Help Again - rattle in bobbin area

I've quilted out two rows of feathers and now there's a horrible grinding noise coming from the bobbin area. I've re-threaded the machine, put in a new bobbin and cleaned the area. It shouldn't need cleaning since I've only quilted out two rows since I got the machine up and running.

I finally took the bobbin and thread completely out and when running the machine with no bobbin or thread, the bobbin area has a horrible rattling noise coming from it - it's very loud. I've only gotten to quilt out two rows of feathers.

This is very disappointing. This can't be anything I've done because there's no thread or bobbin case in the machine and it just rattles away. Anyone have any ideas what is wrong now? Mercedes

Mercedes: You poor girl, I feel so bad for you and the struggles your encountering.....This may be a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway. Have you applied a drop of machine oil in the bobbin area??? Oil is critical for it.....Just a thought...

Others will pipe in I'm sure maybe they can hep, but I thought the oil would be at the beginning of the check list.

Good luck girl...

Great question, since I've only sewed two rows of feathers since I got the machine back from being serviced, I didn't think it should need oil.

I followed the instructions on oiling it and that did quiet it down. I'm quite surprised as this noise just came on all at once on the second row. I wouldn't have thought it would need oil so soon since it was just serviced and I barely have sewn two rows of stitches out.

Does a machine need to be re-oiled if it has sat unused for any length of time? When I got it back from APQS, it sat for almost 2 months because I didn't have anyone to help me lift it back on to the frame. This must be another Lessons Learned - if you don't use your machine for any length of time - re-oil?

Thanks so much for the tip! Mercedes

Hi Mercedes

I oil my machine in the hook assembly every day that I use it - just one drop and then I rotate the thumbwheel or use the needle positioner to distribute the oil.

I think you should call the factory and get them to listen to the noise though because you have described it as rattly and also grinding. If its rattly the oil should do the trick, if its grinding Amy will have another suggestion for you. In either case its safe to use for a short time.

Good luck

sue in australia

Originally posted by Mercedes

Does a machine need to be re-oiled if it has sat unused for any length of time? Mercedes

Yes!!

Originally posted by Mercedes

When I got it back from APQS, it sat for almost 2 months because I didn't have anyone to help me lift it back on to the frame. This must be another Lessons Learned - if you don't use your machine for any length of time - re-oil?

Yes, yes and yes. :) Oil is your friend

Dust, lint and debris are not your friend.

I regularly blow out my bobbin case, bobbin assembly, and all around my hopping foot. I blow out and oil at least once per quilt (especially when using cottons). I usually use WD40 to clean my bobbin area. Keeping the (belly) clean makes it very happy. Always follow up WD40 with oiling the race.

Once a month, take off the needle plate and clean out, blow out through the hole (while it's spinning slow). WD40 and oil from the top, down through the hole, too, while spinning.

Have you had any basics or "introductory" training with your machine? A local sales rep? If not, I highly recommend you do it. You will learn so much and worth you time and investment.

Or another option is to visit one of our regular chatters here on the chat == many live in the Seattle area. They would be happy to help, share, etc... Be careful what you ask for!! :)

Mercedes ---

I'm going to pass on the best advice I was given by Marilyn Badger years ago.....she told us in class to blow out your bobbin area/bobbin case with every bobbin change, as well as a drop of oil and your set.....It only takes a 1/2 second, but my '02 Millie still runs like new and I faithfully do this routine every single bobbin change.... Actually, I'm a fanatic .... :-)

Also, if your machine sits, yes, by all means, oil the bobbin area and all your wicks....then let it warm up for 10 minutes or so ... best insurance you can do for your machine.....

You may need to re-pack the grease, especially if it is a grinding noise. It won't hurt your machine to stitch with it this way. You can order grease from APQS. Or email Barb Mayfield. She may have some to sell you and she is in Washington State.

As an aside--would you like to go to the Moxie meeting on Saturday? I live in Olympia and you can ride with me if you like. Lots of food, fun, advice, sharing, and laughter.

Thanks for all the great advice! I did take Amy's introductory maintenance class at Innovations in Tacoma last year but there were so many questions, we didn't get through everything.

I pulled out my maintenance booklet I got at Amy's class and I'm copying those normal maintenance pages and posting them on my wall by the machine. Every time I use my machine, I"ll see the pages on the wall and it will remind me to do the maintenance. Better yet, I think I'll put a calendar on the wall also - that way I can write down when I did the last maintenance and what it was.

