long boards

hi all -

i spoke breifly with a longboard vendor at mqx - wished i had taken more time to learn about them. but i was so distracted by thread and all those pretty quilts...i have been reading all the websites and i am thoroughly confused now.

can you use longboards from any manufacturer with any stylus?

should you chose your stylus based on which company has the designs you like best?

is there a lot of tweaking involved with using boards from different manufacturers?

do any of you have a stylus that you think ISN'T designed well?

or any stylus that you think is far superior to the others and for what reason?

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by hmerrill

Meg,

I have RNS boards and can use them with my quiltazoid stylus and my Topper stylus. I think the biggest difference is the material the board is made out of. Some don't hold up as well as others. I've been extreamly happy with my RNS & QZ boards.

Topper stylus? what company is that? and i thought i had read them all!

how's the healing process coming, are you still being a good girl?

Originally posted by meg

yes - i found it with a search. but i dont need a circle tool - so that would be a waste of $ for me.

do you know anything about the rns stylus?

Meg it's not just a circle tool. You can use any small template from R&S Designs from the front. Or any small one from any other company in fact. And some of us use the single long boards from the front with the Topper as well.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Our QZ stylus works on the CL, RnS, and QuiltEZ boards...as well as the QZ long boards.

kristina - do you have to tweak it or the boards at all - i mean other than turning the knob on the top - or is it just set the boards and go?

Meg,

Yes the topper won't do you much good since you have the Quiltazoid. I have kept my Topper because I can do long boards from the front. I had one of the engineers I work with create a longer arm that allows me to do longer templates. Sorry the longer arm isn't available for sale. Hopefully Adam will eventually figure out a way to add a longer arm to the quiltazoid so that we can do long boards too from the front.

Originally posted by quiltingshirley

Longboards?

Okay, I guess you guys aren't talking about surfing.

Shirley...surfing was my first thought too! I was raised in South Texas on South Padre Island. Surfing is still in my blood. I would have brought my board with me to Nevada...but I live in a desert. ;) How I miss the water. :cool:

I use both Quilt EZ and RnS boards. Both work just fine. Quilt EZ boards are made of a harder material and are more expensive. I prefer the Quilt EZ stylus because it is spring loaded and can be raised and kept up out of the way, whereas the RnS stylus has to be removed from its holder. They may have changed their design since I purchased mine, it has been a few years.

Archived