Is AutoSketch training included in CQ set-up??

TinaCollins

Let me first say that I am going to respond to this question with as much professional tact as possible...... I also want to further add that this is my own personal response and it is not affiliated or supported by APQS or S & D Stitches in any method or manner. I take complete responsibility and full accountability for the following statement!!

Tina Collins

Now with that being said-

What you need to know before buying the CompuQuilter:

1.) You will need to know and understand how to navigate basic Window computer formats. If you have never used a computer, please ask for an additional day of training at your expense. The installing tech will not have time to teach you basic computer knowledge during your installation time. If you are not familiar with Windows, please seek available training before purchasing a CompuQuilter or be willing to pay for an extra day of training. (Anyone reading this post probably has the necessary computer skills.....)

2.) You still need to understand how to adjust your tension for the different combinations of threads, batting, and fabrics you will encounter.

3.) You will still need to develop an eye for which quilting designs and in what color, thickness of thread work visually best for each unique quilt.

4.) You will still need to enter the correct instructions into the CQ software program for your chosen patterns. The CompuQuilter can not read your mind. The results will only be as good as the instructions entered.

5.) You need to understand that the CQ will not sew out a design that is larger than the quilting area in a single run (without advancing the fabric)--- A quilting design larger than the quilting area must be digitized in seperate sections within the sewing field area. (I thought I would throw this one in because I recently had someone call me who was angry that I did not show her how to make the CQ sew a 50 x 50 motif! Everytime she tried to enlarge her pattern bigger than the size of the sewing area, her CQ would not work!--- Well, DUH!!!!... Okay, sorry about that, but I had to vent just a little after getting my backside chewed on for such a silly reason)

6.) You need to know that the CQ learning processes are the same as it takes to learn any other SKILL required for an advanced computerized system... and understand that some of the professionals in the field have a bigger talent than others.

7.)**Realize that it is a HUGE benefit that a new CQ owner is able to quilt quality- executed intricate designs within the first week of ownership... This is NOT something that the average owner can do in months and months of buying thier first hand-guided longarm. The CompuQuilter is like any other advanced piece of computerized machinery- It takes time and experience to fully understand, (learn) and grasp the infinite possibilites available.

What you have paid for when you purchase a CompuQuilter:

1.) You have paid for all of the equipment (hardware) and the technology (software) to sew automated patterns.

2.) You have paid for an authorized tech to travel to your home (additional charges may apply if you are located outside the continental 48 US states) and install the CQ on your longarm. The time frame for this is 2 days. One day to install the system, and another to train. (You will get an additional day if you are a new longarm owner to go over how your longarm operates without the CQ.)

3.) You have paid to be shown how to retrieve, set-up, and quilt digitized patterns for over-all designs, motifs, borders, and unique boundary areas. This initial training covers all of the BASICS of each function- NOT advanced techniques. You will NOT be an "expert" the first month your CQ is installed.

4.) You have paid for future software upgrades and enhancements. As the current CQ owners know, this is a wonderful benefit as we have had many, many new improvements added over the years. The latest software upgrade was the additon of the linear, circle, and wreath fundtions at no extra cost to current CQ owners

5.) You have paid for over 300 hundred patterns already installed in your quilt design gallery to get you started.

6.) You have paid for the CQ tech to explain the basics of how your CQ hardware operates. This includes demonstrating the X and Y axies and their positive and negative directional movements, the respective pulley motors, the out of limit optics for each axis, and so on.

7.) You have paid for the AutoSketch software and CQ manual in case you want to pursue the additional option of digitizing your own quilting designs. AutoSketch training is NOT included in the CQ set-up.

Further clarification regarding the CQ and AutoSketch:

Do you expect to instantly become a professional chef simply because you bought a "professional- grade" cooktop and paid for it to be installed in your home? Do you expect to instantly become an professional race-car driver simply because you have bought a sportscar? Most likely, if you are truly motivated to learn these advanced skills, you will spend many hours learning the different techniques, and you will also take advanced courses at culinary schools or driving schools, or what-ever. You get the drift....

