How High Do I Go?????????

OK now that I got your undivided attention, I was playing with adjusting my table height (it's been far too low) so I raised it up. Well, how high should my belly bar be meeting my belly??? I think I raised it too high... but before I tell you how high it is I want you to tell me where it should be. Yup trick question. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shana,

There is a book about planning and designing your sewing area and they had a section about table height. It had to do with your cutting table and I remember that they said it had nothing to do with how tall you were but was related to where your elbow was. I wish I had it here right now, but I am at work. There is a ratio from your elbow to the table and I don't remember what it was. It is supposed to reduce the strain if it is properly adjusted. Boy, I just re-read what I wrote and I am absolutely no help at all:D. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Kristina and Colleen.

Kristina, I am 5'4" and I just measured the height. My belly bar on longarm now is between 41" and 42" oh.. and just for your info, my belly button is about 40" so... am I just right or a too high? I can surely see my quilting area better, but I can't reach far over like I used to. I think this height will be better on my back, but it sure does make me work a different set of muscles on my arms; will take a little getting used to.

So what about you others out there? Just curious (not about the belly button part ,,, you can keep that snippet of info to yourself thankyouverymuch!)

Shana,

I am about 5' 3 1/2" high and I have my machine set so the top of the belly bar is 36" above the anitfatigue mat I stand on. This is about an inch below my belly button!

I move my handlebars down so that when I bend my arms at the elbows and hold my hands out straight I can grip the handles and my lower arms remain parallel to the floor.

This is the recommended position for quilting when sitting, so I try to maintain it when standing.

Lyn

When the girls were here Linzi was telling me that she has her machne set so when she is at the ends with her arms at a right angle the bar touches the underside of her wrists. She to is 5'4" and I'm almost 5'6" looks like I need to raise it about 6" as it's all the way down. I didn't adjust it as I figured it to be correct as the person who I got it from is way taller than me and she said Dave Jones adjusted it for her when he put the lights on.

Not sure where this is going to put the belly bar as it right now hits me at belly button. I must have lost length in my legs as I got older. Only reason I even consider the change now is my back does hurt only after a few minutes of quilting. Will let you know as it's on the schedule for this weekend to fix.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Sherry Harrison-Rogers told me the height of her Millie was just under her boobs :D I don't know about her new set up.

(Do I want to go there? Sure.....)

Well MB, my boobs are lower than they used to be!!!:P:P:P

After info from a maintenance class, I set my front roller so the top of the roller is at the bottom of my ribs. Believe me, that spot was not easy to find through the flab, either!;)

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Sherry Harrison-Rogers told me the height of her Millie was just under her boobs :D I don't know about her new set up.

(Do I want to go there? Sure.....)

Well MB, my boobs are lower than they used to be!!!:P:P:P

After info from a maintenance class, I set my front roller so the top of the roller is at the bottom of my ribs. Believe me, that spot was not easy to find through the flab, either!;)

Linda as long as you don't take a tuck you're ok :P:P:P:P:P:P:P!

Shana - I'm going to get a hydrallic lift because I just can't get the table where I want it for all the styles of quilting I do. That should solve my problem. Right now it is too low and I have it right at my belly. I'm 5' 8" though and have long arms.

Wow, trick questions and trick answers. I have to say that I never adjusted the height on my table. The way it came was the way I left it. I am 5"7" and my belly bar (I assume we are talking about the backing roller) is 35" from the floor. If we are talking about the front top roller, it is 38" high and sit just under my boobs, but of course, at 60 they have lost lift....... I find I have adjusted to this height, but you got me wondering now what would happen if I adjusted it????

Shana,

You said "oh.. and just for your info, my belly button is about 40" . I couldn't stop laughing...I knew you meant how high off the ground, but in my mind I was thinking that is a whopper of a belly button.:P:o:P:P:P:P:P:o:P:P:P

But seriously, I am only 5'2" and holding. My problem is not how high the table is, but how low can the table go:P:P:P

Originally posted by Stagecl

Shana,

You said "oh.. and just for your info, my belly button is about 40" . I couldn't stop laughing...I knew you meant how high off the ground, but in my mind I was thinking that is a whopper of a belly button.:P:o:P:P:P:P:P:o:P:P:P

Just praying it isn't an outie!!!!:P:P:P:P:P:P

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by Stagecl

Shana,

Just praying it isn't an outie!!!!:P:P:P:P:P:P

Me too, Heidi:P:P:P

Originally posted by CWBowser

I am 4' 11" and the belly bar hits about at my ribs. I sometimes wish I could lower the machine into the floor. I can't imagine having a hydraulic lift.

Charlotte we can get you a step stool :P:P:P:P My machine must come up to your nose. I know that Rita R. had her legs cut down. You might be able to get Paul to do his handy work! If Paul can't then I'm sure Jim can help!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by CWBowser

I am 4' 11" and the belly bar hits about at my ribs. I sometimes wish I could lower the machine into the floor. I can't imagine having a hydraulic lift.

Charlotte we can get you a step stool :P:P:P:P My machine must come up to your nose. I know that Rita R. had her legs cut down. You might be able to get Paul to do his handy work! If Paul can't then I'm sure Jim can help!

Carol Lyon has a long box for standing on. It runs the length of her machine. She is short too.

Originally posted by rlhdesigns

OMG!! This is soooooo funny.:P:P:P:P:P I'm only 5' and can't lower my table, so my belly bar is just under my boobs with my bra on. LINDA.... you are to funny, I'm still laughing:P:P:P

Rebecca

"with my bra on" hahahaha Reminds me of a joke!!

Myrna Ficken likes hers between her waist and boobs. I know, I should not be talking about Myrna's body parts!! But, at MQS last year, I remember one machine being too low and she kind of bent her knees so she could get the right height. She was as short as me after stooping!!:D:D:D

So, I raised mine; and it helps in that I do not have to bend over so far.

Clear as mud???:P:P:P

Rebecca, I used to be 5', now I'm a whopping 4'11"!!!!

I hope you don't mean Rita R's legs !! :P:P

I am only 4 foot 10 and without shoes the belly bars is at the middle of my boobs !!! I quilt in heels most of the time, I need a long step stool to go all the way accross !!! I have castors which raises the table up too high for my height really, but will work at ways around it when I move the machine. Maybe building up the floor at the front of the machine ????

Ok....after Myrna was here instructing us..I raised my table. ((It's up under my boobs!) Yep! I use a stool most of the time to sit on..but OMG I can quilt so much better having the top closer to my face (yeah, i know what you all were thinking...."closer to my boobs.")

I hit the marks I draw so much better...I have more control.

Myrna was SO RIGHT ON when she said how high she has her's set.

Yeah, reaching "clear to the back" isn't as comfortable as before, but do you honestly always quilt that far back each and every time? I dont.... It's just easier to use the quilt advance for a shorter distance and keep on quilting.

Mary Beth,

I thought you said Sherry had a new set of boobs at first, and I thought, she surely wouldn't like you spreading that all over the internet..but then I re read what you said..After reading this post I starting to feel like I'm normal height, since I'm 5' and there are a lot of you out there shorter than I am. But for the vertically challenged out there..GET THE HYDRAULIC LIFT...it's worth every cent. You need the machine higher for pantos and all the way down for custom work from the front, wish I could get it an inch or two lower when I'm working from the front but being able to rise it up when I'm doing pantos has saved my back!

Archived