my two cents worth:

i watched the special on it the other night (as well as my own research on the net) and from what i gathered BP knew this could happen. the inspections required on the rigs as well as the pipes showed major violations with the EPA as well as other regulations. BP gambled and the environment has lost...

one 'former' employee said that BP thought that another rig would 'blow' first (not the one that did) because it was in worst shape (there are public inter-office memos that show this)

it all sucks, either way. my heart goes out to the fisherman sitting twiddling their thumbs and to mother nature who is probably thinking another ice age by meteor is starting to sound good right 'bout now.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We don't have any nearby but I have been mentally. However, I heard some gas station owners on NPR today that have made me re-think. They own the station, not BP so they are the ones really hurting and many of them are just small business owners working really hard like the rest of us.

I am planning to make sure we off load any BP shares if we have any. That WILL affect BP direct.

We don't have any nearby but I have been mentally. However, I heard some gas station owners on NPR today that have made me re-think. They own the station, not BP so they are the ones really hurting and many of them are just small business owners working really hard like the rest of us.

I am planning to make sure we off load any BP shares if we have any. That WILL affect BP direct.

Yes I do, because when I do I get a better price for my gas on the card. Right now, we need to be watching where each of our pennies is being used. Also, our BP station is the local one, and he needs to stay in business for the others in the community that need his services.

My own little rant on this: I do understand how many are appalled at the length of time it is taking to stop the spill and all that oil that is in the ocean. BUT (and I don't mean to pick on any group in particular) Why didn't any one on land start their own preventitive measures to protect the shores and their lives and livelihoods by starting from shore with things to stop the oil from encroaching? Each day we hear how horrible the time, the amount and the work being or not being done, by the company or by the government, but each one of us is still sitting in our own space complaining.

Yes I do, because when I do I get a better price for my gas on the card. Right now, we need to be watching where each of our pennies is being used. Also, our BP station is the local one, and he needs to stay in business for the others in the community that need his services.

My own little rant on this: I do understand how many are appalled at the length of time it is taking to stop the spill and all that oil that is in the ocean. BUT (and I don't mean to pick on any group in particular) Why didn't any one on land start their own preventitive measures to protect the shores and their lives and livelihoods by starting from shore with things to stop the oil from encroaching? Each day we hear how horrible the time, the amount and the work being or not being done, by the company or by the government, but each one of us is still sitting in our own space complaining.

I buy gas from whomever has the best price. I'm not boycotting the local BP station because it will hurt the local owner and not the hugh corporation. I am appalled over the spill and BP is totally to blame and should be held accountable and so should the government inspectors. I can't believe these companies hadn't planned for this type of casualty.

I buy gas from whomever has the best price. I'm not boycotting the local BP station because it will hurt the local owner and not the hugh corporation. I am appalled over the spill and BP is totally to blame and should be held accountable and so should the government inspectors. I can't believe these companies hadn't planned for this type of casualty.

What should we do?

They - like many others maybe - know there are problems on their rigs. For YEARS no one in the government was really inspecting!This one blows up. People died, many are injured. Many animals, plants and habitats will die. Many residents will suffer.

They have a HUGE clean up.........................If BP goes bankrupt, who will pay for the clean up?

They talked about some Wall street companies being "too big to fail". Seems like these rigs are "too big to be safe". No one wins here no matter what.

I get my gasoline from an independent station. I have no idea where they get it from. How many companies own rigs or refineries??? Maybe we are all getting it from two or three actual producers?????

This whole thing is so sad. I watch every night and feel worse and worse.

Last night I heard, BP won't let cameras near the bad areas or injured animals. Last week, BP hired a hundred lobby-ests with tons of cash to buy off legislators and influencers!!! Big money can do what ever they want.

And these long-term politicians wonder why they are getting booted out. Sorry for the rant.

Lisa

What should we do?

They - like many others maybe - know there are problems on their rigs. For YEARS no one in the government was really inspecting!This one blows up. People died, many are injured. Many animals, plants and habitats will die. Many residents will suffer.