Auto-sketch digitzing is an advanced technique. It takes time to learn how the program functions, and it takes personal motivation to spend the time to learn how to digitize. It also takes hands-on experience to learn the best ways in which designs should be drawn in the digitizng process for optimum sew-out . Point is, it just takes time and experience to learn .... This is a building block process in which the basics are increasingly expanded as your knowledge and experience grows. No manufacturer (of any advanced technological system) can devote such a huge length of time to teaching every single buyer all of the advanced techniques possible. In respect to automated quilting, most new owners need to learn longarm quilting in it's entirity to get to this level of knowledge. Your CQ installer may show you how to do simple poly-line sketch drawings, but don't expect them to teach you the advanced techniques needed to digitize intricate quilting designs--- It simply is not possible by either a time or expense standpoint.

There are many CQ pattern designers out there who have taken the personal effort and initiative to learn this advanced technique. These people have developed their own talents through hard work and individual ambition. They have given us a large variety of high- quality quilting patterns to choose from, and we should appreciate that their designs are available for us to purchase at relatively cheap prices compared to what we charge our own paying customers to quilt these designs for. These pattern designers have gone the extra mile in growing their own talents. You, too, can take this route if you desire... but don't expect anyone to spoon-feed you the rewards of their hard-work for free. That is asking just a little too much, don't you think?

What you have NOT paid for when you buy a CompuQuilter:

1.) You have NOT paid for a professional to come and teach you every single thing they have learned in the years they have owned their own CQ.

2.) You have NOT paid for 24 hour / 7 day a week access to a professional consultant. (We have families and lives outside of our business, just like you- As a personal note, I have received phone calls before 6 am and after 11:30 pm to which I have given my assistance. However, it is a little unfair to get angry if I am not forever at your beckon call. Leave me a message and I will call you back as soon as I am able. I also have many other customers besides you, as well as my own personal life to attend to)

3.) You have NOT paid for the entitlement to leave nasty or hateful messages (voicemail or email) , full of accusatory tones, demanding immediate and full attention to your personal situation. (I would be happy to expain your mistakes and help you learn how to correct them, but you must remember that we require the same respect as professionals, that you require as customers)

4.) PLEASE read through the manual thoroughly before you call. About 99% of the problems are the result of operator error.

The CompuQuilter can do amazing things, and I am still discovering new and exciting ways in which I can fully utilize the total potential of my CQ, even after several years of owning one. I have gotten to this point through years of hands-on operation, trial and error, and yes... many hours of frogging out the mistakes. This is the process by which everyone masters any new talent and/or skill.

Oh, I almost forgot......

Have a GREAT DAY!!

Tina, great post and I agree with you 100 percent.

I have owned my CQ for a little over a year and am still learning how to do things. As to learning AutoSketch, this takes on an entire different set of learning curves. I am finally getting comfortable with it, but you are right - practice, practice, and more practice - a long with lots of patience. Digitizing is using a sophisticated computer program which is used by architects. There are many things we need to learn in order to digitize. It is not something someone is going to learn in 1 or 2 hours. Some people may never learn (or like) to digitize. Also using AutoSketch is not the end all/be all to using your CQ - you don't even need to know how to use AutoSketch to use your CQ.

As Tina mentioned, there are many designers now digitizing for the CQ (there is a list of some of them in the files) and most of them are very good and very reasonably priced.

What I found helpful was:

1) Learn how to use your quilting machine

2) Learn how to use the CQ - go through the manual several times doing their exercises

3) Then, and only then, step into AutoSketch. Start slowly following the pattern guide (on the S&D website) creating motifs. When you are comfortable with motifs, move on to repeats, and eventually corners. You need to take baby steps before you can run!

Grammie and all,

Let me counter a different perspective to your thoughts:

1.) " All I am asking for is a Digitizing Manual for AutoSKETCH as it applies to my CQ. Even Statler Stitcher offers some PDF lessons on their website. " and "I mean they are told and I QUOTE " Its so easy anyone can do it"

**** There is such a manual included with your CQ purchase (and on the CQ website for free download) that will show you the BASICS of digitizing for the CQ. This covers the BASIC operation of digitizing in it's simplest form. We are using an architectual program in an, until very recently, unexplored application. Keep in mind, this technology is still relatively new to the quilting world. I do know that there are several people who are busy writing manuals that will address the more advanced techniques, but it takes time. Also, consider this-- I realize the CQ price may seem steep for some (I also did not have the cash in hand to buy outright and I financed my first longarm purchase) BUT....... How many businesses with a comparable income potential are as inexpensive to start up?? Having come from the corporate world... I can tell you that most businesses costs much more to start and take much longer to turn a profit.

