changing needles

At MQS I took a maintenance class from Mike Moore (I think that is his name). He gave some information about how frequently to change a needle. He told a story of a lady who never changed a needle unless it broke, got a burr orhad some other visible reason to change it. I stopped changing my needle and have had no problems. I can't remember what Mike said about this but he gave a good reason why it is better not to change the needle. I think he said that domestic sewing machine needles are made of a different material that dulls and LA needles actually get better with use. Can you ask him to reelay the information again? And is there any source I can research this subject further?

Thanks

Mindy

I was just in chat room last nite talking about this. I thought I was gonna be tar'd and feathered 'LOL' when I shared that I hadnt changed my needle in 4 months (75-100 quilts).

The quilt I just took off the machine had a High quality (high thread count) "black "backing and I had used a white Hobbs bat. I had also used Rainbows thread in top and bob...and not a batting or thread pokie to be found,,,and NO thread breakage.

I change my needle when I hear a popping sound, which I think is a dull needle penitrating cloth. I think in 4 plus yrs I have only gone through mayby 4 packs of needles... Might be ignorance on my part but in this case, "ignorance is bliss'.

Jamie

• 3 months later...

I am having a new problem! I needed to change my needle size to a MR 5 for a particular quilt and thread and now when I put an MR 4 back my machine will not stitch at all! I do not have time for messing around right now so I put the MR 5 back in and I am able to quilt. Has anyone ever heard of the #5 needle messing up the timing? I am pretty frustrated right now! Any help would sure be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi All,

You really don't need to change the needle every quilt.. You will know when the needle gets dull, you will be able to hear it.. I have actually heard of people doing anywhere from 10-25 quilts on the same needle.. I guess the best advice I can give is, "if it's not broke , don't fix it! It is totally up to each individual what you feel comfortable with!

Have a Great Day...

Connie

APQS Service

A good place to get information on needles, thread and all kinds of stuff is www.superiorthreads.com . I prefer MR needles because they have a large scarf and this gives the hook a better chance to pick up the thread. We use size MR 3.5 most of the time and sometimes a 4.0. If you use a larger needle the holes in your material will be larger. This may not be what you want if you are using material with a tight weave. Because the larger needles have a larger shank you may run in to a problem if your machine is timed with a smaller i.e. 3.5 needle. The larger needle may hit the hook. This will should not throw the machine out of time but it won't do your needle any good.

Archived