Who won MQS? Please share!

I was able to volunteer during the judging period. Criteria for the category was announced then each quilt in the category was evaluated. One looked at the overall quilt then the other focused on the quilting both adding comments positive and negative. The ones that did win had EXCELLENT workmanship, matching seams where piecing was involved, straight lines, smooth curves, fabulous starts/stops and attention to All details. There in lies the problem with some of the fabulous quilts that did NOT win their categories because they didn't submit their quilts in the correct category i.e. traditional quilting had to have complementary rather than metalics or contrasting stand out thread. There were at several quilts in that category where the quilter didn't key on that prohibition; and yes the judges agonized over that, even consulting the staff for policy. (The quilter should have entered those quilts in the Innovative category.)

There were no indications of who made the quilts when the judging took place. Each quilt was evaluated and remarks made, & comment sheets scribed. Then judges indicated if the quilt was held as candidate for an award. The once all were evaluated in the category then the the HOLD group was reviewed at the same time and winners chosen. From my point of view it was very fair. MQS did a good job and so did the judges.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly-- the year I was in the judging room there were a few quilts that the judges "agonized over" but the criteria in the category didn't meet the quilting or design of the quilt. It was almost as if the quilt would have placed higher but rules of the category were not followed. Yes, if you enter any show pay attention to the rules of the category, it's surprizing how many are eliminated due to that. Like don't add metallic thread to a traditional quilt category that excludes it. I've heard (can't confirm) that one of Linda Taylor's quilts was not judged in a show because of the category selected--this is hearsay. In other words think about the category you are entering it in.

Also don't send them in covered with pet fur, smelling of cigarette smoke, or other possible negatives as they may be rejected. In other words make sure you defuzz and eliminate any oders from your quilt before shipping. I was opening up quilt boxes at one show and had to leave because the cigarette odor sent me into an asthma attack-- after being reviewed that quilt was not judged. due to unacceptable strong odors--it did not matter how perfect that quilt may have been.. The judges and the event managers think about the effects of the quilts on the viewers. So send in a clean odor free quilt.

Also make sure your lines that should be straight are, your binding have the proper amt. of fill, the quilting is even so your quilt lies straight, and your quilt lies even all the qy aroundand you have no dangleing threads. Now thats in addition to quilting aspects like terrific tension, appropriate quilting, and excellant excution of the quilting. No challanges here etc........... grins jeri

Linda Taylor's quilt was disqualified at MQS a couple of years ago....she was not happy.

One quilt I noticed at MQS was like 3rd place, had long threads that needed to be clipped on the front. I was very surprised that it had a ribbon. I thought that was something that really mattered, not that time.

Archived