MQS Attendees - What did you buy?

I wasn't able to attend this year. Hopefully next year! Thanks to everyone who shared their pictures. All the quilts I've seen so far look so beautiful! Congrats to all the winners and all the entries.

Last year you shared with us some of the great items that you got at the vendor's mall. Will you please share with us again?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Irena Bluhms's book, ordered 2 rolls of batting that I needed, 2 of Pam Clarke's stencils (I buy at least one stenci/book combo a year but the books were not avail. ) DeLoa's 12" curved cross hatching ruler, and a sports panto that I didn't want to pay shipping on, some Phil-tec Glide thread to try. They sold out--why didn't they bring thread to the show??? .

Would have purchased additional Dover books but they were not at the show this year.I guess i'll have to order those online from Dover.

Would have loved to purchase the Quiltazoid however the budget does not allow .l will save my pennies for later. tis an awesome tool. Hopefully that will be on shopping list for next year if not sooner. .

I'm slowly accumulating Irena's and Pam" s books. Pam was sold out of the books so I bought the stencils. ?? Pam always sells out of some of her books, why dosen't she bring the # of books to match her stencils???? bought the textile medium tha Irena recommended- not avail the show. Nor were the paintsticks by Shiriva recomennded by Jodi Robinson. Might make good sense to have products recommended by the teahers avail at the show.

I've been quilting for many years so I know exactly what I want when I go to a show. the only impulse purchase was DeLoa's cross-hatch ruler. Some of my purchases did not happen because they were not available. I would have purchased the textile medium and possibly paintsticks ( if avail @ wholsale) at the show as recommended through classes. . They were not avail . jeri

An Irena Bluhms's book, some thread guides for my Gammill, lot's of thread, Rick's Maintenance Library DVD, the Ultra Magnifier Light, (love that!), 1 pair of 144" zippers (I've installed them on my batting bar). I'm moving and didn't want to get a lot of stuff I'll have to move!!!

Fil-Tec Glide and Magna Glide bobbins, two quilting books, Sue Patton's new book, two books and two stencils from Pam Clark, black light power - and I think I asked just about every vendor if they had it! Finally found it at the last place that I asked. :D One silk Hobbs batting, Miracle Chalk, and two Famore clipper/snippers. Nothing astounding or exceptional about my shopping. :D

where to start......

well let's just say I paid $60.00 for my extra luggage on the plane. Probably should have just shipped, it would have been easier, but then I would have to pay duty when I picked it up. I guess it all works out.

Just a thought, can one ever have too much thread?

And, exactly how much is too much thread?

I hope someone can help me with this.........

I can't help myself, I love to shop and pretty thread at a great price is one of my weaknesses.

I also bout a few DVDs from Myrna and one from Claudia and one from Irena.

If you see someone in the Dallas airport watching quilting DVDs come over and say hi!!!!

Lisa

I bought a few threads, bobbins, fabric, batting, Judy Allen digitized CD, needles, and I don't remember what else. Too long ago. There is no such thing as too much thread, too many shoes or purses or compartments in which to put things!!!! I think the most fun was meeting some of you.

Welcome, Kathy

Lisa -- no, you cannot have too much thread.

Mary Beth -- just touching the thread does NOT count.

Jeri -- I have searched unsuccessfully for a long time for a wholesale source for paintsticks, I believe there is none. Dick Blick is not too bad. The good news is they last for years, do not dry out, and a little goes a very long way, so they are actually an investment.

Kathy -- welcome, you'll love it!

Lisa -- no, you cannot have too much thread.

Mary Beth -- just touching the thread does NOT count. It was great meeting you at the show, thanks for being our Native Guide.

Jeri -- I have searched unsuccessfully for a long time for a wholesale source for paintsticks, I believe there is none. Dick Blick is not too bad. The good news is they last for years, do not dry out, and a little goes a very long way, so they are actually an investment.

I was only able to spend one day at MQS this year, just enough time to see the amazing quilts and do a lot of damage at the vendor mall! Biggest purchase was the QZ system, along with a few extra templates and the stylus for doing the long boards on the back. Also got some thread, a bamboo batt (super soft and drapes beautifully), a Towa gauge, Deloa's appliguide and a couple pieces of white sateen (108" wide X 3 yds for $15!!) for that wholecloth that I'm going to do "someday". I think I overdid it -- feeling a little buyer's remorse about spending so much $$$.

I think I'm fully equipped -- now all I have to do is ppp, get good enough to do customer quilts, and build a business so I can justify what I spent. Feeling a little stressed and apprehensive, especially after seeing the beautiful work that you all do.

marybeth - how does someone touch the thread and not take some home? i am so impressed with your self control.

laura - what is lightning stitich?

lisa - thread is like chocolate, there is no such thing as too much.

mary - you did some serious damage in only 1 day. you are my kinda girl!

Welcome, Kathy! Your DH is a keeper; you won't forget this birthday present.

Mary, maybe it's a good thing you were there for just one day. Just imagine the damage that you could have done in two!

And you can never have enough thread. I say, "I'll be done stitching when the world runs out of thread."

I purchased Paintsticks on eBay about a year ago. They probably weren't the colors that I would have chosen if I were to select the colors individually but I did get quite a large assortment at a very good price. They are safely tucked in a drawer and using them is one of those things that hasn't risen to the top of my "to do" list.

The shopping was fun but getting to visit with the gals from the forum was the best part of going to MQS.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I spent $28....total!!! I did so good...I'm so very proud of myself. I bet I picked up thread a thousand times in the Superior booth. Fortunately, Claudia spent the night and she has a big bag of thread...or eye candy as I like to call it.

Mary Beth, does Claudia know that you were shopping in her bag of thread? Wait until she finds out! :P

More Quiltazoid templates (of course), lots of thread (I'm just starting my business), and a few acrylic rulers for various things. I stuck to what I had intended to get...just more of it than I expected (meaning the thread). Too many beautiful colors to choose from! Can't believe Mary Beth just touched it. Maybe I got one that Mary Beth "picked up" and it will perform magically on a quilt for me!

Lisa - you really cannot have enough thread! Here is my post from awhile ago - case in point:

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=21071&page=1#pid256801

Thanks to everyone for sharing. I'm quite enjoying this shopping vicariously through my forum buddies!

Mary Beth - I admire your reserve, I couldn't have done it!

Archived