In the interest of encouraging everyone to take the time to learn to digitize, here's a quick lesson in digitizing a motif pattern in my own words- ( I hope I have not forgotten anything in trying to write the steps down from memory- If so, I'm sure someone will correct me:P):

Open your AutoSketch program. When the start-up box comes up, click on the OPEN tab. This will prompt you to select a recent file. Browse until you locate the file named "Motif start. skf" This will open the correct template for your drawing with the X/Y zero point in the middle. Turn off the "snaps" by making sure every "snap box" at the left side of the screen is NOT highlighted. Go to the top and click on DRAW- POLYLINE-SKETCH. You can also click on the polyline sketch tool button on the side. If you hold your left mouse button down, your mouse has become a pen Draw whatever design you want in a single line. After you have finished, you can edit any mistakes by left-clicking on your drawing, to get it highlighted. Then right click and choose EDIT VERTICES. Now you should see lots of tiny squares that you can move around. It is very helpful to zoom in so that your drawing is much enlarged. When you are finished, save your drawing as an skf file (in case you want to go back and makes changes to your original design) and save it again as a DXF file (Choose file type Autocad R12/LT2 DXF). There, you have now digitized a basic quilting design. You can also scan in drawings by clicking the "picture button on the side tool bar or by going to the top and clicking EDIT-INSERT OBJECT- and choosing your file . Now "trace" your imported picture with the polyline sketch tool in a continuous line. When you are finished tracing, then highlight the imported picture file and delete it which will leave only your "mouse" drawing. You might have to click VIEW-REDRAW if your drawn image and/or the background grid appears to have pieces mssing (This will not change your drawn design at all- it just clears your viewing field). Save your files. Open up the conversion program (DXF to CMD), pull in your new DXF file and convert. The basic digitizing is not that hard for simple designs and it *is* covered in the included manual... BUT if you want to digitize intricate patterns with multiple sections, sewn-back lines of stitching, and etc.... then, here's where it gets complicated.... Your drawn line must be a continuous single line using the polyline sketch feature, or you will have to join the lines before saving the file. This takes more learning and a lot of practice. I use tri-arcs to draw as they lead to a much smoother design. This is an advanced technique for the more intricate patterns. HOWEVER, the basic digitizing instructions are available in the manual if you just take the time to thoroughly read the instructions through. I honestly believe that you are expecting too much if you had planned on instantly being able to digitize intricate quilting designs without any additional costs for advanced classes or a lot of personal learning effort on your part.

2.) "As far as the 300 plus designs we all know that they are not that good and I'm not the first to mention this. In fact After purchasing CQ I had to spend more money for QUALITY DESIGNS. I was perfectly OK with this but it has some customers upset. Everyone can't just go buy more designs especially after the Machine and CQ expenses. Without being able to digitize to keep it affordable they feel like they have just thrown HARD EARNED MONEY DOWN THE TOILET."

**** Some of the included designs are not as complicated as others, but there is a good variety to start out with. One example right off the top of my head is the "Cathedral Windows" pattern. How much would hand-guided longarmers have to charge for this type of quilting??? CQ owners can quilt this pattern the first week of owning a CQ. ALSO, it is only fair to mention that the CQ price is MUCH less than the Statler so that you can use the "saved money" to pick and choose whatever designs you want from whoever you want. To have designers' patterns pre-loaded on all new CQs would result in additional costs to you (these additional costs go directly to the pattern designers as each automated machine is sold- and the buyer has no say on which designs you will get)

3.) "I mean if I purchased a Mercedes with STICK and someone told me JUST HOW EASY it was to drive and I found out I couldn't learn and I kept running off the road and into Stop signs I would realize that I should have purchased the AUTO then I would trade it in and take a LOSS I would be feeling kinda Sick about it "

**** Bad ananlogy- If you put your Mercedes off the road and kept hitting stop signs, your problem is NOT with the stick-shift. Your problem is with your steering. You should spend the time BEFORE the purchase to learn what features are important to you-- The same thing goes for your longarm / CQ purchase.