They have a HUGE clean up.........................If BP goes bankrupt, who will pay for the clean up?

They talked about some Wall street companies being "too big to fail". Seems like these rigs are "too big to be safe". No one wins here no matter what.

I get my gasoline from an independent station. I have no idea where they get it from. How many companies own rigs or refineries??? Maybe we are all getting it from two or three actual producers?????

This whole thing is so sad. I watch every night and feel worse and worse.

Last night I heard, BP won't let cameras near the bad areas or injured animals. Last week, BP hired a hundred lobby-ests with tons of cash to buy off legislators and influencers!!! Big money can do what ever they want.

And these long-term politicians wonder why they are getting booted out. Sorry for the rant.

Lisa

BP makes about 23 billion in profit a year....they won't go bankrupt. They also will find a way to get out of paying for the clean up too, as they can afford the best lawyers (and politicians). It is the American people that live along the coast that I feel so sad for, their livelyhood is ruined and they will never be compensated for what happened based on what happened in ALaska with the Exxon spill. They were suppose to pay 5 billion to the people but only paid $500 million ( read this fact on the internet so am not sure how accurate that is).

BP makes about 23 billion in profit a year....they won't go bankrupt. They also will find a way to get out of paying for the clean up too, as they can afford the best lawyers (and politicians). It is the American people that live along the coast that I feel so sad for, their livelyhood is ruined and they will never be compensated for what happened based on what happened in ALaska with the Exxon spill. They were suppose to pay 5 billion to the people but only paid $500 million ( read this fact on the internet so am not sure how accurate that is).

This was posted on Facebook by someone that lives in the PNW. I think she makes a good point!!!! IMHO, people. IMHO

"So where are all the "Save the Gulf" concerts? Where are the T.V. Benefits with celebrities and musicians giving heart felt speeches on the poor fisherman, wildlife, beaches, loss of income and sabotaged gulf economy? I find it rather strange how these people (including our own government) are so quick to help Haiti and other countries...but sit on their butts for this one. Just the facts."

And if you read the business section, BP just posted a dividend to stockholders in the amount of $10.1 BILLION, yes that is BILLION

This was posted on Facebook by someone that lives in the PNW. I think she makes a good point!!!! IMHO, people. IMHO

"So where are all the "Save the Gulf" concerts? Where are the T.V. Benefits with celebrities and musicians giving heart felt speeches on the poor fisherman, wildlife, beaches, loss of income and sabotaged gulf economy? I find it rather strange how these people (including our own government) are so quick to help Haiti and other countries...but sit on their butts for this one. Just the facts."

And if you read the business section, BP just posted a dividend to stockholders in the amount of $10.1 BILLION, yes that is BILLION

And now I am going to nicely explain to Madelyn that we have been TRYING to protect our own beaches but the government, Coast Guard and BP has stopped the locals in their tracks. BP even refuses to allow people anywhere near the really bad spots in Louisiana. Really? Since when does BP own the beaches and have the right to restrict access? Everything has been running through the BP heads as was required. BP won't even let locals help cleanup unless they have had "training". There are 1300 boats signed up and only 113 deployed because of "training". Thousands of local VOLUNTEERS, not paid employees, not allowed to help because of "training". Seriously? Now the individual counties have stepped up and told them to stuff it, and told the Coast Guard to stuff it since they allowed the oil to leak through the passes and into the intracoastal. You have NO IDEA how upset the locals are that there were ordered to stand back and watch. So now, they (we) are fighting back. Passes have been closed. Local cleanup crews are out there. If you want to know why the stupid booms don't work....put some oil on top of a bowl of water. Then lay some thread on it and make the water move around like the ocean does. You will see how much that so-called barrier will contain the oil when the water moves around.

No. we are NOT sitting around complaining. I personally got in one of the last "training" classes tomorrow so that I can finally get out there and help. If any of you have any questions about what is really happening here, ask instead of making statements that could be taken offensively. I am sure Jolene, Patty, Sylvia or any of the other southern girls will be happy to answer questions.

