ironing table?????

cblevins

Since mom isn't here with me anymore, I feel the need to change things around. I have a table that I want to use as a pressing table. What do I cover it with and where can I purchase the stuff? I don't wanrt the heat to catch the table on fire!!!!!

Cheri, I believe what you want to use is Insul-Bright from the Warm Company. It should be available at JoAnns or Hancocks. If you need to protect the table you might use two layers, or a layer of W&N under the Insul-Bright. Then use the silver fabric that is available for covering ironing boards over it, and that fabric should also be available where you purchase the Insul-Bright.

Weeeellllllll, I just cover mine with cotton batting and duck. Pull it around back and staple it on. Yes, ole fashioned duck. when it gets dirty I just load another layer of duck. I do put a ceramic stone on it to rest the iron when not in use. I have done this all my life. This is pretty much the way the old fashioned ironing boards were make. One layer of duck will last you a couple of years.

I'm with you Sylvia

I haven't had any problems but the table I covered is not something that I really cared about either.

Besides being just easier covering the table with one layer of cotton batting and duck, I actually like it better. I prefer a harder pressing surface. When I first started quilting someone told me that a lot of piecing issues come from not using a proper pressing surface. Too soft of a pressing surface does not allow you to flatten the seam.

Just my opinion of what works best for me but there are always many other ways to do the same thing. ;)

Lisa:)

Hi Cheri,

My husband cut this regular size table down to 48" long x 24" wide x 33" tall. It has a butcher block type top. The first layer is heavy duty aluminum foil. Then two layers of Warm n' Natural batting and top is the Silver ironing board fabric. All layers rolled under and power stapled to the underside of the table.

The silver surface has been unbelievably durable outlasting any regular purchased ironing board cover made of the same material. I don't know exactly why, but I can remember replacing regular "silver" ironing board covers on my previous ironing board frequently.

This silver ironing board fabric has been on here for at least 4 yrs. ---maybe longer, and not one hole or any indication of needing to be replaced. It gets a lot of use, and as you can see there is hardly any wear n tear on the surface. Amazing really! I just wash it off once in awhile. The padding is just right as I don't like overly soft-plushy feeling ironing surfaces.

post--13461904153002_thumb.jpg

Sylvia,

What is "duck"? My DH made a plywood top that fits over my ironing board so that my ironing surface is 24" x 60". I covered it with one layer of W&N and then put a cover of muslin over the top. The muslin needs to be replaced so this info is very timely! I would like to use something more durable than muslin for the new cover so am curious as to what "duck" is and where I get it.

Thanks! :D

WOW! I want one just like yours. I will save this to favorites until we can find an old table. I'm not ready to have him cut mine but I bet I will find one at the Goodwill:P:P Thanks

Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi Cheri,

My husband cut this regular size table down to 48" long x 24" wide x 33" tall. It has a butcher block type top. The first layer is heavy duty aluminum foil. Then two layers of Warm n' Natural batting and top is the Silver ironing board fabric. All layers rolled under and power stapled to the underside of the table.

The silver surface has been unbelievably durable outlasting any regular purchased ironing board cover made of the same material. I don't know exactly why, but I can remember replacing regular "silver" ironing board covers on my previous ironing board frequently.

This silver ironing board fabric has been on here for at least 4 yrs. ---maybe longer, and not one hole or any indication of needing to be replaced. It gets a lot of use, and as you can see there is hardly any wear n tear on the surface. Amazing really! I just wash it off once in awhile. The padding is just right as I don't like overly soft-plushy feeling ironing surfaces.

Thanks Cheri, Besides a design wall. I think this ironing table is the best thing ever we have made for the sewing room. We found the table at an estate sale. Those long and somewhat narrow behind the sofa type tables work well for ironing tables too. I have a friend who used one of those---good luck with building your ironing table.

We made my pressing center out of two "Hobby Stations" from Chaparral Furniture, item #927W1.