:DI am very glad to hear that you have the ambition to master CQ digitizing- I think that is absolutely wonderful!! I am sure that we will see a lot of great designs come from you in the future. Digitizing is another example of how the cream will always rise to the top. I just wish all of the CQ quilters out there would take the personal responsibility to gain as much knowledge as possible to build their talent/skill, instead of expecting someone else to simply hand them the fruits of our labor for free!!

It probably goes without saying that I received some very unfair (in my opinion) treatment over this issue, and that is what precipitated this entire lengthy post. My feelings were hurt that someone would accuse me of not giving them the full package of what they paid for- so I thought I would state for everyone EXACTLY what it was that they bought!!:P

Okay...... I am done venting for today!!

Y'all have fun using your CQs!!!:P

Sue,

You said it much better than I did!!---- And in a LOT fewer words!!!:P

LOL!! LOL!! LOL!!:P:cool::D:P

RE the previous post: "What I found helpful was:

1) Learn how to use your quilting machine

2) Learn how to use the CQ - go through the manual several times doing their exercises

3) Then, and only then, step into AutoSketch. Start slowly following the pattern guide (on the S&D website) creating motifs. When you are comfortable with motifs, move on to repeats, and eventually corners. You need to take baby steps before you can run!

Thanks and I hear what your saying and really do appreciate it. I am first a quilter then possibly a digitizer at some point and time. Besides I like your straight forwardness. I'm a Texan and can handle it. lolol

I have been looking into other programs and reading alot about them. I like my CQ and I will continue to enjoy it as it is just another tool for me.

I am wanting more designs and there are some awesome designers out there that have designs that are just Statler Stitcher from what I can find.

For instance sweet dreams has an Heritage Package of over 12,000 designs for a set price. Last I checked this is not available to me as a CQ owner. For the money it saves the price difference wouldn't matter to me. I would have to order the designs individually. I have looked at other websites where Statler owners have Hundreds of patterns for their customers to choose from. I want to be able to compete with that. Some of our very favorite quilters have patterns being sold for Statler/Precision Stitch and I cannot find them in CQ format. Please if I'm wrong let me know. I want to buy them.

From a personal point of view, If I don't see more designs soon for CQ I will purchase another program. That way I will have the best of both worlds. Even if it means I would have to settle for another machine to run it.

There is no reason CQ owners have to get all the leftovers when it comes to quality designs or be so limited and we are limited if you compare. We want lots of options for our customers too. For CQ to be a good Business choice something will have to change. It would be in their best interest to get Digitizers to work so they not only have a CQ but the best design choices out there. Statler seems to have the make on them when it comes to that.

That's my take on CQ. I hope it gets better.

Originally posted by Grammie

I am wanting more designs and there are some awesome designers out there that have designs that are just Statler Stitcher from what I can find.

Tammie, the reason there are so many designers digitizing for the Statler is that it has been around a lot longer than the CQ. After all, until last June, the CQ was only available for the A-1 machines. Since I purchased my CQ last June, I have seen a lot of Statler designers start converting their designs for the CQ. I truly believe that with more and more people purchasing the CQ and with more types of machines able to use the CQ, we will continue to see more designers digitizing for it.

I have found that many times if you see a design digitized for the Statler that if you ask the designer they may try to get it digitized for you in the CQ format.

The other thing you need to remember is that, as far as I know, most of the other computerized quilting systems also use AutoSketch to digitize (Statler does and so does the new RoboQuilter). The difference comes into play with the conversion programs and operating the quilting systems.

The other thing that I have found is if the designer will sell you the dxf file, you can bring this into AutoSketch, edit a few things, and then convert it to a dxf file that we can then convert to a cmd file.

Hang in there - more and more designs will be coming for the CQ.

;)

I know I said I was done posting for the day.... but I digress..... There is one more VERY important CompuQuilter feature that we have not mentioned yet:

The CQ gives us the extreme benefit of keeping our original stitch regulator and longarm manuverability!!! You do NOT have to have your original machine gutted and the innerds replaced to motors and etc that are compatible with the automated feature. Your APQS longarm stays completely intact and unaltered!!!! The CQ is easily disconnected from the original longarm's electronics... so we truly have the best of both worlds!!

