New Techniques? New Stuff??

Hi.

With all these great shows comes new classes and new LA stuff. What did you get, what did you learn??

I took the APQS Maintenance class and learned how to take good care of my machine. We learned how to raise the hopping foot, how to really clean it out, how to change the motor brishes, how to time the machine and so much more. Well worth the time!

I got some Circle Lord big boards and love how quickly you can finish a quilt. Very professional results and so easy.

I only got two spools of thread...not sure how I managed that! One variegated yellow and a mono.

Also got some fabric...

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NJ

My favorite class was Deb Levy's class on what to put in those wide borders. It was an hour teaching, then 2 hours of trying out the ideas. I left early after the teaching because I can try out ideas at home. What was a really great surprise was the DVD that came with the notes she gave us. There was over an hour of additional teaching and ideas. The ideas were very useful as well as beautiful. I could pause the DVD and take pictures with my camera and then put in my ideas notebooks. I have already used her suggestions and am looking forward to those huge borders now.

Took DeLoa Jones class on borders at MQS in Kansas. It was so helpful to learn some techniques and how to fill the corner, keep quilting, and go down the side. She sure packs in a lot of information and I have a cheat sheet to remember what she covered.

Took Sherry Rogers-Harrison's class on wholecloth and finished a small piece in four hours, stitched on the Innova machine which she represents. The techs were very helpful and the machine worked smoothly. Though I am so happy with my Millennium because of it's responsiveness, keeping up with me, micro handles for fine work, etc. This class did give me a lot of confidence to go forward with wholecloth. Bought both the new tools that Sherry had which are small and fit in my hand easily.

Really enjoyed two classes on wearables - one by Linda Thiefold and the other by Gina Perks. Now have the knowledge level necessary to make some garments. All my questions were answered and can't wait to design one of the four projects that I had already. Such a good tip to load the thin batting, then the top cloth, lay out patterns horizontally, making allowances for ease, and stitching all the pieces in one big cloth, then cut them out. Lining of jackets comes lastly.

Also had a class with Birgit Schuller on a variety of freehand stitches to use in blocks, borders, and sashes. We worked on APQS machines for this class, taking turns with a partner, two heads on each frame, and had a chance to practice each pattern of stitches. This class was good for building confidence too.

All the teachers were so helpful, energetic, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable. MQS was a great experience. Bought 19 pounds of things from shopping at the booths. Unfortunately there was no shipper at the convention to make it easy to get home, and no scale to weigh by suitcase. Made it home okay by carrying some things.

Viewing quilts was like taking classes as I made mental notes of how techniques and stitching patterns were used. Lots of inspiration in those lovely quilts. Photos are so helpful in documenting ideas.

Vicki

Archived