SID/Applique

I saw a line about using a slower speed with the micro-drive handles to outline applique. Of course, I can't find it again! Can someone explain how this works? I have a Liberty -- do I disconnect the regulator to slow the speed? Is it wobbly stitches when moved slow? I have an applique piece coming in a couple weeks and could use advice. Thanks!

Hi Mari-Lee,

When stitching around appliqu?. I use the micro-drive, machine speed on low (whatever that might be for you) no stitch regulator. Use your base expander for better control. At times I only guide the MD with one hand and use the other to nudge the fabric a bit when needed.

Myrna

If you are unsure about the steadiness of your line when outlining applique use a ruler/plastic template as a guide of sorts. It doesn't matter what shape it is, you will move it around the applique shape. Basically it just helps you keep steady. Be sure to post pictures when you finish it.

That's a good tip Teresa. I do that sometime as well. Remember your are going as slow as you need to in manual. Your goal it precision. It really makes the appliqu? pop and look crisp! If you use your fingers to move the fabric a bit keep be careful. It can hurt when you catch the tip of your finger with the hopping foot

Myrna

I don't have a Micro Drive and do a lot of applique and art quilts. I'm seriously thinking about buying one, preferably a used one. Anyone have one they would like to sell. I have seen a few people on this list that don't use theirs and others who wouldn't be without them. Decisions,decisions.

Archived