Some of you may have seen a Quilt Central TV episode I did with Kim Diamond on a Statler machine several years back.... The quiltpiecer was Priscilla Bianchi and the quilt "Guatamalen Rainbow" was featured in a 6 page pull-out section of the summer 2004 issue of Quiltmania (France) for those who want to view it. I freehanded the borders and sashings, and then Kim Diamond (Sweet Dreams Quilt Studio) took my freehand designs and digitized them for the block motif design and I quilted the rest of the quilt. Needless to say... this was when I decided that I would be MUCH happier if I could keep my own personal longarm choice for my freehand quilting!!!

I believe this is the MOST important benefit for selecting an automated quilting system because I am personally a freehand fanatic!!! The ability to quilt on my choice of longarm (YES!!! I LOVE MY MILLIE!!!) is worth everything to me. Maybe if you plan on strictly using the automated quilting mode, your views might be different--- But I would go bananas if I no longer had the same agility and stitch quality for doing freehand quilting!!:P

Tammie,

:P I LOVE a good discussion!!! LOL!! And your thoughts are worth much more than a penny!!:P LOL!! :P

I agree that everyone should put some major thought into what features are going to mean the most to their own personal quilting scope ( be it business or pleasure).

Hey, where did you see Darlene and Karen's designs sold for the Statler formats??? I may need to make some calls to the digitizers and get a little more info... LOL!!!:P:P

I am also checking on your questions about the availability of additional design collections from the Statler digitizers....... I will let you know as soon as I hear something!!

Keep on posting!! .

Yes the designs of some of these designers are very popular.

Take the New Karen McTavish Book.

I love the designs. I spent 8 hours tracing designs yesterday and copying so that I could make a wholecloth for my studio to show them off only to find that they are Ready to be stitched out if you are a Statler Owner without all the hassel and cost. TIME IS MONEY. Otherwise quilters wouldn't even be considering these computerized machines.

CQ owners are being completely sold out when it comes to computer designs. Like it was mentions even if I can purchase some of these designs they still have to be tuned in AUTOSKETCH before I can use them. They are not ready for the DXF conversion when you purchase them always.

I keep hearing that they are coming but all the while Known names are selling off to Statler digitizers. This is certainly their right but that doesn't help the CQ owners who want to fully utilize their computer driven machines.

I am not a happy camper right now. But I do have a remedy.

I am fully responsible for making my own decisions even those I make uninformed.

Hi Tammie

Its late, I've just set up for a show so I do hope this makes sense. Most designers will alter their patterns for CQ you just need to ask.

You can even buy Statler patterns and alter them yourself. It is very easy, in fact as easy as this:

Open a Statler design, remove the words START and FINISH and the "SNAP To" information. If the design is drawn with a 3 pt arc as the first entity then put a tiny circle at the very beginning of the 3 pt arc on the drawing origin, change the position of the drawing origin to the very first stitch of the pattern, do trim join and explode. Thats really all there is to it. I did it this week.

I do hope this makes sense - I am so tired after setting up - I said that already - GOODNIGHT

Sue in Australia

I've been reading this discussion with quite a bit of interest, as CQ is definitely in my future plans (someday).

Doesn't Karen McTavish quilt on an APQS machine? It would seem she would make her designs available for the APQS machines before she would make them available to Statler. (Just my thought).

If we are only paying for the install and one day of training then why do the dealers offer the install and two days of training with your purchase? They also show you the basics of auto sketch so that on your own time you are able to practice tracing jpg images and turning them into cmd files to use with CQ. Unfortunately, this was not the case for me, but someone else was able to walk me through it and now I'm enjoying practicing when I have spare time....LOL...what is spare time?

I'm not new to quilting; I'm new to a longarm machine which takes some getting use to. I purchased CQ to help me better manage my time so that I could finish quilts more efficiently with the beauty that it offers.

I agree that this all takes time and have found great support on this site as well as others. I have found new friends no matter where I turn in the quilting business.

Tina, I loved the information you shared with us about the Compu-Quilter. It was quite informative and will help me when I am working with potential customers to be concise and clear on what they can expect. Janet and I have had our CQ since May and are really just getting to use it a lot. We've only digitized our own pattern a couple times but plan to do a lot more. That part is a real learning curve for me. As for there not being as many patterns out as for the Statler, when designers realize that the CQ is in demand like the Statler the patterns will become available. We do have to let them know we want them for the CQ. As with anything that is fairly new it takes some time to educate our "vendors" as to what we need. Tammy, have you tried some of the patterns that come with the CQ? We have combined some that have really turned out rather pretty. They are basic patterns but can be used in many ways. Let your imagination go wild!

