Wool Batting

I am sill working on my Sampler Quilt (104") but I am about 3/4 th's the way complete.

This is the first Wool Quilt I have done. It is a dream to quilt but it is kinda flat right now.

I understand Wool quilts look even better once they are washed. I used Hobbs Wool.

What is the proper way to wash this quilt and is it done before or after the binding is attached? Is it good or bad if it felts? Do you put it in a washing machine or tub?

Will it need to be blocked? Just curious as I haven't done a wool quilt before.

Let me know if there is something else I should know. Will it puff more once it is washed?

Grammie

With the Hobbs Wool batts I wash mine in tempid to cold water with the Tide for cold water...and the regular downy that I always use.... AND after you have finished the binding....I don't know of anyone that has ever washed a quilt before binding was complete it would distort the edges and ravel the material.....as for blocking some need it and some don't, but they are easy to block either on the carpeted floor or a blocking wall.

With a quilt this large I personally go to the laundry and use a large large machine because I don't want to have any agitation on my quilt....I always run a load of clothes through it first so that I know that there isn't something funny in the machine. Once I didn't do that and someone had put a huge amount of Clorox (bleach of some sort) in the machine and never ran it....needles to say it really messed up my quilt.

Archived