where do you keep handy tools?

I used to keep my scissor around my neck, but they kept poking me in the tummy. Naw, it didn't deflate one bit!!!

Now I keep them on the laser post in front. I also made a tiny little basket for thread clippings. And the long paint brush was a quick fix for small spools. I just slip the spool on and slip on a spacer to hold it in place. Works great.

I also made the wool pincushion and tied it onto the handles with ribbon. About once every 6 months I have to tighten the ribbon, but for the most part the pincushion stays where I put it.

Looks like Sanford and Son moving garage sale you say? Yep, and I like it that way!!

post--13461904024119_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all for shining some sunshine on an otherwise dreary day. :cool: It's snowing, cold and windy, here in Jackson this morning. I bundled up in my winter coat, scarf and gloves and braved my way over to the guest house where my Millie lives. The heat stopped working over there last week, so I kept the coat on. Took Millie a while to warm up too. AND....I put my scissors on my laser post and stuck my self threading needle in the grippy covering on my handles and VOILA! My morning was so much brighter!! :D:D

I couldn't believe the time savings of just not having to reach behind me for my scissors and needle. It's amazing. If you haven't tried it yet you should.

I'll consider some of the other things too, for sure. I'm still looking for a good place to put my thread clippings. I really like Linnea Marie's basket. I bought an apron pattern and fabric to make one last fall, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Originally posted by anniemueller

I put my scissors on my laser post and stuck my self threading needle in the grippy covering on my handles and VOILA! My morning was so much brighter!! :D:D

I roll this way too! I also wear a smock and the left pocket is for my thread tails. The right pocket holds pens and any small ruler I may need while working.

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

I'm gonna smack you Shana!! I'm no hillbilly!!! HUMPH! Thanks a lot! hahaha Not that there's anything wrong with being a hillbilly, I'm just sayin'....................... Actually, I just use whatever works; hillbilly or not!:P:P:P

Hey gurrrl... just so you know, I am a big fan of hillbillies myself. I got me one! My Pop is from North Carolina way up in them thar hills! He's the most awesome, hardest working, smartest person in the whole wide world. I love him. :)

And you know I'm just yankin' your chain. I truly do love you, Linnea baby and your set up is fabulous. That paint brush...I might need to do that just for grins. Really!! ;)

Shana -- pimping your ride reminded me of something my daughter said to me a few years ago. A corner of my front tooth had broken off and it was a couple weeks before I could get into a dentist since we had just moved to a new area. My daugher jokingly told me I should just "pimp my grill". I had no clue what she was talking about so did an internet search. OMG! I found a huge choice of wild and crazy ways to "pimp out" my front teeth -- and some were cheaper than the dental work! I went ahead and had the tooth fixed the boring normal way, but gave my dentist a real good laugh when I related this story!

Great idea, Sylvia! Maybe use ordinary smocks (scrubs?) and embroider or applique something quilty on the pockets you will be sewing on. Let me know when you start to market them!

I am in the camp that parks their scissors on the top spindle.

I have a coffee filter taped to the left side to catch clippings.

Since the time I once lost a self-threading needle and spent two days tracking it down, nothing of the pin or needle family is anywhere on my machine where it can be lost. Hey, turning around and searching my tools table for the stencil/chalk/ripper/marker/ruler--that's the only exercise I get!!:D

Originally posted by marycontrary

....corner of my front tooth had broken off .....My daugher jokingly told me I should just "pimp my grill"

Oh yeah I remember that "grill" phase. Do they still wear those things? Seemed like the hip hop rap artists were grillin' their teeth; and it was big business. Most grills made of diamonds. Lots of bling happening on those teeth!!! I remember there was a hit song on the radio about grills. What rich people do to their teeth just so they look cool.... :D

I don't have a picture right now, but I hang my round ended scissors on the laser light post on the front. I have a embroidery scissors, the kind with the bend in the handles, but when I first started quilting, I was using a friend's machine and during the first row, I dropped her scissors and put a tiny hole in my quilt, so no more pointy ones for me!:D

First, I have a piece of batting with a hole cut in so it fits over that same post placed on the top of the machine so I put any threads that I trim as I go on that. It is a great way to 'catch' threads. I could put the burying needle in that we well, but just hadn't thought of that before. The comes the scissors, which rests on the batting. I'll try to remember to take a pic tomorrow.

I wear my little scissors around my neck all the time and do not have any problem with them getting in the way of quilting or anything. I also keep another pair of snips on the laser post on top of the machine. I've not been able to figure out how to use the self threading needles without the threads coming out of the needle just as I pull it through. Are all those needles open at the top, or is there another kind. I've almost given up using them because it takes several tries to get the threads hidden. I talked to Sharon Shamber last week at Paducah and she showed me her method of lassoing the starting and ending threads. I am going to try her method next time. I love all the great ideas I've seen on this thread. I may incorporate a few news on on my Gabbi. Thanks. :D

Originally posted by hmerrill

Bobbi that chick needs a hat on with a light on it to be Shana...forget what they call those hats...you know the ones coal miners use. LOL that was a great cartoon.

Head lamp. :) These are great when walking your dog at night. I also think they are great to see in your bobbin area if you need both free hands to get your tools down in there.

post--13461904030069_thumb.jpg

Archived