Zipper Leaders?

The Quick Zip System was designed by our very own Sue Schmieden.

You may order through her Web Site

@ www.longarmconnection.com

or call 262.723.6775

I use mine daily, to pin ahead on the quilts that I want to quilt the next day!

Keep on zippin & quiltin! :cool:

Guest Linda S

Not only are Sue's zippers a wonderful time saver, but she has each one labeled and includes great instructions for putting them on. As a matter of fact, I installed mine before even putting on my first practice piece. I just love them. I actually baste quilts to the zippers using my DSM, with the tension slightly off. When I take the quilt off the frame, it's really easy to pull that stitching out with a couple of quick tugs. I'm very lazy and just hate to pin. :P

Linda

Guest Linda S

Cindy - I think the only limitation is length, not machine type. I got my zippers at Columbia River Quilting supply. I think they come in two lengths. I got the longest ones, as I have a 14' table. Maybe give Connie a call and see what she has to say.

Linda

Thank You Linda, I have checked that out and also the web site of Willow Leaf, I love it there, wonderful place & love the way she has created the beginning & ends. Although I havent ordered my machine yet, I have been taking care of all the other important aspects of the business. I will be more than ready when my machine is here. See ya soon, Cindy

Guest Linda S

Nancy - the set of zippers comes with enough zippers to put the top and backing on the frame. You can buy and extra quilt set to sew on the sides of the quilt, so you can easily flip the quilt to do borders. Also, if you have an extra set, you can take a quilt off mid-way through and load on a rush job if you want.

Linda

I am still waffling on zippers, do or don't. Wondering if anyone using them puts the quilt on by basting it. I know that the 3 thread sergers are very cheap and a fast easy way to baste. Just clip that one thread and pull and it unravels.

Mary & Sophie Ult I

Linda,

Thanks for the reply! Can you put the quilt sets on all 4 sides of the quilt prior to loading it? That would be really cool! Do the zippers overlap at the corners? I am getting ready to order the zippers so wanting to make sure I get what I need/want and know how I am going to use them.

Thanks.

Nancy

Guest Linda S

Nancy - you probably could put the zippers on all four sides before, but it might cause some problems with rolling the quilt up onto the takeup roller. I think I'd put the first two on, do the main quilting and two borders, then take it off, quickly pin or baste the other set on and then finish the other two borders. That way, you're just working with the ends of the quilt and not having to worry about winding all that zipper onto the takeup roller. Is that about as clear as mud? :P Whether or not they overlap will depend, of course, on the size of the quilt.

Linda

I used four separating 27"zippers on each side of the leader cloths. That way I use my serger set on a chain stitch to attach the backing cloth to the leader then zip the whole thing on the machine, after the quilt is done I zip it off and by pulling out the chain stitch the quilt is ready for final binding or even another border. It only cost me $2.10 for each zipper total $16.80 Sure beats the $200.00 the company wants for zipper leaders.:cool:

I'm wondering if a wide strip of velcro could be substituted for zippers...? Has anyone tried this?

Attach the prickly side of the velcro to the table leaders and the fuzzy side to the portable leaders that you sew (or pin) to the quilt backing (top and bottom)...?

I dunno....just an idea that I was thinking about trying.

Can anyone think of why this might NOT work?

Thanks!

Sherri Dolly

AP Mil

Kansas

Sherry,

I put Velcro on my leaders (fuzzy side on machine) and made 6" wide leaders out of ticking fabric with the sticky side. I sewed the fuzzy side about an inch away from the edge of my canvas so that I could still pin on if I want to.

I have pinned to my 6" leaders and basted with my DSM. I have found though that I hardly ever take a quilt off before it is finished and I have become fairly fast at pinning onto the regular canvas so that's what I usually do.

The zippers and velcro save you from standing at the machine to pin on. I should put a practice piece on a set of the velcro leaders so I could play between doing customer quilts.

