Nancy - love the quote. I've also heard (and you never know if it is accurate or not) that BP had to run every attempt to cap this thing through govt. channels before they could proceed. If it is true, then there has to be some blame laid at the feet of the red tape that our politicals have put in place.

Grammie - I too love my car and I don't think that the city of Salem Oregon is going to allow me to have a horse in my back yard. Although I still have access to the saddles & tack. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nancy - love the quote. I've also heard (and you never know if it is accurate or not) that BP had to run every attempt to cap this thing through govt. channels before they could proceed. If it is true, then there has to be some blame laid at the feet of the red tape that our politicals have put in place.

Grammie - I too love my car and I don't think that the city of Salem Oregon is going to allow me to have a horse in my back yard. Although I still have access to the saddles & tack. ;)

I don't know if boycotting anything like a gas station will make an effect on BP. I might be wrong but oil companies buy and sell their oil to other companies just like other industries. They just sell their oil and it then goes under someone else's name,---and the new buyer slaps another label on it--- just like the generic brand food you buy at the grocery store; same difference.

I will tell you one thing and that is for sure: DO NOT BELIEVE EVERY WORD YOU READ ON THE TV NEWS, THE NEWSPAPERS, THE INTERNET. It is all slanted and written specifically to grab the reader's interest... it is not written to give you the facts.... Ask me why I know this!!!! ;) So, take everything you hear or read as information and don't believe it as gospel. I would venture to bet that this is just the beginning chapter of a long story that has yet to be written. So, take it all with a grain of salt knowing that these are pieces and parts but not the whole truth.

And, I will tell you another thing..., BP is not the only company in hot water over this mess. The government oversight agencies and a lot of other "people" and powerful decision makers are in just as much trouble and guaranteed they are all shaking in their shoes right now. It's (shall I say) a tangled and twisted web.

It is horrible. I am mortified. I am sad. I am angry. I am shocked. I am heartbroken. It is a tragedy. It makes me want to throw up. I have no idea why they did not have spill response equipment and plans in place ready to act "just in case" all while knowing that this deep water well was a big risk in the first place. This part I do not comprehend. Why they did not have a backup plan established baffles me.

Anyway, I work in the oil industry myself (for the company that runs the Trans Alaska Pipeline) I am all for alternative energy resources like wind, solar, hydro and even nuclear. We need to make some serious steps toward these and away from fossil fuels. Maybe this is the wake up call to start the big change. Too bad a monumental tragedy had to happen first, but isn't that how it goes with us humans? We all learn the hard way. And many times our memories are short and we forget the past lessons. History often repeats itself.

I don't know if boycotting anything like a gas station will make an effect on BP. I might be wrong but oil companies buy and sell their oil to other companies just like other industries. They just sell their oil and it then goes under someone else's name,---and the new buyer slaps another label on it--- just like the generic brand food you buy at the grocery store; same difference.

I will tell you one thing and that is for sure: DO NOT BELIEVE EVERY WORD YOU READ ON THE TV NEWS, THE NEWSPAPERS, THE INTERNET. It is all slanted and written specifically to grab the reader's interest... it is not written to give you the facts.... Ask me why I know this!!!! ;) So, take everything you hear or read as information and don't believe it as gospel. I would venture to bet that this is just the beginning chapter of a long story that has yet to be written. So, take it all with a grain of salt knowing that these are pieces and parts but not the whole truth.

And, I will tell you another thing..., BP is not the only company in hot water over this mess. The government oversight agencies and a lot of other "people" and powerful decision makers are in just as much trouble and guaranteed they are all shaking in their shoes right now. It's (shall I say) a tangled and twisted web.

It is horrible. I am mortified. I am sad. I am angry. I am shocked. I am heartbroken. It is a tragedy. It makes me want to throw up. I have no idea why they did not have spill response equipment and plans in place ready to act "just in case" all while knowing that this deep water well was a big risk in the first place. This part I do not comprehend. Why they did not have a backup plan established baffles me.

Anyway, I work in the oil industry myself (for the company that runs the Trans Alaska Pipeline) I am all for alternative energy resources like wind, solar, hydro and even nuclear. We need to make some serious steps toward these and away from fossil fuels. Maybe this is the wake up call to start the big change. Too bad a monumental tragedy had to happen first, but isn't that how it goes with us humans? We all learn the hard way. And many times our memories are short and we forget the past lessons. History often repeats itself.

Amen, Shana. The house I am renting in Florida has solar panels for hot water, for heating the pool and other uses. My electric bill is so minimal because of this. Such a simple solution. Gas on the other hand...well I am as guilty as any. I have my boat and jetskis. I have my SUV to pull them. I do have a gas economical car, but once in awhile, the SUV goes to the boat launch. Do I want to give that up? No. But I analyze how much, when and where now much more than I ever did. So I do my part there too, without sacrificing completely the family time it all involves.

