Different APQS machines

Ok I have my heart set on a liberty but I keep thinking about the Discovery and Freedom. Price I suppose.

I want a second machine for my freehand or custom. The liberty is the only one with SR but I am getting really good at working in Man and like it.

The throat space is my concern. I'm thinking the Liberty will be enough.

Another issue is I could put my CQ on the machine without all the goodies and just keep my Vera Mae (Millie) for the complicated stuff.

What's your take? Any of you working with more than one machine wishing you had made a different choice. If I did move my CQ I would definately want the Freedom for the throat space.

I will probly want another CQ eventually too so I have to think of that as well.

Help I'm going for BROKE!!! lolol

Grammie

Guest Linda S

Holy Moley Grammie. It may be none of my business, but how can you possibly justify or pay for two machines with CQ? Do you have a huge stream of customers lining up at your door? I've been quilting for two years on my Liberty which I don't find to be much of a hindrance size wise. I have a good customer base, but I couldn't even consider buying a second machine, let alone a CQ or a second machine with a CQ. Is there that much quilting business in your area?

Linda

Hi Grammie

Here is my take on the size question. If you are used to a longer throat space, stick with it! I LOVED my Liberty but had a hard time adjusting to less space after all the years that I quilted on the larger ones. If I were to get another machine, it would be the Freedom SR. Love that machine!

I'm a dreamer who dreams really BIG!!! lol

I will get the business and if not I can piece like the devil himself. lol

I am simply getting ready to do this full time. Can I justify it. NO. I've worked hard and saved and well instead of Hawaii or the BMW I would prefer another machine and another CQ if possible. I believe even though I have been at it a short time I am good and I am working constantly at improving. I am working toward being the best I can. I hope that doesn't come across wrong but the timing is good. My husband has already retired and I will someday soon but not until I have my business in place.

I do believe there is a market for this in my area meaning the Golden triangle and Louisiana State Line.

There are a few Longarmers in my area and a few are really good but they can't do all the quilting nor do they wish to quilt for everyone. Most just quilt for close quild members or themselves.

You know we can quilt alot of things. Not just quilts.

I make baby quilts and sell them. I am even going to be doing Fabric for a local seamtress that makes jackets. I plan to expand and do the local decorators as well. I had a customer recently that paid me to do the decorator fabric for a king and two very large pieces that were for the cornices above the drapes. She has always taken hers to Houston and knows several other Custom sewers that are doing the same.

I have already been asked to do my first trapunto Wholecloth for a queen bed. These type jobs require a second machine so I can move the ETE quilts thru while working on it. I'm Putting together a Lecture package to educate and three local decorators and even Ethan Allen decorators would like me to come and visit them and show them what can be done.

Maybe I'm a DREAMER but I'm going for it. My husband promises to feed me well and other than my quilting I'm pretty low maintanance. Don't shop, (except quilt shops), don't eat much and never drive my car unless its to go to work or Quilt shop. lolol

The purpose for all the question is to put together the best informed business plan that I can but somehow I will get another machine. lol

Your such a peach

Tammie,

I love your attitude and your go after anything outlook. How did you go about building up your customer base. I'm still working full-time during the school year and quilting part time. I'm getting ready to start teaching quilting classes on Monday evenings, but I will still have the rest of the week and the weekends to quilt. Perhaps you could U2U or email me. I'd like to talk to you.

My dream is to open a large fabric store with nice yarns for the local knitters. I will still quilt of course. It relaxes me.

I would love my own shop but I do want to focus on Quilting. I work 14 days a month and off 14 days a month. With that said I really only have a quality time for quilting in about 10 of those days as I need makeup time from the Nights to Days between. I quilt every single day when I get home no matter how tired I am. I'm working a quilt right now hoping to finish tomorrow my one day off. I go back on Tues night for three more. When I wake up and have coffee I quilt for another hour or two before I go back to work. Sometimes I just do paperwork. I doodle and doodle and doodle at work. I put all my bindings on at work especially my night shift. How do I do it? I haven't figured that out yet. Sometimes I do a rest day and I sleep and mope and let my DH wait on me. He's sweet that way.

To be honest I went from being the best housekeeper to the poorest. When I get behind I call someone in to help get it caught up. I don't cook or do the laundry. My husband does 100% of it. When he leaves home on a job I do it only when I have to. Thank God for the dishwasher and Frozen vegees. I have always been a hard worker. If I were not quilting when I got home I would be doing something in the yard or painting something. Would much rather do that than the house. Its kinda funny, I will be in the kitchen and my husband will say it's in the drawer on the right or we are out because he knows I cannot find anything in the kitchen. lol

It just kinda evolved into this situation. As long as my DH doesn't mind I'm quilting every chance I get. lol

As far as customer base that's easy. Most quilters are booked for months. I'm gonna go get some of them!!!! lololol I mean that in the funniest of ways.

