Dragon Quilt Using My New Special Made CL Template

Georgene

When I first saw this top, I immediately thought of clamshells, and the customer liked the idea, too. But I wanted smaller shells than the giant template provided.

So I asked Michael for help and he came through in a jiffy. In just a few short days, my new template arrived in the mail so that I could start on this huge, 112" x 107" king size bedspread quilt -- along with 2 matching shams and 2 window treatments.

The new GIANT template that Michael made for me has two sizes of clam shells, the same size as the shells on the Miniclams template. Only with the giant template, I can go across the entire quilt. I used the smaller of the two sizes on this quilt. I really like the texture it creates. I used QD Deluxe batting.

I think the small clamshells look like the scales on the dragon. The quilt is made entirely of 2.5" finished squares.

post--13461904244309_thumb.jpg

Goergene...that is beautiful!

I love the small clams. You said the board has two sizes on it....what size are they? I hope he will produce them for others. I have the FanClam but these look more delicate.

Good job on the Greek Key design - they are perfect for the blocks.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

Thanks.

The clamshells appear to be 2" and 2.5" wide. I used the 2" ones. The are the same size at the Miniclam template http://loriclesquilting.com/index_files/page0009.htm

I think they are the perfect size for lots of quilts, especially children's quilts and for borders.

I did the "keys" freehand, after MUCH practice, trying to figure out how to get around the corners.

Here's a closeup of the dragon center. I put a piece of wool batting under it......feaux trapunto.

post--13461904247231_thumb.jpg

Georgene, I love what you've done to the quilt! You're right, the smaller clams give great texture to the quilt and I think this new giant template has a lot of potential uses. Just think...all over on a baby quilt (wish I had the template right now because that's what I'm doing for the guild), wonderful to quickly quilt border, a quilt where finer detail/closer quilting is needed, and it will give great dimension. I love it! Bless Michael, when there's a need he always comes through.

Carmen, I'm sure your copy of the template is just an email or phone call away.

I can't wait to use it on a baby quilt, and for borders around an entire quilt.

I was thinking I could quilt something in the middle of the side borders (like a diamond shape) and then reverse the template below that "something" so the shells would all face into the center of the quilt.

Hi Georgene.

The FanClam's are 4" wide which looks great on a larger quilt. I agree with you, for smaller quilts your new design with 2" and 2 1/2" is perfect. I could use it now on a small lap quilt I just took in yesterday. I suggested clams, which she loved, but I did think mine are a bit too big.....then you post this!!

I love seeing your quilts, they are just beautiful!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

My customer just now picked up her quilt ensemble, and she "had goose bumps" she said. She did love it.

Heidi, I tried to do something between those "keys" to make your eyes flow around the quilt......following the vines, which is what I have just recently discovered is what "they" mean by "movement" on a quilt.

Archived