What are you working on?

Anyone working on anything really fun, or really boring? :o

I have a Jacobean quilt loaded that I'll start on in the morning. I'm really excited about it and would have started tonight but it's lightning so I think I'll just go to bed early! I'll take any excuse to go to bed at a decent hour.

Glad I'm not in your shoes but at least you're going to have a nice new room for your nice new machine. You'll have so much fun once your machine gets here that you'll be so glad you went through all the preliminary work you're doing now.

Good luck with the plumber.

My local guild is having its quilt show in September, and I just finished hand quilting an applique/pieced wall hanging to enter. I am also going to attempt a trapunto quilt on the LA for the show, which I will enter if it doesn't turn out too badly. I did a couple before using preprinted wholecloth panels, one of which wasn't TOO bad, but certainly nothing I'd put in a show. I am going to make a stab at designing my own this time and see what happens. I am also in the middle of piecing some simple twin-size quilts for my 3 grandsons, which I will then panto, and hopefully they will have them before the weather gets cold :D! I am also about to start marking, then hand quilting, a huge feathered star quilt I made for the 2005 local quilt show (my daughter told me not to ruin it by putting it on the longarm! Hopefully, one day, my putting something on the longarm will not "ruin" it ;)!) That's what I'm doing--what's everyone else doing?

Guest Linda S

Practice, Patience, Persistence, and Piecing! I have three blocks to piece this weekend. All for group projects. One is for a friend who lost her husband recently, one is for a friend who just bought her first house, the other is a pink ribbon block for a Girl Scout working on her Gold Award to promote breast cancer awareness. Other than that, I am practicing up a storm and preparing to take my first customer quilt. This one will be a simple meander, so I don't mind taking it ahead of my planned schedule. I know I can meander like a champ. I'm pretty good at stippling, I can make some nice leaves and trillium flowers, and I can do a nice burning bush panto border. I'm working on my feathers. They are not so hot. So . . . PPP!! :D I am having a good time though.

Cynthia - hang in there! I know how frustrating all that can be. I now have all the molding up (except the cover for the vent pipe) and my storage units begin to arrive tomorrow!! I have some wire basket units on wheels with melamine tops that should slide under my cutting table. Can't wait to get everything organized!

Busy, busy!

Linda

My machine is in a 10/12 X 45 foot office mobile which is two large rooms, lots of windows and glass sliding doors with a smaller room inbetween. I finally decided to turn the whole thing into a sewing studio for myself and quit cluttering the house. My sewing spills out of the sewing room into all the other rooms at times. Bought new wiring, paint, wallpaper, flooring and sheetrock two weeks ago. My husband who recently retired started the wiring and I worked on tearing out the old flooring. Just when I thought things were going to get done, he got called and ask to work as a consultant at his former place of employment. The offer was lucrative enough that he accepted (also he was bored staying home) so my 'work in progress' has ground to a halt. I am smiling on the outside and doing a slow burn on the inside!!! Seriously giving thought to hiring it done despite his objections. Grrrrrrrrrr! I can't quilt as long as the sheetrock remains to be done because of all the sanding and dust and loose insulation flying around. Thank goodness I didn't take customer quilts for the month of August but it looks like September will be a bust also. Seems like all I do lately is whine, sorry bout that. Meantime I am going to go cut out a couple of projects and bag them up, then sit down and piece. Piecing is very soothing for me and I really do need to get those Xmas things working. Did a class yesterday that was fun, Holiday Tablerunners and Mats, learned some new stuff. <VBG> I think I just need to find my 'groove' again.

Mary

I have been working with the Hartley Fence quite a bit lately ( I love it :D). Here photos of three quilts if you have a minute to take a look.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/30027162/171195452JsqSMh

http://community.webshots.com/photo/44868890/170775821ESTIlC

http://community.webshots.com/photo/114996639/168554083ttlnfW.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on a quilt that a client commissioned me to piece, quilt and bind. She found some embroidered blocks in her mother's house after she passed away and she wanted to have a quilt made using those blocks. She approved the design I proposed so I bought the fabric and started it about 3 weeks ago. My daughter-in-law and I have worked side by side on this project and it has been a lot of fun. We are thrilled with the way it is progressing and just hope our client is as happy with it as we are. I'll let you know.

I had planned on quilting one of my own quilts today. However on Thursday night I stepped on a nail and woke up this morning to find it infected. I can hardly walk on it. Called Doc and he said keep it elevated unless I am soaking it in epsom salt and warm water. So no LA or even DSM. I guess I will have to finish my book "The Wedding" by Nicholas Sparks, it has been good so far and recomend it to all. Diane

So sorry to hear about your foot,Diane.

I have been splitting my time between organizing my studio and practicing. Since I have had my machine, life has definitely been getting in the way of my time on it! :P I am currently quilting a"broken dishes" variation that I plan to give to my sister for Christmas. Since I have 7 brothers and sisters, I decided my practice quilts (provided they look decent enough) would make great gifts. I am quilting this one with a pantograph and it is making me think I am going to like freehanding it much better....hmmm...that is a lot different that what I had originally thought....

I am just finished the polyester quilt. I think putting on the 50/50 really help keep it stable, and it was the same size blocks, so gave me good line to keep it straight. Not too much stretching which really surprised me. NOw the next quilt has big pine trees on it I still don't know what I want to do on that, sometimes it would be easier, if people would tell you what they might want. I always lay out the next quilt, while I am working on one, to see if something hits me, but I am stumped. Any suggestions.

Guest Linda S

Tomorrow I get to deliver a finished quilt to a new born baby boy! This is my last (so far) hand quilted quilt. It is from a Carol Doak pattern. I changed the center block because I didn't like the one she used.

DSCN0378.JPG

You can't see the quilting very well. The ducks are riding on waves and the rest is hearts.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Merry - I think it's in a book called Paper Pieced Baby Quilts by Carol Doak. I also have the Foundation Factory CDs and I think the ducks are on the CD also. I work at the UO and our colors are green and gold and our mascot is Donald Duck. The quilt is for the baby of one of our faculty. So, green and yellow ducks! ;) It is paper pieced and was really fun to make.

Linda

Thank you for the info:-) I remembered that I won the book raffle last month at Guild and sure nuf, it is a paper piecing book and the duck is there. Now to get into the stash for the right fabric. I am paperpiecing impaired or so says the instructor so going to try it on my own.

Mary

I have my normal stuff going, but I also have a great client quilt in the works. It is all hand dyed triangles and I am doing a huge 'passion bird' in thread painting on it. I've done the background quilting and I'm now trying to work in getting that bird completely done before QTW, so I can give it to Her there.

I am also dyeing and painting with dyes/airbrushing tops, backs and other fabrics like crazy trying to get ready for Duluth.

Although, I figured I'd take a well earned break to read some posts for a few minutes today.

They are having a baby shower for our niece this coming Sunday. Her theme is "Jungle". I saw a quilt that was made several years ago. Perfect! It was almost impossible to find fabric. It took me 2 wks. to locate it and then there was only 2 yds left. I had none left over. Couldn't find pattern so had to redesign it. Started it Monday and finished it yesterday. Even found a "Jungle leaf and fruit" in Laura Fritz book that was perfect for the quilting

Shirley

Archived