How to take a tuck or a pleat?

cjtinkle

I've never had to quilt a top with hugely waving borders before. I finally pulled out of storage the first top I pieced, and the borders are AWFUL. I had no idea what I was doing back then, and simply cut long borders, sewed them up the sides, and trimmed to fit. :D

I decided to quilt this top for demonstration purposes, knowing the borders were so wavy they'd need a tuck... or maybe 9 or 10 tucks, LOL

But, I'm not sure how that's done? Do I just fold the fabric so the seam lines of the 4 borders all line up, tapering it towards the center, then quilt carefully over it?

CJ,

Yes hindsight is always 20/20! LOL we have all been there and done that. I cringe when I hear a teacher tell you to put borders on this way. I would love a favor. I'm going to be speaking to my guild in Sept. about what to expect and not to expect from a longarm quilter. I would love to start collecting pictures of some of our challenges. Would you mind taking a few pictures for me? I'd love one of the quilt laid out so you can see the wave and then a couple when it is loaded on the frame showing the wrinkles and then finally with it tucked and finally stitched. I understand if you don't have time. If anybody eles out there is reading this and has some good samples let me know! Also if you have other ideas for my lecture that would be most appreciated. Never too early to start preparing. I'll be doing a power point presentation, about 30 - 45 minutes.

CJ now on your question. Yes you have the right idea. I first try the starch and steam method. It is amazing how much fullness you can ease in. Then if that doesn't work then go for the tuck. I try to keep the border square working all the fullness into one section if I can. When I finally have it laying flat then I will fold in the pleat and I acutally hand stitch that down using a ladder stitch while on the frame. Then I quilt it. It ends up looking like a seam and not a pleat. Since it is stitched down there isn't any way to really tell once it is quilted.

That's exactly what I needed to know Heidi, thank you! I wasn't sure if it needed to be hand sewn or not, so I'm glad you pointed that out.

As for repairing the border, I know how to do that, but I wanted to quilt this "as is" so I could have a demonstration quilt on hand to show customers what will happen if the borders are too wavy, and I have to take a tuck.

Heidi, I have at least one of the pictures you might want. I don't have any floor space large enough to lay the quilt out flat, and it's already partially quilted at this point, I'm sorry.

It's funny you mention what not to send to your longarmer, I had the same idea in mind when I decided to quilt this as is, and I have been videotaping it. Hopefully the tape turns out well enough I can use it.

This is taken after several bouts with starch and a hair dryer, LOL

IMG_0464.jpg

This one shows the quilt draped over the frame, look at those friendly borders!

IMG_0646.jpg

I will come back and include a pictures of it quilted over the tuck.

CJ, cut a piece of batting and stick it under the borders. That will help keep you from making a tuck. It will take up some of the fullness. I bought a quilt from Ebay and had a border like yours. I didn't have to take a single tuck. I put a piece of extra batting under the border and spread out the fullness with my fingers and put pins in and it really helped.

My demo quilt is to serve the purpose of showing a quilter who arrives with a poorly made quilt (like this one) and wants edge to edge quilting and isn't willing to spend any extra on the quilting.

I'm doing baptist fans on this one.

I'm afraid I am expecting to see more quilts like this than not, and more customers wanting to spend as little as possible for the quilting, in my area.

Of course the best solution would be to remove the borders and redo them... barring that, an extra batting would help, as would custom quilting, but that isn't my goal here.

Originally posted by cjtinkle

Actually, I WANT to take a pleat. I want quilt for demo purposes to show clients what MIGHT happen :)

CJ -- this would be a perfect "sample" quilt on what longarm quilters need to do with borders.

So, yes, on one border take a whole bunch of pleats. Take a couple of big ones!

On another border, rip out section, cut and restitch as NewMillie suggested,

On another border, starch and steam that puppy to death to git 'er to behave

On the other border, rip the entire border off, remeasure, cut and piece back on the "proper" way

Nope I wouldn't reject it...I've had worse and have saved much much worse than that. Just use the Steam and Starch method and make it lay down and behave...Let me know if you need a CD....it will make your life so much easier and your customers will think you are a miracle worker.

Bonnie has a great idea, I've used similar, and it takes out an unbelievable amount of bag, ( as I call it). I have sprayed it down with water while tensioned on the machine, and ironed it in place slowly working the material in just barely letting the irons weight touch the fabric. You can see it tightening up! A little starch will make it go a little more. I have also used the Rowenta steamer and let dry and repeat and iron. Sometimes tedious but great results can be gained!

If its beyond this at least you'll have shorter pleats. Take Care All--Dave

CJ, perfect timing on this question. I have a friend's Q4K on the frame parially quilted and I can see that the bottom border is going to need a lot of help.

Thanks, everyone, on all the great suggestions. It will be a good learning experience for me.

CJ, I love how you have used the space under your frame. It may require a trip to Target later.

Archived