We made the top out of left over pressed board from the construction of the sewing and cutting tables. Then I just covered it with a couple of layers of Warm and Natural batting and some cotton material. I have changed the fabric a few times but never the batting. It really has worked out well. Here is a picture and more are in my webshots in the Studio folder if you care to see it.

2623262540098991033S425x425Q85.jpg

My DH is VERY handy!! Would you mind posting a picture of your design wall? I don't have one yet.

Originally posted by Sparkle

Thanks Cheri, Besides a design wall. I think this ironing table is the best thing ever we have made for the sewing room. We found the table at an estate sale. Those long and somewhat narrow behind the sofa type tables work well for ironing tables too. I have a friend who used one of those---good luck with building your ironing table.

• 11 months later...

I've also used a heavier-weight decorator fabric to cover my ironing surface. I have a 6 ft. banquet table (like you see in a church basement), had DH cut a piece of plywood the same size as the table top and then covered that with batting then the fabric. When it gets dirty or worn, I change it out.

The last time I covered it, I had changed out my canvas leaders. I just repurposed the old leaders and recovered my ironing surface. :)

Patti H.

2011 Freedom S/R (just traded in my 2002 Millie)

www.quiltsfromthetrail.com

Guest Linda S

That silver ironing board fabric has a lot of chemicals in it. I'm with Sylvia on this one. Get yourself some basic cotton duck. I bought a sideboard at Ikea, got some plywood, covered it with cotton batting and duck, then put some quarter round on the bottom to fit it to the top of the sideboard. Lovely storage space with ironing on top!

Sharon Schamber has a youtube video on how to construct her pressing surface. You use a builder's press board (can't remember the 3 letters of it's name right now) covered by one layer of cotton batting (no poly here) and one layer of cotton duck cloth. Staple the batting & duck cloth or canvas under the board. I have a big one just sitting on the IKEA kitchen island I bought for a pressing table. It's heavy enough that it just sits on top of the original surface. This way I can do like Sylvia does & recover whenever the canvas gets nasty.

I bought two of those cube type bookcases, turn them on their side and treated them like one. Hubby built a base for them to fit into to keep them together. On one of the bookcases I didn't put the backer on. Then instead of putting in every divider I only put in every other giving me a very large opening. I found 4 large baskets to slide in there and I can store a lot of material in it. Then hubby made me a top for it and I put down a layer of cotton batting and then duck cloth over the top. Hubby recently put it on wheels for me so that I can move it around when I want to and it is the same height as my cutting table so I can use them together if I need to.

• 5 months later...

I did the same thing Sylvia did. I have a Container Store (Metro) silver shelving unit that stands desk high. The bottom shelf has a board on it for my feet (when the dogs aren't laying there as it has a doggie bed on it). The top shelf has 3/4" plywood cut just smaller than the shelf howver it does stick out on one side - rounded like the one end of an ironing board. I bought an ironing board cover and used the inside foam/batting then used duck (to match my studio) and stapled it to the under side of the plywood. The third shelf to this unit is just 3" down from the top and it houses my bobbins and Steady Betty. I have had this ironing board since 2008 and it has worked great. No warping although I will say that the duck needs to be switched out as it is full of water stains. Good luck.

I have a 24x48 plywood (3/8")board covered with the thinnest batting and a muslin top. It's portable, I take it everywhere. I lay it on my regular ironing board, or on a portable table. It's great for yardage (45") and fat quarters and those huge quilt backs. The reason I use muslin is because it's thin, a harder surface, and cheap to replace when starch and such builds up on the top. I tack it on the back with upholstery tacks which are easy to pull out.

I love seeing what everyone else is using. You never know when you'll find something better! Thanks for the post!

• 11 months later...

I re-purposed my artist's drafting table, the kind with a wood top that pivots on the legs. Aluminum foil over that to protect it from moisture, then used an old, heavy cotton drape folded it to fit the top. Over that, one layer of the silvery ironing board stuff.

It's a nice sized surface to press lengths on, the down side is that sometimes the top will tip because it's not permanently mounted to stay flat.

Archived