How to set spacing between panto's

I eye ball it. Then I take my hopping foot across the quilt to make sure it dosen't overlap the previous row. Pretty scientific huh?! ;) Marcia Stevens says to measure the lenght of your quilt vs the width of your panto and evenly space it on your quilt. I don't like the way it looks, and I don't mind having a partial row on the bottom of the quilts. None of my customer have even noticed and if they did they don't seem to care.

Okay I have a question regarding pantos....personally I have avoided them like the plague... The 5 or 6 that I have done have turned out beautiful, but I always figured that I got lucky more so than I knew what I was doing.

HOW do you keep from going down the quilt and finding that your last row will have to be sewn with half a design on the quilt and half a design on the leader canvas?

I have never had this happen, so I figured I got lucky...I need your opinion on this.

I'm a newbie, but will share what I was taught. I always use the dotted design at the bottom [ it's a portion of the design ] as my first row. This is where you would line up for turning. Then if you don't end with a full row it still looks good. If I have to do a portion of a row I put a long piece of thin molding on the panto to show where the edge of the quilt is. I hope this makes sense !!:D

So what you are saying is that its okay if you have a half design on the bottom....that its not a total cardinal sin if that happens.....I guess I was always panicky about something that wasn't an issue however the LQS that I use to quilt for was always talking the customers out of them (not that it hurt my feelings at all)...they would tell them it was impossible to get them perfect so they didn't recommend them. It didn't make any difference what I put on the quilt, panto, meander, custom or heirloom it was the same price per square foot.

Thanks for your help...maybe now I won't stay away from them so much...they have come out with some very pretty ones in the last few years, but I wasn't ready to crawl out of that box, now maybe I will.

I thought I read that too!

I may be wrong about putting a partial pattern on the last row, but for me I am trying to fill in all of the empty space. If there is not enough room for a whole row, but enough that it needs to something, then I just do part of it. Sometimes I watch and just follow the pattern to the edge of the quilt and sometimes I so the whole pattern, depending on how much stitching ther will be hanging off into the batting.

I like the space between my pantograph rows to be spaced about the same as the spacing within the pattern itself. If most of the lines are 3/4 inch apart in the pattern then the next row is spaced about the same. It also does help if you are really "scientific" about it and follow along the pattern with the machine turned off to make sure you don't have any overlapping areas and that the spacing is good along the edges where the next row will be quilted.

Yes, Melanie and Mary Beth, you read correctly....I use to quilt exclusively for a LQS in Northern Nevada and it didn't make any difference what I put onto the quilt it was the same price. They charged $2.50 a square foot and then took 25% off that and gave me the rest...which means I got to keep about $1.87 with which I maintained a 400 square rented shop with all the goodies that goes with a business, (LA payments, phone, electricity, insurance, IRS 1099, etc etc). Thank God, I have a great understanding hubby that wanted nothing better for me than to see my dream and to make it work. Not to mention kill myself with all that needed to be done to make ends meet.

Which I did for almost 8 years (1997 - 2005), but now I have moved to the east coast and can make my OWN rules and start over with a new name and new clients. I haven't gotten my new website up and running yet, but am working on getting my new home shop up and running with hopes of being open for business again by fall.

When I got my machine in the fall of 1997 I was the only LA quilter in Northern Nevada (the closest one was 350 miles away), and I got scared when I didn't get business right away....I had been told that they would be knocking my doors down and they didn't so after about 1 year of hubby making my shop payments I grabbed the best offer that I had been offered and that was the excluisve quilting job with the LQS....there were many draw backs by doing this....they didn't WANT ANYONE to know who I was and they wouldn't let anyone talk to me...If I needed to talk to a customer I was to introduce myself as the quilter for ________ and then talk only about their quilts and not answer any personal questions of "How do I reach you directly" or "I would like to meet with you in person". IF the customer had to meet with me personally I would come in the back door of the quilt store to make it look like I came in from a back room....not that I had dropped everything and ran into town 12 miles away breaking all speeding records...they would tell the customer I was in the back and would be out as soon as I got into a spot where I could quit and be right out. Another draw back is that I have tons of awarded quilts out there and the customers know that the LQS shop quilter did them, but my name isn't associated with them in anyway nor do I have pictures of them....I had a few customers figure out who I was, but I had to be very careful as to who they were and not a trap to trick me into crossing the verbal contract that I had that I wouldn't do anyones quilt that didn't go through the LQS. I hated to be deceitful, but I needed the money sometimes to make the bills, not alone eat. So you can see why I'm very happy now that I get to make the rules and hope to start a whole new life as a quilter.....