Oh yes I have stitched almost everything. If I haven't I will soon as I am working on a Wall sampler that is just CQ. I have MANY purchased designs. Done many CQ quilts. I have not problem with my CQ. Someone may but I don't.

Apparently CQ owners are fine with what has been made available to them. That's great.

I'm not sure I have seen anyone who owns each system. All I know is if a customer asks me do I have it or can I get it , IT will be great to say "NO PROBLEM".

Have fun with your CQ.

How can someone know what they are getting into until they take the plunge if you don?t have a dealer near you to go see it in operation, this is not like buying a car where you can go to the nearest dealership to test drive. It is like purchasing a computer with all the bells and whistle?s that the salesmen told you would be simple to operate and anyone can do it.

EQ5 a $110.00 program is far from a 14,000.00 purchase. On the other hand, CQ is a learning process and is very exciting and fun, don?t get me wrong, When I first looked into CQ and spoke with one of the dealer?s I was told that with the purchase you receive install and two days of training. I don?t expect in two days to learn the complete program, but I do expect to be shown how to do a simple drawing and did not receive that. I did not purchase my CQ from the dealer that I was originally talking with and now wish I had.

I don?t? totally agree with the demanding and expecting part, but I do believe that when we make a decision to purchase a system such as CQ it is up to whom ever comes to install it to make sure they have at least touched base on what it has to offer, especially if you will be using an additional program such as Auto Sketch.

I hope to be adding a second machine within a year and right now the way I?m feeling about why this topic was started in the first place will make me really think about looking into other machines that are offered on the market for backup.

Happymountainmom is Happy:)

When you bought your longarm, did you expect it to come with every pattern available? Probably not. I like the freedom to choose what patterns I want, not what someone else has chosen for me, AND charged me for, whether the price is hidden or not.

Most of the Statler patterns are available for CQ owners. You just have to ask the designer and many will convert them for you. I purchased $900 worth of patterns from Deb Giessler and she converted all of them for CQ and sent me a CD. Some of Anne Bright's have also been converted. Her companion packs are brilliant and SO worth the price!! They'll be my next purchase.

As to whether or not you should get instruction on AutoSketch when you buy CQ? NO. It is a BONUS. It is not an integral part of the CQ system. MOST people who buy CQ will never want to get into digitizing their own patterns. There is a lot more to it than just tracing a line.

With regards to what Tina said about using the Sketch tool:

I prefer using the Fitted Curve instead. It is MUCH easier to use, and MUCH easier to edit. It also takes a lot less skill to use.

Please be patient. There are some great new things on the horizon.

As far as buying another system because it has some patterns that we don't have, YET!, I think that's a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Think of the features we have that Statler does't have! How about the Wreath Array? When your customer asks for one thing, as a creative professional you can show them what you have that's even better.

I've noticed that the Statler stitches out much more slowly than the CQ. I've been told that is true, so consider that if time is money, you will be finished with the customer's quilt more quickly.

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything in life. It's up to you to decide which advantages outweigh the disadvantages. For me, it's APQS and CQ all the way!!

Someone mentioned that my designs are shown on the Legacy site. Before APQS took on CQ, Todd Brown approached me about digitizing some of my Pocket Guide designs for the Statler. I was very leary of losing control, but heard him out on the subject. He assured me they would be encrypted for each machine. Not understanding the whole digitizing process, I eventually agreed. Now I wish I had not done that. Todd is a good digitizer, but the "patterns" he sells of mine, are just the pages out of the Pocket Guides. There has been no "design" work done on them, and they don't interlock well, as least to my own standards.

But like I said before, please be patient. I am fully convinced that CQ is THE best system on the market, Stan Townzen is incredibly responsive to our needs, AND APQS is THE best machine on the market.

I've just spent 4 days with Suzanne Moreno, learning how to digitize. It is a bit addictive and a lot of fun. If you REALLY want to learn how to digitize quickly, effectively and with the least amount of frustration, I would highly recommend you take a class with Suzanne. It's no different that buying your longarm and taking classes with a professional longarm teacher. If you're going to make the best use of your equipment, you have to be willing to get professional training.

Archived