New to Forum - Hello Lenni Owners

Welcome Carol. You will indeed love Lenni. She is perhaps my bestest pal. Before yours gets here give yourself several "showers." Have many many toys when she arrives. That way you will have a really fine nursery for her when she gets to her new room. There are several items to go ahead and get: expanded base, extra bobbins, extra flat-head pins or flower pins, a round magnet bowl like the mechanics use, good lights, a couple of DVDs you can find those suggestions by searching for them on the forum although Dawn will have a splendid one that comes with the machine. I can't think what all, ladies, gents, chime in here! Mainly get ready to PAR TY!

Welcome Carol. You will indeed love Lenni. She is perhaps my bestest pal. Before yours gets here give yourself several "showers." Have many many toys when she arrives. That way you will have a really fine nursery for her when she gets to her new room. There are several items to go ahead and get: expanded base, extra bobbins, extra flat-head pins or flower pins, a round magnet bowl like the mechanics use, good lights, a couple of DVDs you can find those suggestions by searching for them on the forum although Dawn will have a splendid one that comes with the machine. I can't think what all, ladies, gents, chime in here! Mainly get ready to PAR TY!

Sylvia thanks for all the good info! I read somewhere that an APQS owner sent out birth announcements on the arrival of their new baby! That's so great. I have started a list of things I think I'll need based on what I'm reading and I'm trying to be conservative...but the thread, batting and the Itty Bitty tool are at the top of my list. I have ordered two of Myrna Ficken's DVD's to help get me started and I have signed up for a Longarm class at the Hershey Quilt Odyssey coming in July. I am planning on starting a part time longarm quilting business and have been working towards that goal.

I have a question. Does APQS make an extended base for Lenni or do I need to purchase this from someone else? I know I will be doing some ruler work so I think I need an extended base. My hubby is going to help me get the room ready which includes upgrading the existing lighting. I have plenty of pins, magnetic bowl, etc. Anything else that's an absolute must for getting started?

I am so impressed with APQS and all of the wonderful "family" on this forum. I started getting a little concerned when I read that some machine owners were having problems with boards in their machines. APQS has totally stepped up to the plate to address the problem and this is the kind of company I want behind me. I have pretty much made up my mind to purchase a Lenni (wish it could be a Milli...but baby steps here). Now for the waiting...

Sylvia thanks for all the good info! I read somewhere that an APQS owner sent out birth announcements on the arrival of their new baby! That's so great. I have started a list of things I think I'll need based on what I'm reading and I'm trying to be conservative...but the thread, batting and the Itty Bitty tool are at the top of my list. I have ordered two of Myrna Ficken's DVD's to help get me started and I have signed up for a Longarm class at the Hershey Quilt Odyssey coming in July. I am planning on starting a part time longarm quilting business and have been working towards that goal.

I have a question. Does APQS make an extended base for Lenni or do I need to purchase this from someone else? I know I will be doing some ruler work so I think I need an extended base. My hubby is going to help me get the room ready which includes upgrading the existing lighting. I have plenty of pins, magnetic bowl, etc. Anything else that's an absolute must for getting started?

I am so impressed with APQS and all of the wonderful "family" on this forum. I started getting a little concerned when I read that some machine owners were having problems with boards in their machines. APQS has totally stepped up to the plate to address the problem and this is the kind of company I want behind me. I have pretty much made up my mind to purchase a Lenni (wish it could be a Milli...but baby steps here). Now for the waiting...