You are right about the tangled web. Obama is coming to Pcola. No offense, but we are at crisis now. Looking at it and putting in an appearance doesn't save the animals, or economy. And Patty Jo, no it was not the government that stopped BP from capping the well. It was money. If they completely cap the well they lose the rights to it. Money. Follow the money.

Shana you are also right about what is in the news, internet and etc. It is all slanted. The agenda of each agency slants what they show. The truth is bad enough without the enhanced drama and overblown reporting.

Today my grandson and I went out on the water. He is living in a time of history and I want him to see what is going on. We watched a pod of dolphins headed out to the gulf, so close we could see the eyes and blowholes. They stayed right with us through the pass to the gulf. We glided beside a gorgeous rust colored huge sea turtle also heading to the gulf. We watched the rays migrating to the Yucatan. We watched the oil cleanup on the beaches. We watched the boomers doing nothing. Waiting for orders...can't blame them...just waiting. Life is changing. We are all a part of it.

Amen, Shana. The house I am renting in Florida has solar panels for hot water, for heating the pool and other uses. My electric bill is so minimal because of this. Such a simple solution. Gas on the other hand...well I am as guilty as any. I have my boat and jetskis. I have my SUV to pull them. I do have a gas economical car, but once in awhile, the SUV goes to the boat launch. Do I want to give that up? No. But I analyze how much, when and where now much more than I ever did. So I do my part there too, without sacrificing completely the family time it all involves.

You are right about the tangled web. Obama is coming to Pcola. No offense, but we are at crisis now. Looking at it and putting in an appearance doesn't save the animals, or economy. And Patty Jo, no it was not the government that stopped BP from capping the well. It was money. If they completely cap the well they lose the rights to it. Money. Follow the money.

Shana you are also right about what is in the news, internet and etc. It is all slanted. The agenda of each agency slants what they show. The truth is bad enough without the enhanced drama and overblown reporting.

Today my grandson and I went out on the water. He is living in a time of history and I want him to see what is going on. We watched a pod of dolphins headed out to the gulf, so close we could see the eyes and blowholes. They stayed right with us through the pass to the gulf. We glided beside a gorgeous rust colored huge sea turtle also heading to the gulf. We watched the rays migrating to the Yucatan. We watched the oil cleanup on the beaches. We watched the boomers doing nothing. Waiting for orders...can't blame them...just waiting. Life is changing. We are all a part of it.

I am going to pray and pray hard.. something good has to come out of it, but heaven only knows what, with all the massive damage done already.. It will take many years to mostly recover, and never totally recover.

Lord, help us all,

RitaR

I am going to pray and pray hard.. something good has to come out of it, but heaven only knows what, with all the massive damage done already.. It will take many years to mostly recover, and never totally recover.

Lord, help us all,

RitaR

I feel so bad about the oil and the awful mess we have now in the ocean.

Just to add to the whole terrilbe mess though, I do have this terrible thought.....if all this oil is spewing out, what is filling up the hole it is leaving???

Lib

I feel so bad about the oil and the awful mess we have now in the ocean.

Just to add to the whole terrilbe mess though, I do have this terrible thought.....if all this oil is spewing out, what is filling up the hole it is leaving???

Lib

To my mind, we are all -- in some small way -- to blame for the oil catastrophe. Most of us drive far more than we need to, thus increasing the market for petroleum products, which spurs on oil companies to produce more and take shortcuts (including bending the law in some cases) in order to increase their profits to keep their shareholders happy. It's the money, honey!

By the way, I include myself on the list of too-frequent drivers.

Also, it's my opinion that any oil company could have had the same thing happen; it was just bad luck (for them) that it was BP. They all push their luck and they all have "accidents," many of which the public never hears about. I live in oil-rich Alberta. This resource has meant prosperity for many here, but, as with most things, there's a dark side.

To my mind, we are all -- in some small way -- to blame for the oil catastrophe. Most of us drive far more than we need to, thus increasing the market for petroleum products, which spurs on oil companies to produce more and take shortcuts (including bending the law in some cases) in order to increase their profits to keep their shareholders happy. It's the money, honey!

By the way, I include myself on the list of too-frequent drivers.

Also, it's my opinion that any oil company could have had the same thing happen; it was just bad luck (for them) that it was BP. They all push their luck and they all have "accidents," many of which the public never hears about. I live in oil-rich Alberta. This resource has meant prosperity for many here, but, as with most things, there's a dark side.

Archived