Dirty wheels

MarieBrewer

The back rollers on my machine that ride the table rails are always extremely dirty. It takes about 5 q-tips moistened with alcohol to clean them. That means both ends of the tips and then a new q-tip isn't totally clean. Is this normal? The wheels that hold the machine head are never like that. What is my problem? Could this be part of my problem of feeling as though the machine doesn't glide well? It also seems as thought the machine head glides and functions best when I am at the end of a quilt. Do I have one or more of the bars too high or too low? I can get my fingers under the leveler bar and I do have 3 washers on for the CL. I have raised the takeup roller, the leveler bar and the quilt top bar because of adding the 3 washers. Thanks-Marie

Hi Marie,

Make sure you are cleaning your table rails as well. This is how your wheels are getting dirty. Use rubbing alcohol on a cloth and wipe down your rails, this will deep clean them. Then you can just wipe them off with a dry cloth in between quilts. Also check if you have raised your bars because of the CL, your quilt top roller. If the machine is too high then the fabric coming off of the roller will be rubbing on the needle plate too much causing drag. You may need to raise that roller a little as well. Let us know how you come out.

Take care,

I was refering to raising the roller bars, not the rails. When you use the CL you have to raise the machine carriage in order to pass over the top of the CL apparatus which attaches/detatches to the table top. I used three washers for each bolt. Plenty of washers came w/the CL. I actually think two would have been enough. I clean my rails everytime I use the Millie. I use a qtip in the same manner as using batting and realize there is only a small portion of the wheel which actually touches the rail. Rather like a train's wheels. Mark, I raised all of the rollers when I added the CL. I will check when the current quilt is done and see what the distance is between the machine's working surface and the various rails. Thanks for all the input.

Archived