Janet, Thank you for your idea of doing a partial design on the top as well as the bottom...I like that. I didn't like the idea of a full one at the top and the chance of having only a half of one at the bottom....Thanks I'll try that from now on. I just love some of the overall pantos...maybe I will invest in some now. I do have a few of the older ones, but they aren't anything like todays.

Thanks for letting me ramble...its still makes me angry that I let someone take advantage of me for so long....its a lesson well learned and now that the stress has healed I'm ready to get back into the swing of things and start fresh.... Happy quilting to all.

Sounds like the quilt maffia. They wanted to own a piece of you & your talent. Too bad that some people are like that & how did they sleep at night? I wouldn't have been able to keep all of that a secret because I'm the type of person that if you ask me a question, I'll tell you the answer to the best of my ability. What a pressure cooker you were in. I can see why you are feeling so "free" now. As soon as you get your site up, let us know. I would love to see some of your work.

Hay Bonnie:

When I did my first panto, I quilted a small portion of the canvas leader to the quilt, & I spent about 20 min's unpicking it.

So what I did on the last two panto's, is, when I get close to the bottom of the quilt top, I un-pin it from the leader (just the top, not the back) & then pin it to the batting & back.

Now I'm still very new at this, but I don't like to pic much, & not when I have to stand to do it.

Also I was afraid that if I quilted through the leader enough times it would get very tattered.

I may be wrong in doing this, but it seemed to work, It stops me from worring about it at lest. ;)

I also have partial rows at the beginning and end of my panto quilts. I just load the quilt and layout the panto pattern and away I go! No measuring for me :D. I tape a yard stick onto my table at the beginning (and end) of the quilt to mark where I need to stop stitching to avoid the leaders. I use a yardstick cut in half to mark the sides too. As soon as the laser light falls on the yardstick, I know I am in the "margin" where the binding will be sewn on.

I don't measure for the top and bottom of pantos either. I eyeball the sides but if I don't have the quilt sqaure that will be a little off too. I don't think most people even notice that the top and bottom aren't equal. I always start with a portion of a row so when I get to the bottom the chances are pretty good that will be only be a partial row also. I use blue painters tape to mark the sides and top of a row when I start/end. Works for me! Deanna-you're right, the yardsticks were a pain. I just got that tip from a 6-year quilter at a class. Why didn't I think of that? In the class I just took, Jamie Wallen, he doesn't even draw out or mark his feathers. I like his method and it looks awesome!! A competition quilt may be a different story but I'm far from there.-Marie

Thanks ladies for your words of well wishes and great tips....YES, I do feel free, but more so I feel rested and ready to go back out and start over...I had no idea how stressed I was until I had gotten off the merry-go-round and looked around me and realized that I was FREE.....yippee yippee. That in itself has taken a year, I have only just set up the beast and even tryied to find the material stash which I brought out with me and am working on three quilts now, a new lemon and lavender bedspread, a friends yellow and multi colored baby quilt and a large black, white and red lap quilt.

So far my only competition quilts have been NV and CA state and local fairs, and NV and CA state and local quilt shows....I personally had 3 quilts hang in a NQS show when it was held in Reno several years ago, but that was for my own, as I wanted to have the judges comments on three of my own that had taken something in a state fair, I wanted to see the judges comments to compare notes of each event.

I can't wait until I feel I'm in the league with some of our legends, Judy L, Karen Mc, Dawn etc.

Patty you can see a little of my work on my webshots...there isn't much there its what I could round up from a customer/friend that decided she liked me better directly than the LQS...and was able to keep the shhhhh shhhh secret :D The camera shots aren't that great its what her hubby took while at the show....I never dreamed I would be in the place I am now and needing something to show others.

Thanks again and hugs to you all.