They are out there. They just don't know I'm here. But they will. Rest assured they will.

Grammie

Tammie,

I know what your goals are and I know you will reach them. I have seen you in action and what you have accomplished is less than a year. Besides your DH can quilt with you when he retires:D.

I love the Liberty's, but I would not give up the throat space if I were getting another machine for my own use. Like Sherry, I would go with the Freedom S/R. You will have the best of all worlds. Your third machie that you rent out can be the sweet baby Liberty ;)

I am so excited to meet you DDIL. She sounds just like you.

Hugs, Myrna

Hi Grammie/Tammie

I'm with everyone who said go for bigger throat space. I love the Liberty and if I were just using it for freehand that would definitely be my choice but to add a CQ to it wouldn't be my first choice..

For anyone who has a Liberty and is thinking of adding CQ, thats not to say you can't do it - I just did this last week. The quilting space is 11 1/2". We (the lady whose maching it is and I) think we can do larger blocks but will have to do them in two parts. I'll keep this listed posted on that. If you are buying new and thinking of CQ I would recommend the larger throat though.

Have you thought of putting it on an XX - I think that would be possible if you could get your hands o n one with a needle positioner (Mark would know about that).

I would probably buy a Freedom with needle position and put the CQ on that and keep your Milli as you said.

Follow your dreams Grammie you know you can do it!

Sue in Australia

Myrna she is so excited about taking your classes. She doesn't have a longarm yet but I think this will motivate her and give her the confidence she needs. Your just the person to assure her and I know the APQS is the machine for her.

It will take about a year for her to get her shop on track but we are hoping that you can come do a class there in the future. Westcliff Co is just beautiful. A small charming place.

She will be coming to Houston for Two weeks during the Show and we plan to attend Market and classes there as well as the Show. We are so excited about it. We will be staying at an RV park not far from there. She is bringing hers since we haven't purchased a new one yet. That way I can talk Lee into driving that way to COOK us up some Good food. He's and excellent Cook. I get really tired of take out and fast food.

That's a pretty cute exampleTeresa.

The CompuQuilter can be added to any APQS model as long as you have the needle up and down. Then, as Teresa said you can set it and forget it. Well almost ;) You can certainly set and and do some piecing while keeping an eye on it. You can design you own patterns as well. Check it out at on the APQS website.

Myrna

Tammie,

I say if you can why not :P

And with your enthusiasim you will no doubt make your dreams a reality.

Besides there is that old saying about money "you can't take it with you" so if you have it spend it the way you want to and enjoy every minute.

My DH thinks that down the road that we should also get a 2nd machine (the Millie with CQ) but of course that will have to wait until are kids are grown (5 kids tend to eat us out of house and home ;).)

Most of my customer base likes the idea that my turn around time is 4 weeks or less since others in our area are twice that time. Plus being within a few miles from the local quilt shp doesn't hurt either.

Follow your dreams for the dreams are what keeps us young.

Joann

Grammie,

I love my Liberty, but if I had it to do again I would definitely get a Millenium. I would like to have the larger throat space. The Millenium also has a longer shaft(?) which means you have a better view of your work area.

I'm envious of your business. I seem to be having a hard time getting my name out there so I can get business. I'm going to make a go of this, but I can see its going to take some time. I haven't had a customer quilt since May, so I'm a bit depressed about it. I'm pieceing quilts to be entered in our state fair and doing QOVs right now. I hope something will trigger some business pretty soon.

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

www.myhomelandquilts.com

If anyone can do it, you can Tammy!! Good for you, you've earned it! You have the nicest and most supportive husband. I find it quite interesting the balance of your life. Your very positive attitude, hard work, fun, talented, in return you have a great husband, success, and fulfillment. We can learn a lot from your life balance not just your quilting. Goes to show what a great attitude and hard work will provide. Thanks for always sharing so openly and often with us. You no doubt have "IT" going on!

If your going for it--go all the way! Get the biggest, and best you can since you don't want to spend a lot and then regret not spending a little more to have a SR, or bigger space--you know?

Good luck! It may take a little longer to pay one off over the other, but thats all--a couple of months more and you will have a machine that you can do anything you want with! Go for it!

luv2kwilt

APQS MILLENNIUM

Archived