where do you keep handy tools?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep my needle stuck through the side batting/fabric - right where I' working. Some people have taken double sided velcro and put a little holder on the side of their machine head - the bottom of a toothpaste holder or some such. I can so relate to not having the tools right at hand! It was frustrating. I look forward to seeing what others do too.

Here is a pic of what I do... Hang my little sissors on the front and I have a small magnet stuck on the top with doubled over paint tape for my self threading needle and I have a piece of that rubbery nonslip stuff laying back there too so if I have trouble pulling the needle thru. Works very well for me! It's all always right there!!

post--13461904022192_thumb.jpg

I have a little stainless steel pencil holder (from Dollarama) attached with Velcro to the top of my machine...holds whatever marking tools I want, small screwdriver for changing needles, seam ripper, tweezers. Also attached a plastic cup hook to the side for hanging my thread picker, and an apple pincushion is simply attached with a wide elastic band to the handles. Not that pretty, but it works for me. Love having everything handy!

now let's see if this picture will post....:)

post--13461904022429_thumb.jpg

Guest Linda S

Scissor Spots! They are suction cups with magnets on them (won't interfere with machine) that you can stick on. I hold my self-threading needles, seam ripper, crochet hook (for fishing out stray threads), sharp scissors, and pin point oiler with them. I also have a suction cup with a hook (the kind you use to hang holiday lights) on the side of the machine, and I've drilled a small hole in a plastic cup that hangs there to put all my stray threads in.

Under the left side of my machine, I have a three-drawer rolling cart that has all sorts of handy things like spare needles, bobbins, flashlight, rail clips, etc, and behind me on the wall I have a wooden strip with slanted slots that holds my templates. Everything handy by!

post--13461904022817_thumb.jpg

I used those stick on hooks that can be pulled off if you pull the tape............3M I think. Anyway, I put one on the front of my machine for my thread scissors and one on the back of the machine for when I am changing threads ! I was always leaving my scissors either at the front or at the back and never where I needed them. I tried wearing them around my neck, but they just got in the way.

i use thee 3m hooks as well. i have 1 on the front and 1 on the back. dont know why i have one on the back cause i am NEVER back there, but it's there.

my self threading needle is stuck into the black grippy stuff right on the handles. i also have a cloverhead pin there for when i need to change the needle.

my qz came with a tray that rests on the rollers without tipping over. i leave any rulers, dental flossy thing & my screwdriver on there.

keep the oil and canned air on the floor near where i always change the bobbin so i remember to clean it out with each new bobbin.

I hang my scissors off the spool on the top and use magnetic sticky tape on the front of the machine for my needles. I also have a cute, tiny pincushion on the handle for pins for quick pinning (like basting the sides). I'd send in a pic, but I'm at work...just not working:D

My goodness! Am I the only person who "wears" my scissors? I have them attached to a thin round elastic and I "wear" them almost every waking minute (I am wearing them now!) whether I am doing hand work, sitting at my domestic, or working the long arm. They do get in the way when I cook and work at the sink ;) and then I sometimes take them off.

I have a large magnet perched on top of my control box which holds my frogging tools (crochet hook, size 14 and tweezers), and all other things magnetic.

I cut off the end of a thin latex rubber glove to use for pulling, but it was such a hassle keeping track of that little piece that now I just have the entire glove lying somewhere on the quilt as I sew and I can grab it when I need it.

And yes, anniemueller, the self-threading needle is absolutely perfect for tying and burying knots. I thought I had discovered it because I hadn't seen it anywhere! But I'm probably WAY too late into the longarm world to make any earthshaking discoveries.:P

But I so appreciate seeing what others do. There are always so many good ideas here. Thanks, everyone!

I put one of those sticky-backed felt pads that you put on chair legs to protect the floor on the left side of the machine head away from any thread path. I keep needles in that, and the scissors are on the laser holder, like other have shown.

I bought a Scissors hook from www.quilttech.com ($1.25) that replaces one of the screws on the left hand side of the front cover of my Millie.

I need to get another one for the back when I am changing threads etc. I have a padded pin cushion on both of the handles of my machine for my basting pins and self threading needle.

I have a fabric thread bag double sided sticky taped to the top of my machine for the threads you cut off.between the laser post and my horizontal spool holder.

AND plenty of table space behind me for all the other things necessary to aid the quilting process.

Lyn

:D I like the creativity and how you all have pimped your rides. :cool:

I haven't pimped my ride too much. I tried wearing my scissors around the neck or clipped on a retractable leash, but they got in the way and poked me, too, so I bought two of the little Gingher snips (the small flat black snips). One is attached with a magnetic strip at the front of the machine and one is mounted at the back when I need it for pantos. I took the magnetic strip material (comes on a roll) and cut two pieces and mounted a strip on the machine and a strip on the Gingher snip and it stays in place with the little magnet. I also cut a three more of the magnetic strips (about two inches long) and stuck those behind the Gingher snips (in front of my laser light post) and that is where my self threading needle lives. Everything else (frogger, rulers, books, pens, thread, bobbin winder, etc...) all lives in drawers next to/under or on the big table directly behind me so all I have to do is turn around and grab. I like to keep things as the French say "mise en place," so I can find things quickly, easily. So far this set up works well for me.

Anyway, I haven't been too crazy about my Gingher snips and magnetic strips (they sometimes fall off)... But I am intrigued by the idea of using the 3M hanger thingies and dangling scissors from those. I am going to get two of them and mount one at front and one at back and dangle scissors from them and see if that works better for me. Thanks for the ideas!

Sharon! I see you have one of my favorite handy dandy thread pickers hanging from your machine! Aren't they the best?

I keep my tools on the table right behind me... I also keep my little snips on the fabric - always out of the path of the machine. I know some would disagree, but my "OCD" keeps me very careful! LOL

Archived