• 5 months later...

I am with you guys.. I eye ball it too. somtimes I do echo the pattern at the top. I start at the bottom so I end at the top. Then they will also know which is the top and bottom of the quilt. I also pin the top to the backing and do a row then unpin it and keep going. eyeballing the distance between the rows.

Guest Linda S

Most pantos now-a-days are meant to nest together. Don't space them out, or they will look weird. I purposefully quilt about half a row at the beginning of the quilt and then nest the rows together as I go down the quilt. If I end up with a partial row, it just makes it look all the more natural. To me, rows of panto with spaces in the middle looks contrived.

Linda

I love doing pantos and can breeze through them pretty easily. I don't measure either, just take off at the top, sometimes a partial row looks better at the top to fill in areas. When I roll the quilt, I usually put the foot on the top of the previous stitched row and then line up the laser; so I have a foot's width between rows. So far this has worked really well for me. I ALWAYS go across the whole quilt to make sure it will not overlap. Did not do this ONCE and had a mess. Lesson learned to take a few minutes to check all the way across the quilt. Right now I'm doing my first partial panto which means I've done something separate on the border and the panto in the main area of the quilt. I had to figure out the best starting and stopping places on the panto but I like the way it is turning out now. Luckily the quilt had a little "flippy" between the quilt and border so I can hide my starts/stops under it. I've yet to master going to the front of my machine and doing a pattern with the laser. It's just not comfortable yet - more PPP I know.

Another suggestion, if you are bothered by only having a partial row on the bottom, turn your quilt upside down (bottom where the top would normally be). Then if you end up with a partial row it will be under the pillow and hidden. When you look at the quilt on the bed you will see a complete row. Do keep in mind that if the pattern had a direction (top and bottom) you will need to turn that as well. The spacing is really up to you. As Linda said a lot of the pattern are designed to nest together so eyeball it a see what looks best. Also a lot of patterns are double row so follow the spacing between the rows to keep it consistent. Pantos? are really a less expensive way for the customer to go and have a beautiful utilitarian quilt that they or the receiver of the quilt are going to use, love, and wash. Keep every thing consistent and try no to overlap the rows and all will be good. I will also add that there is lots of awesome pantos available. Very open and simple to very detailed and dense. Your pricing should reflect the designs as well and time as well. Only my thought, have fun.

Pantos Are Great

I've been LA quilting for nearly two years now and about half my work is with Pantos. I really enjoy freehand and other creative designs but when a nice large quilt comes in ready for a Panto I'm delighted. It's fast dollars and easy on my brain between custom work.

Here's what I've worked out for nesting patterns and creating designs at the top, bottom and sides if I'm not doing a full edge-to-edge. I use a dry erase marker directly on the clear sheet that covers the panto. Just draw the lines you need to fill out the last line of quilting or to connect the end of a row and begin the next without having to break and start over.

If the pattern is printed with the "ghost" lines for setting the next row of quilting then, using the laser light, I drop the needle down on that line and roll the quilt to the corresponding same point for the next row of quilting. If the pattern is not pre-printed then I just make a quick pencil copy on a plain piece of paper and slide it up under the clear cover until it's in the correct place and mark that with the dry erase pen. Same thing. Drop the needle and advance the quilt. After you clamp the quilt and get everything in position, just double check your spacing by eye as you move the machine freely back and forth. Sometimes I've smoothed or tightened the quilt and have forgotten it was already set in place and either quilted too close or too far. oops.

The dry erase comes off easily with a tissue if you don't let it set for days and days. But if you do then it will still wash off with any kind of alcohol based product. I use a body mist, intended for cooling your tired parts on a hot day ~~ really!

I don't do a whole lot of pantos, but when I have, they usually work out fairly well. I measure the quilt, divide it by the depth of the panto, allowing for the nesting of the next row, and then I know how many repeats I will have fit in and how much I will have left over. I can then adjust the distance between my rows, sometimes it's only a little bit and can be done in the last 2 or 3 rows.

In reading all the replies to this subject, it seems as though everyone does their pantos going across the quilt, I have always done mine going from top to bottom with the sides of the quilt attached to the rollers. Am I doing this wrong? :o

Archived