Hi Carol. Welcome! :D I too am a "Lenni Mom" and absolutely love him!! Yes, you can purchase an expanded base for Lenni right from APQS. They have many accessories for him. The Itty Bitty Ruler is one of my absolute favorites that I use all the time. I also have Dawn's Crosshatching Ruler and her SID ruler and love them also. These can all be purchased from www.offtheedgequilting.com. Good luck and let us know what's happening. :):)

Hi Carol. Welcome! :D I too am a "Lenni Mom" and absolutely love him!! Yes, you can purchase an expanded base for Lenni right from APQS. They have many accessories for him. The Itty Bitty Ruler is one of my absolute favorites that I use all the time. I also have Dawn's Crosshatching Ruler and her SID ruler and love them also. These can all be purchased from www.offtheedgequilting.com. Good luck and let us know what's happening. :):)

I purchased the Hartley Base Expander and it works very well for me. I got it when I got my machine. Others on here have different base expanders and love theirs so you will have to decide. I did like you and started with only a few things. Might I suggest you get the micro handles so you can do small stuff and keep good control (Now I had to take off my right one as I only drive with my left hand down and right hand up and I am right handed - go figure.) I would also suggest the "Castle" by Deloa Jones because you will find that the Itty Bitty (I love mine) needs to be an itty bitty bit bigger (I don't have to stop and start on most sashings using the Castle). There haven't been just tons of things I have needed other than those although I do have the "Appliguide" (Also Deloa) which I love also. You will find that there are items in your kitchen you can use for "rulers" but you may want to hang back about using those until you learn what is easy to control as you quilt. (I have even used a saucier for a circle - worked like a charm and a lid from canning (not the flap, the lid). It you are going to make "do it yourself" lights I might have the instructions I used for mine that cost under $80. I hope others jump in and make suggestions as I feel I am still almost a newbe although I do quilt for the public.

Mine is a girl just named Lenni as it didn't come equipped with a remote.;)

I purchased the Hartley Base Expander and it works very well for me. I got it when I got my machine. Others on here have different base expanders and love theirs so you will have to decide. I did like you and started with only a few things. Might I suggest you get the micro handles so you can do small stuff and keep good control (Now I had to take off my right one as I only drive with my left hand down and right hand up and I am right handed - go figure.) I would also suggest the "Castle" by Deloa Jones because you will find that the Itty Bitty (I love mine) needs to be an itty bitty bit bigger (I don't have to stop and start on most sashings using the Castle). There haven't been just tons of things I have needed other than those although I do have the "Appliguide" (Also Deloa) which I love also. You will find that there are items in your kitchen you can use for "rulers" but you may want to hang back about using those until you learn what is easy to control as you quilt. (I have even used a saucier for a circle - worked like a charm and a lid from canning (not the flap, the lid). It you are going to make "do it yourself" lights I might have the instructions I used for mine that cost under $80. I hope others jump in and make suggestions as I feel I am still almost a newbe although I do quilt for the public.

Mine is a girl just named Lenni as it didn't come equipped with a remote.;)

Thanks Marilyn. I was also looking at the cross hatching ruler. I have done some cross hatching on my DM and it's very time consuming...can't wait to do this on a LA!

So you really like your Lenni? I felt so at ease using Lenni that I just knew it was the one.

What do you use to lock horizontal or verticle stitching? Lenni doesn't have locks...can something be purchased?

Thanks Marilyn. I was also looking at the cross hatching ruler. I have done some cross hatching on my DM and it's very time consuming...can't wait to do this on a LA!

So you really like your Lenni? I felt so at ease using Lenni that I just knew it was the one.

What do you use to lock horizontal or verticle stitching? Lenni doesn't have locks...can something be purchased?

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I purchased the Hartley Base Expander and it works very well for me. I got it when I got my machine.

I was looking at the Hartley as well...another decision to make. I'll check out some of the other things you mentioned as well.

Yes, please share instructions for lighting...that would be great.

The micro handles are probably a good idea, too. Oh, dear. The list is growing longer. :D I am a china painter and I use the smallest brushes I can buy. I just love small, little details.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

I purchased the Hartley Base Expander and it works very well for me. I got it when I got my machine.

I was looking at the Hartley as well...another decision to make. I'll check out some of the other things you mentioned as well.

Yes, please share instructions for lighting...that would be great.

The micro handles are probably a good idea, too. Oh, dear. The list is growing longer. :D I am a china painter and I use the smallest brushes I can buy. I just love small, little details.

Archived