Info on replacement of Singer needles and Picture of new Needle packs

First of all Happy Mothers day to all the mothers out there!

Yesterday my monthly group of LAer's met to shop and lunch. We always have a topic for the month and this month it was the Singer needles and what the new ones are called and what the package looks like, etc.

Boy, there is a lot of confusion. So I started to search for all the info that is on our forum and I must be doing something wrong as I can't find it.

Can you folks help me out? I need a picture of the NEW package AND where you folks are ordering them as it seems most of my LA friends are going to be out of stash of the old Singer needles soon. I want to present this info at next months gathering in June.

Our topic for next month is alternate bobbins beside winding your own!! Any input on that would be appreciated also!! Or just join us in Kennesaw Georgia. Its a fun group! :P

Check out Dawn's blog on the home page of APQS - Quilt Talk. She talks about the needles and there are pictures.

I have been using the Magna Glide bobbins from Fil Tec and the prewould SuperBobs from Superior. I wind my own if I need a certain color that I don't have in the prewounds.

I just tried the Magna Glide bobbins from Fil-Tec and they worked perfectly. I'm very impressed with them and intend to bring some home from MQS next week. You can check them out here http://www.fil-tec.com/category/53 . Someone on the forum has them available, also. I've used Super Bobs and wound my own, but the tension is significantly better for me when I use the Magna Glide. That translates to no top thread dots on the back.

Needles?? Singer's were bought out by Groz Beckert. I think John Mitchell (from our Forum) carries them and you can get packs of 100. I thought he'd chime in, but they may be on the way to MQS!!

Here ya go countrylanequilting.com Go to the website and email him.

Carmen,

Thanks for you input on the bobbins. I have thought about trying those and I think I got a sample. I know the people on this forum have had discussions on winding their own on the sewing machine winder and had not tension problems. I tend to buy prewounds for the most part. But a lot of the ladies in the group want to get away from winding their own!!!

Linnea Marie,

I will get the gals to write John an email... when he gets back!! Have you used the new GB needles yet? I know there was a string of messages on this I was hopping someone would send me the link... I just can't remember when we had a discussion on this subject?

Beth

Most all of the APQS sales rep staff have needles and additional needed supplies. Have you contacted your local sales reps to see what they have or to make a order. It takes the concern out of wondering if you have the correct needles as we all get our supplies from APQS. I personnally still have a huge supply of the old Singer needles in 3.5 and 4.0's as well as the new ones.

Janet and Mary are at MQS (as most of you know Mary is the president of IMQA). Janet is the the Judging room coordinator and Country Lane Quilting is a corporate sponser of MQS. We do carry the MR needles at a great price. If you buy 100 they are $35 mix and match sizes. MR 4.0 are in the new green pack and the other sizes are in the old yellow pack (same needles). Single packs of 10 are $5.50. See this post for a complete price list.

http://apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=22000&page=1#pid270994

John

Archived