Can hardly wait to play with QZ tomorrow - keeping my fingers crossed that I actually get to do this! Mercedes

I was going to suggest that the grease might need changing and then Linda beat me to it. We seem to be doing alot of that lately for APQS owners! We are also dealers and live just north of you about 20 miles.

I carry the grease if you want to do it yourself and don't want to wait for it to get shipped from Iowa, or we also will also come to your house and change out the grease for you if you would prefer that. My contact info is below.

Mercedes, since you just got your machine back from a spa treatment, why don't you call APQS and talk to Amy about what is going on with your machine. After my machine had her spa treatment she sang....no problems at all. If they worked her over, you shouldn't have to do any adjustments, like retiming, etc. Oil and cleaning is your best friend. But you have received tons of good advice here....however I think it is time to go to the big guns :)

Have you had any basics or "introductory" training with your machine? A local sales rep? If not, I highly recommend you do it. You will learn so much and worth you time and investment.

mercedes - i watch the dvd that came with Lola-baby over and over. it covers regular maintenance - and everytime i finish a practice piece or quilt - i pop it in the computer and dawn c and i do all the cleaning and oiling together. she reminds me what i need to (every moment is a senior moment in meg's little world). it covers cleaning the bobbin area - rails and wheels - all that snazzy stuff. and it really doesnt take that long once you've done it a time or two.

;) good luck - i feel your pain. i think we got our machines around the same time. i have loved learning all about this - and still have a lot to learn - & occasional frustration does set in. when this happens - i go back into my favorites and look at what all these talented quilters can get their machines can do. HANG IN THERE - we CAN do this!!!! ;)

"You may need to re-pack the grease,"

Eeeeck what does this mean? I WD-40 for grime, oil the wicks and hook assembly, but this is the first time I have heard of "repacking grease" Couldn't find anything in my manual. I bought my machine second hand and did not receive a video. Oh my, I feel so clueless..........lol educate me please.....

Lori

Don't worry! It's not like changing the oil in your car!:P

At the back of the bobbin area you will find a plug. Behind the plug is a compartment full of "grease" that surrounds the gears. If you get a pocket of air, the gears grind--don't worry, you can still stitch if you can stand the noise! Order some new grease from APQS. That should fix you right up.

This isn't a maintenance task, Lori. It's a fix for a problem. If the grease is sealed (no leakage around the plug) and you have no grinding noises, I don't think you need to worry about it. I have a 2004 Milli (and I will now jinx myself by saying...) I haven't needed to re-pack it.:P

Maybe if you send it back to Iowa for a tune-up or spa treatment, you can have them check the grease for discoloration. Otherwise, relax!!

Kay - call Sheila. You have struggled so much - it is now time for you to quilt. Have her come out and just go over everything and get you up and running. I feel so bad for you, but, enough is enough, and you need to QUILT!! Personally I don't know Sheila well, but when we did chat, her knowledge was tremendous and she really knows a lot about our machines.

it sounds like grease to me too but I have to tell you, one time I had the most horrible noises coming from the front of my machine and I had forgotten to tighten down the screws on my needle plate after I had removed it to clean real good. so now I double check those puppies when I hear unusual noises. I agree with Meg give Sheila a call. I know she will be able to make you feel much better quikcly.

Just to pop in here: last weekend I was at a show in Montana, demonstrating my Millie. We had sewn most of the day, then all of a sudden we got a noise like the machine was stitching through paper. Stopped demoing, cleaned and oiled the bobbin area good - noise went away. So your noise, mercedes, could be due to a bit of thread or lint somehow stuck in the bobbin area. If your baby has just returned from a "spa treatment" in Iowa, I wouldn't think it would be the gear box needing repacking, unless it developed an air pocket during shipment (and waiting to be replaced on her table).

If you want some "person to person" contact, feel free to give me a call at (509) 447-3803. I'm not as close as Sheila, so you might want to try her first.

HI Barb,

Thank you for the offer. I've given my Mille a rest yesterday and today. Tomorrow I'm going to do another good cleaning with the air compressor and Wd40, then re-oil, replace the bobbin case and bobbin, re-thread and give her a try.

Mille had a complete overhaul so I agree, it shouldn't be anything major. I know they went through her very thoroughly.

I did give her a good cleaning already but as you mentioned there could be some thread where I can't see it so will give this a try again. Even though I've only quilted a couple of rows since Mille returned, there could still be thread caught somewhere.

I needed the break more then Mille did :D Mercedes

Archived