Ok, I am ready to be tar-balled. It breaks my heart to watch the animals die, the people lose everything, the fishing destroyed. Please don't make assumptions. ASK. Those of you that know me know all this said in love and respect.

And now I am going to nicely explain to Madelyn that we have been TRYING to protect our own beaches but the government, Coast Guard and BP has stopped the locals in their tracks. BP even refuses to allow people anywhere near the really bad spots in Louisiana. Really? Since when does BP own the beaches and have the right to restrict access? Everything has been running through the BP heads as was required. BP won't even let locals help cleanup unless they have had "training". There are 1300 boats signed up and only 113 deployed because of "training". Thousands of local VOLUNTEERS, not paid employees, not allowed to help because of "training". Seriously? Now the individual counties have stepped up and told them to stuff it, and told the Coast Guard to stuff it since they allowed the oil to leak through the passes and into the intracoastal. You have NO IDEA how upset the locals are that there were ordered to stand back and watch. So now, they (we) are fighting back. Passes have been closed. Local cleanup crews are out there. If you want to know why the stupid booms don't work....put some oil on top of a bowl of water. Then lay some thread on it and make the water move around like the ocean does. You will see how much that so-called barrier will contain the oil when the water moves around.

No. we are NOT sitting around complaining. I personally got in one of the last "training" classes tomorrow so that I can finally get out there and help. If any of you have any questions about what is really happening here, ask instead of making statements that could be taken offensively. I am sure Jolene, Patty, Sylvia or any of the other southern girls will be happy to answer questions.

Ok, I am ready to be tar-balled. It breaks my heart to watch the animals die, the people lose everything, the fishing destroyed. Please don't make assumptions. ASK. Those of you that know me know all this said in love and respect.

I like big companies. They create jobs!!! They contribute millions to charities and create thousands upon thousands of jobs. Bp wants this solved as bad as anyone else.

I persoanlly prefer driving to walking and the horse and carriage would be a task to say the least. Not sure how well it would get me down my mountain. lol

I like big companies. They create jobs!!! They contribute millions to charities and create thousands upon thousands of jobs. Bp wants this solved as bad as anyone else.

I persoanlly prefer driving to walking and the horse and carriage would be a task to say the least. Not sure how well it would get me down my mountain. lol

Nancy,

Thanks for your response. It is good to hear what is truly happening from someone that is on site. Your info is what is never known from the public news access that we get in the few minutes that we aren't working on our own livelihood. I appreciate what you have said.

I do like your facebook quote that you put up. I saw it last night posted by my next door neighbor and church member who also has a place in FL. I thought it was good when I saw it there, too.

Nancy,

Thanks for your response. It is good to hear what is truly happening from someone that is on site. Your info is what is never known from the public news access that we get in the few minutes that we aren't working on our own livelihood. I appreciate what you have said.

I do like your facebook quote that you put up. I saw it last night posted by my next door neighbor and church member who also has a place in FL. I thought it was good when I saw it there, too.

Guest Linda S

I don't think we have any BP stations around here. HOWEVER, I have been trying to limit my driving and gas consumption as much as possible lately. It's supposed to stop pouring rain next week, and I hope to start walking to work (I'm only two miles away). This whole thing in the gulf disgusts me so much that I want to make myself as independent from oil and oil products as possible. As much as I love some of my modern marvels, I sometimes think we all need to go back to being hunter/gatherers. Won't be too long before we use up this planet, then we'll have no where to go. :mad:

Guest Linda S

I don't think we have any BP stations around here. HOWEVER, I have been trying to limit my driving and gas consumption as much as possible lately. It's supposed to stop pouring rain next week, and I hope to start walking to work (I'm only two miles away). This whole thing in the gulf disgusts me so much that I want to make myself as independent from oil and oil products as possible. As much as I love some of my modern marvels, I sometimes think we all need to go back to being hunter/gatherers. Won't be too long before we use up this planet, then we'll have no where to go. :mad:

Archived