself thinking maybe I am way out in left field with my situation....

So, when I got home tonight, I experimented with my machine. I normally run a looser bobbin. Anyway, I tried it first with my bobbin's normal (looser) setting, stopped stitching, hit the thread cutter , clipped my top thread off, and moved my needle to a new starting place. I did the needle down/up, and slightly tugged on top thread and the bobbin loop came up as it normally does, and I was able to grab it with my fingers just like always, So I thought perhaps if I tightened my bobbin really tight I might duplicate your problem? Well, I didn't have any changes to the length of bobbin thread coming to the top--just as the first time, it was about an 1-2 inches long. Both times the bobbin thread that is tugged to the top is about 1-2 inches long -- enough for me to grab it and the top thread. The only suggestion I have is when you are ready to start a new stitch line, do the needle down, up. Don't move your machine at all....just tug on the top thread and see the bobbin thread pop to the top. While still not moving the machine, grab that loop with your fingers. Once you have both threads pinched together, pull the machine away to get longer tails. Well anyway, I don't know what else to say and I have tried to help. I hope that those of you who have problems with short bobbin tails do some more checking with your machine. Make sure it's clean and oiled, that you have everything screwed on tight the way it's supposed to be, and all that stuff. If you ask me, your machine is not working properly if your bobbin tails are so short you cannot pull them up to the top. I find that our machines (although industrial strength, heavy duty strong built) they are very sensitive to the slightest anomaly. So it could be you just need to do some minor adjustments. Anyway, I wish you well and good night. I hope someone else here with better insight will come up with a solution for you.

Oh good! :) Nice to know that Linnea and Elvira got it working OK. Now I hope that Connie, Sue Richardson, Linda (VIVIANMABLE), Jules, Dory, and NewMillie can get theirs to work. If they still have problems, I suggest they call the Dynamic Duo in DesMoines cuz something is not right with their machine!

I still have to try mine. I am just loading something on my machine. When I have the problem there is no thread tail to pull up at all. I don't remember if it happens specifically with Magna Glide bobbins or not . I will have to check that one out.

Hoping for a miracle!

Sue

Shana,

Thanks for all your help with this thread! I have not had a chance to look over the forum closely the past two days, and lo and behold I find that I've lost 50 pounds!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My waist hasn't been that skinny since fourth grade, but I like the idea of being able to leap tall buildings with a single bound:) :)

Dawn/Amy/DynamicDuo/SuperWomen:

i went back and did a retest. Superior SoFine and Bottom Line both worked perfectly as a bobbin thread (meaning that when the thread cutter cut the bobbin thread, there was a long enough thread left attached to the bobbin to be able to bring it to the top and start stitching again). Magna-Quilt thread still leaves a very short tail attached to bobbin. Too short to pull to the top for next stitching. i will just continue to either cut with scissors (go under quilt...wheee!) or pull bobbin out from under, pull thread to lengthen it, put back in, and forward march. Not critical, just baffling at this point.

I have had this happen occasionally, too. I don't know why sometimes you get no bobbin thread to the top to grap ahold of to start the next stitch. You may not be able to use the thread cutter with these bobbins. I haven't tried my samples yet. Buy you should never have to cut with scissors under the quilt.

As Shanna said, after locking your stitches, move your machine about 10 inches, then move it back to where you ended your stitching. Do a needle down in the last stitch hole, needle up, tug on your top thread and pull up the bobbin thread. One side of the loop of bobbin thread will be attached to the quilt, and the other side of the loop will pull off the bobbin. Cut your threads at the top of the quilt..(the top thread and the side of the bobbin loop that is attached to the quilt and that doesn't roll the bobbin when you tug on it.)

That should leave a bunch of thread for you to grab when you start your next stitches.

Archived