where do you keep handy tools?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bobbi47

Just had to share!! So are we gonna get a pic of Kimmy at her "ride"?

LOL! I just remember in Kim Brunner's "Beginner" DVD she showed a picture of her old Gammill and she refered to as a "rolling junk heap" !!! :P :P She had so many things dangling off that thing... Looked like Sanford and Son

Originally posted by Dar

I've not been able to figure out how to use the self threading needles without the threads coming out of the needle just as I pull it through. Are all those needles open at the top, or is there another kind. I've almost given up using them because it takes several tries to get the threads hidden. I talked to Sharon Shamber last week at Paducah and she showed me her method of lassoing the starting and ending threads. I am going to try her method next time. I love all the great ideas I've seen on this thread. I may incorporate a few news on on my Gabbi. Thanks. :D

I use the Dritz Easy Threading needle. It has a slit at the top where you pop the thread in. It's good for sturdy threads, like So Fine and cottons. It shreds finer threads like rayons and metallics. I don't have any trouble keeping the thread in the "eye". Now, it's not there for very long. And they are not good for regular sewing. I find them just perfect for burying thread ends.

Wow, you all have some great ideas! I wonder if you could share more information on the thread picker tool?

I use a small plastic box on the side of my Millie for storing tools. 3M makes it out of the same stuff as the hooks. I also use an apron with a retractable scissors leash for my scissors and other handy tools. It's always with me and is automatic now. I reach for those scissors with out even thinking any more.

There is a needle called a spiral eye needle that's even easier to thread than a self threading needle.

Here's a link:

http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/

nayy,

I have an empty Crystal Light container velcroed to the side of my Millie to catch cut threads and I use the Gingher snips on a lanyard around my neck. Used to use scissors with sharp points but got tired of poking myself and the ribbon wasn't really long enough to get to my snipping point without taking it off. I think I'll steal the idea of the pin cushion attached to the handles. Great ideas.

Ok, so I've been gone a few days visiting my son.

Yes, Shana, I know you are teasing me! And I would never smack you. Love tap, maybe. I was just getting you right back!!:P:P

Now I have to say I want a head lamp too. My DH has one and is most annoying with the darn thing. I mean, looks up at me with the thing blinding my eyes! TURN THAT THING OFF!! Now, if I have one I can get even.......and see my bobbin. hahahaha

Geez, a lot has happened on here since Thursday!!:P:P:P

is this headlamp like one they use in the dentist office...interesting idea.

i may have to get me one of those...altho i can not even imagine the abuse i will take if my boys see me wearing it....

Originally posted by JudyLee

There is a needle called a spiral eye needle that's even easier to thread than a self threading needle. Here's a link:

http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/

Judy Lee: Thanks for your info and this link. I just this minute ordered one little lone needle, size 8, and am so excited! I don't have any trouble with the regular self-threading needle, but I am a sucker for new gadgets. Free shipping the entire month of May!

The spiral eye needles are da bomb!! I love mine!! I only bought ONE! The top threaders kept shredding my thread or, if it was Monolon, it broke.

Jim, looks like your ride is pimped to the MAX!!! Lookin' good!:P:P Also good idea putting a sticky with the needle size!!

Archived