Romonia

You can look at Zipperstop.com for them. You can buy the ones for sleeping bags and successfully install and use them. Up to 120 inches for 5 & 6 dollars each set. I am going buy several sets so can keep one on a practice piece and the extras for customer quilts.

Mary

Guest Linda S

The Sue Schmieden Zipper set I got was about $45. Well worth the extra over the sleeping back zippers (I think) as everything was well labeled as to what went where, etc. I need all the help I can get!! I bought mine from Columbia River Quilting. I think you can get them from Sue directly at longarmconnection.com

Linda

Guest Linda S

You're going to attach the quilt to the zipper either by using pins or by basting them to the quilt with your DSM. I use the longest stitch with my tension really loose, so they pull out easily when I'm done. You're going to be pinning or basting on the very edge of the quilt, where the binding will later be applied. There should be no stretching unless your customer has used some nightmare fabric cut on the bias or something like that! :o Keep in mind that when you roll the quilt up onto the rails and get your quilting surface ready, you're not stretching the layers. You want to be able to poke your finger up through the layers and still be able to grab your finger a bit. That way your won't distort the quilt while you're quilting it, and you won't put too much tension on the zippers or pins.

Linda

I love my zippers. I use them on all the quilts that I do. It only takes one time unpinning from canvas when a booboo happens to convince me that zippers are the way to go. I can unzip, sit down to unpick the stitches and reload easily.

I also use them for keeping the more artsy quilts ready to go, so that I can take them on and off the machine easily, to do the ones that need to by done right away. It works great.

I have to admit that my husband came up with great idea quite a while ago and I've been using it ever since:

CAUTION - READ ALL BEFORE HAVING AN ATTACK!

He told me I should turn the plate around on my stapler and staple the backing to the zippers. It works great. They act just like a straight pin in there and come right out at the end. I don't staple the tops however. I do still use safety pins on them. I don't want anyone to think that I go around putting staples in my clients quilt tops and ripping the zippers off at the end. When I take the quilt off the machine the zippers rip right off of it. It doesn't hurt the quilt or backing at all. And if it did, I figure it would be the 1/2" or less right at the edge of the backing. I've never even had one of my clients notice that the difference, and never have had the backing fabric tear at all while removing stapled zippers.

I can tell you that it cut my loading time down to about 10-15 minutes, even for a king size.

I've been doing it this way for about a year (200+ quilts) and I finally had to toss the very first set of zippers. Although, I have gone through 3 staplers so far. I figured it out and it saves me about 15 minutes or more on each quilt, This comes to about 50 hours each year. If you multiply that by what you figure you make per hour, that comes out to quite a bit that you've saved, or I figure by using the staples I can take one more week of vacation each year. So if I have to spend $20 on a set of zippers and $30 on staplers each year, I'm ok with that.

Now, no crabbing at me for doing it this way. I assure everyone that I am very careful and tried it several times on my own stuff before ever doing it on a client quilt.

This has been a very interesting thread-thanks to all who has posted! In fact, there has been several differing and creative ideas, I am still a little unsure what I want to do as far as buying the zipper kits with installation pictures and directions or the less expensive method buying sleeping bag zippers and trying to figure out how to put them on myself!! So I am looking for a little more insight. I usually do a partial float of the quilt top. So I am picturing just using the zippers on the backing and 2 rollers. The first thing I do after loading the backing is use the machine to baste the top and batting across the top to attach to the backing. I pin baste or machine baste down the sides as I go and then when I get to the end of the quilt, I baste the bottom. So, am I correct in thinking the zippers can be used on just the backing (I know I would have to adjust/realign the batting and top that has not yet been basted if I removed and then reloaded the quilt). Or is there an advantage to putting the zippers on the top too? I will admit I can't walk and chew gum at the same time, so am leaning towards the kits if the sleeping bag zippers take some 3-D vision or a little challenging to figure out how to apply. But if only needed for the backing, perhaps..??? As you also may have guessed, I also have trouble making decisions!! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Nancy :)

Archived