I'd like to formally introduce myself. I'm a new Milli owner as of last week and am having lots of fun getting to know my machine. I've been lurking for a couple of months and love this forum. I'm addicted! I would eventually love to quilt for others but realize that it will be an enormous challenge becoming a fantastic quilter. I have never really considered myself to be very creative or artistic. So we shall see. My family and friends think my quilts are fantastic but I laugh because they know nothing about quilting. So of course they look good to them.

Anyway, I live in Northwest Indiana have 3 young kids, was an elementary school teacher before becoming a mom and love to quilt because it makes me feel productive, sane and I feel great knowing that I have accomplished something that I am proud of.

It has been wonderful learning from all of you. I am envious of all of you who are attending the big show this week. Hopefully, that will be a possibility for me next year. In the mean time, I was wondering if any of you would recommend Long Arm University? Please let me know if there is a favorite book or DVD that a newbie shouldn't live without.

Thanks,

Janet Poulin

Welcome Janet! We looking forward to your participation in this wonderful group!

There are many books and DVD's. Linda Taylor has one for new Longarm quilters. And I've heard wonderful things about Darlene Epp's pocket guides (Formal Feathers and Freehanding). I'm planning to pick up the ones on Freehanding for myself.

I too am envious of all those who are in attendance at MQS. I made up for it by ordering some new toys for myself (templates). I do plan on going someday too.

You will love your machine. Enjoy the ride it takes you on!

Janet welcome to the forum. You live pretty close to Camp Mowana in OH and I would recommend that over the big shows any day. You would get 3 days of hands on and the learning goes on 24 hours a day if you want. Well worth the money. I've gone 3 years in a row. This year they will be coming to NY after so hopefully this will become a yearly event. You can find information of Deloa Jone's website: http://deloasquiltshop.com/

My favorite DVD's are Cotton Tracks by Jamie Wallen and Kimmie Brunners Whirly Twirly Feathers. Both break things down into small segments and you will learn so much.

Hi Janet, I echo Heidi, Welcome to the Insane world of quilting.. somehow I seem lacking in the descriptiive words about apqs forums. I think blubbering over Penny's post has done me in.

Congrats on the new Milli, and just relax, remember to breathe and ppp, then, ppp and ppp.

RitaR

Welcome Janet! Anything you need to know about LA is right here. Ask away and you will receive tons of help. If you can possibly have classes with Deloa Jones you will be so inspired. She is so caring and down to earth, no question goes unanswered. In the meantime, enjoy your machine and jump in here whenever you can. :cool:

I'm also a newbie, and still struggling with my machine. I like Kim Brunner's Machine Quilting for Beginners - she walks you through tools you might need, loading the quilt, and goes clear through the process of completing a quilt. I also have Linda Taylor's book and it is very informative. But I agree with the other posters - you can find out anything you need to know from the wonderfully helpful people on this forum.

If you have a specific question, don't forget to search for your topic (and remember to set the search period for more than the default 1 week). I've discovered all kinds of useful info that way.

Good luck with your millie. I have an Ultimate I with no stitch regulator. I thought that would be the most difficult thing to overcome, but I'm discovering that just controlling the head to get it to stitch where I WANT it to is much harder than I had thought it would be.

Welcome Welcome Welcome Janet!

I am a newbie too. Don't know anything about Longarm University, but I did join MQResource as a premier member, and with that get access to all their Premier videos. There are alot of them. I love Deb Levy's videos there.... and the price is really reasonable for all you get. I too, have all of Myrna Ficken's videos, and two by Kim Brunner.... they each have one for beginners, and they are both great! You learn some different things from each, so I would highly recommend getting both the beginner DVD's to start with

Good luck and congratulations on your new venture!

Archived