Does anyone have a batting roll holder solution?

Ok, this is kinda cute, but I doubt my customers are really too hot on the idea of having baby drool on their batting...hehee

So--does anyone have a creative idea for a batting holder of some sort? I need to build something (and inexpensively), just not sure where to start. Any pics you might have would be really helpful. Thanks a million!

Baby-Batting-2.jpg

Well I think you have the perfect "holder" right there. What a cutie I have a shelf unit in my studio that holds my circle lord templates and various other things and the bottom shelf is where I store my batting. I know several of our family have holders they have posted pictures of. hopefully they will chime in here soon

another idea

mine is a 1.5" fence post (12' long to match the table length) that sits on 2 hooks that were welded to my frame. Simple, inexpensive and easy to get the batting off the rolls and cut straight.

The only downside is this...if you want storage under your table...no can do. The batting takes up the space. ;)

post--13461904138543_thumb.jpg

I'm at the quilt shop, so no pictures, but mine is currently on plant stand with wheels, and then a long dowel in the center to drop the quilt roll onto. Spin the roll and the batting comes off, measure the correct length and cut. However, I also love Kristina's design. I'd love to do that too, but then I remembered all the stuff that's already being stored under the LA, and where it would have to go. Guess I'll stick with plan A for now.

Thank you all...I think I am going to do something similar to Kristina's set up. I don't have access to a welder, but that gave me the idea of maybe just installing the pole onto the walls--my machine just bearly fits between two walls, so I could attach the rod there.

I also found some other good ideas on the "My Studio" forum. I'm still finding my way around here! Thanks all!

I hang mine from 2 eye bolts in the ceiling, metal conduit,10 ft long,and a rope to extend trough the pipe,tie a knot in each end of the rope, Hook 1 bungee into the first endof the rope,then hook it into the eyebolt. Do the other end the same way. If you need it shorter just wrap the bungee cord around the conduit more times.. Carol :P:P I have hung up to 3 rolls from the same conduit.

I saw a great idea on here before - a closet full of batting rolls! Then you can close the doors and keep them all drool free...... I mean neat and clean.;)

Using closet poles and holders from Menards or Home Depot, if you have the space to put them.

• 3 months later...

Someone on here had a great holder for batting. If I remember correctly it was 2-3 horizontal rods in a cabinet for 2-3 rolls of batt that would be up against a wall. The rods were one above the other. The rolls of batt pulled out under a metal guide and onto a cutting table, I think someone's husband designed and made it, sorry I can't remember who it was. There are so many great ideas on this site.

Dianne

There are some posts by vivianmable that show her wonderful solution. She used wire shelving, velcro to hold the poles, and hung several rolls on that shelving. The shelving unit is on wheels so she can roll it over to her cutting table. I did a similar thing, using two 36" high and 36" wide units that support a 4x8 cutting surface, one on each end. Velcro straps attached to the top shelves hold two 6' wooden closet poles which hang side by side between the 2 shelving units and under the cutting surface. This is probably clear as mud -- I really need to learn how to post pictures.

I make whatever fits I guess, Here's what I did for my batting storage. Ease of use is always my determining factor.

Photo 1) Front view of main batting rack.

Photo 2 ) Side view, I store all my miscellaneous zippers, tape measures, upholstery ruler, etc. on the side.

Photo 3) I use an upholstery ruler to make a line with disappearing ink and cut with scissors--nice and straight-no waste. Details-- I throw the tape measure over the roll, hold the end with the batting end and roll off the amount I need, the tape measure rolls forward with the batting for an accurate measure,then I mark it and then use the ruler for the line and scissors to cut. The ruler goes up against the 2x6 boards and keeps everything square and straight.

Photo 4) Shows the notch I cut to allow the 1-1/4 inch pvc to slide down in, the caps glued on the end of the pipe keep it in place. I glued felt on the wood opening to allow the pvc to turn easy with the batting and not walk out of the slot. This particular holder is just 2x6x1-1/2 standard construction lumber. I used angle brackets on the floor to secure it and a board secured to the ceiling joists and screwed the tops of the 2x6's to it. Very sturdy. I measured each roll of batting I used to determine where the holes for the pvc are placed to accommodate the roll and some room to work. After drilling the holes, use a saber saw to cut the angles for the front opening about 15 degrees upwards of the hole, use a 1-5/8 or a 1-3/4 in hole saw and drill for the 1-1/4" pvc to fit. You'll have to use a level to mark the cieling and floor for the mounting to keep them straight. Put on some lavender paint and there you go.

Photo 5) I also make single brackets to hang my 120 batting and others from the ceiling in strategic places, ( out of the way of lights etc.

The 1-1/4 pvc fits right down the center of the batting tube, The upholstery rulers are made of aluminum and are 54" long. That determined the outside measure of the floor to cieling rack--54" Gives you enough room for just about any standard batting even with the three inches allowed for the 2x6 lumber width.

If you think I talk too much I do!LOL, If this all would be easier for me to do in person please send plane tickets and hotel reservations to our address, especially anyone from Europe, Austrailia, Japan,LOL Grasshopper.

Really if you have any questions please e-mail me--Dave

Batting%20Holder.jpg

Archived