stinkin high shipping charges

I just received my first shipment of Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 in all the sizes from crib through king. I paid $358 for the batting and a whopping $144 for the shipping.

Is this normal? Now I'm not sure what to charge because I thought I would be making more of a profit than it looks like I'll be able to now.

Jessica

Jess I sometimes get packaed batts too but my shipping charges still aren't usually that high. I think the most I've ever paid for a large order, including 2 rolls and maybe 3 or 4 boxes is less than $50 I think. Usually I order smaller amounts because with QD there is no minimum. I don't want to have to store it all.

I just ordered two boxes of various sizes (I keep rolls of QD Blend & Dream Puff in 93" width) mostly King and the shipping for both boxes totaled $54, I would have just died to be hit $144 for shipping!! I mean I was even a little shocked at the $54 because its usually under $40.

I've been finding that US shipping charges are diverging. I have some companies who are still really cheap compared to the UK others are very very high. In at least 2 cases it was because the people doing the shipping weren't aware of the different shipping options available, and after I pointed them in the right direction the charges came down. Another had charged more more that three times the cost on the package, guess who won't get any more of my business, and that was after me questioning the charge.

Ferret

Don't get me started with shipping...... In godforsakenmiddleofnowheretimbuktualaska we pay through the nose on anything big like this. In fact, a group of us longarm quilters here in my town get together and make one big order together of Hobbs rolls so we could save $$ on the shipping.

So, how many packages of batting did you end up with? If it was only one of each size, then the amount you paid for the batting also seems excessive. There has to be some mistake. Maybe they charged you something like "Second Day Air" shipping charges. If that is their normal charge, that would be my last order from them!

Jessica,

I order only from Hobbs and the rates went way up when they had to change carriers because DSL wasn't going to handle that type of shipping anymore(a couple of years ago). I pay about that amount and it goes by weight, distance and size of the boxes..so I'm thinking the rolls might even be a higher rate. I just calculate the per lb shipping rate and I figure out how much that comes out to per roll and add that on to my price for the batting..I end up charging about a dollar or two less than the LQS.

The majority of my customers get their batting from me and it's a nice little profit..I buy the individual rolls also, much easier to store and handle.

Wow, that is a lot to pay for shipping!

A couple of weeks ago I ordered 2 120" rolls of Hobbs 80/20 from Quilted Memories in Overland Park, Kansas. Lyn Heilman had posted on here that she was running a shipping special. It was $15 a roll for me here in Central PA. It was shipped using the USPS parcel post. According to the shipping label, the regular cost would have been about $18 a roll. I was pleasantly surprised when they were shipped on a Monday and I got one roll on Wednesday and the other on Thursday. (They probably came to me on separate days because our mail carrier delivered them to my door and she drives a very small car.)

Lyn was very nice to talk to and advised me that they would have to shrink wrap my rolls because if left as is, they would be considered oversized and the shipping would be way more. She said to take off the shrink wrap right away and they would puff up again. Earlier this week I cut off a piece to use and it was in great shape.

On a similar note, the last packaged Hobbs 80/20 that I purchased locally was rough feeling and really wrinkled. (I steamed it before using to both soften it and release the wrinkles.) Lyn had posted that the new Hobbs was softer. She was right. The piece I just cut is really soft and just feels nice right off the bolt. So far I am very pleased with it.

I just received a roll of batting from Hobbs when they had their special for folks going to MQS. I got a bit of a discount for wholesale and paid $15 for shipping (regular $25) The problem? They take the center cardboard roll out, shrink wrap it and send it not in a box. That makes it cheaper for them. Problem is, while it was sitting in front of my desk at work, it looked obscene.:o Now that I have it home, I'm afraid to open it for fear it will explode and then the yurt will be burried in drifts of batting:D:P:D

When I started my business I ordered the 8 case/roll minimum directly from Hobb's and paid for 2 rolls and 6 cases about $600 and about $130 shipping (mind you this was in Jan. of 09'). I also ordered a bunch from Quilter's Dream and subsquently from them with high shipping (but not as bad as Hobb's). Hobb's anything on the roll is OK, out of the packages the wrinkles are terrible! Now I'm going to become a PA distributor for Pellon/Legacy (one of the head guys from Hobb's who left to start this own batting line). The battings are very similar to Hobb's (but better - softer and more consistent) and Quilter's Dream. You may want to try their line (see if there is a distributor in Maryland!) Good luck!

Roseann Noll

Elysburg, PA

Phoenix Rose Quilts

http:/www.phoenixrosequilts.com

For anyone not needing a lot, Hancocks of Paducah has QD and others and runs a free shipping ad (2 batts) about once a month, get on their email list, they have low enough prices for those of us who don't need great quantity. The kings have a lot of square inches for the $.

Jessica,

I just thought I would pass this on..since I have the invoice out. In December of 09 I ordered 3 rolls of batting from Quilters Dream. 2 were king size rolls of Select Natural Cotton and one was Poly Deluxe also a king roll, at the time that I placed my order they were having a special that one roll ships for free, but even with that my shipping was only $58.00. I live in the Northern tip of California...5 hours north of San Fransisco, a very forgotten part of California. If your not familiar with Quilters Dream you can call them and they will send you some samples. 888-268-866

(just for the record..I do not have any affiliation with Quilters Dream Company)

anyway! I hope this helps!

Lori

I also order from Quilter's Dream, like Heidi and my shipping charges are also around $25-40 per roll. I find that the batts are much more expensive to ship than the rolls are. I also find that I have much more waste with the batts, so all in all it is a better deal for me to get rolls.

You live so close (compared to me) to QD, that I bet your shipping charges would be even less from them then mine are. (And no, I am not affiliated with QD in anyway except as a customer. ;-)

If you have your business license, you can also order batt from Checker Distributors in Maumee, Ohio. They charge Freight on shipping batting but I don't remember it being that bad.

The last batt I bought from them was during their open house so I just drove back home with it. I don't do that much quilting so a roll lasts me a while.

Archived