What is a good cotton thread to use?

Hi all,

I know that I've seen this answer somewhere, but don't know where. Can someone tell me other suggestions to use on my millie besides King Tut to avoid the occasional loop on top?

I have a custom quilt that will use cotton thread and I just don't feel like fiddling for an hour to get the King Tut tension right and then still getting the dang loop while I'm quilting?

I thought I read about Auriful somewhere - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi all,

I know that I've seen this answer somewhere, but don't know where. Can someone tell me other suggestions to use on my millie besides King Tut to avoid the occasional loop on top?

I have a custom quilt that will use cotton thread and I just don't feel like fiddling for an hour to get the King Tut tension right and then still getting the dang loop while I'm quilting?

I thought I read about Auriful somewhere - any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Signature is a very good thread if you want cotton. I bought it in the beginnning, some of my customers thought they only wanted cotton thread. I was happy to get to a point where they would drop off their quilt and say "do what you want." I did. I switched to Superior and never went back. Cotton thread is just too thick for my taste.

Signature is a very good thread if you want cotton. I bought it in the beginnning, some of my customers thought they only wanted cotton thread. I was happy to get to a point where they would drop off their quilt and say "do what you want." I did. I switched to Superior and never went back. Cotton thread is just too thick for my taste.

I echo MB's good advice. Signature is easier to use than King Tut and has some variegated colors.

I still use KT though--how can you resist the yummy colors.:) To control the top loops and occasional bottom knot/loop, I play the tension game all through each bobbin--that is, I adjust as I go. If I get a top loop, I tighten the top tension just a bit as I quilt. Bottom knots seem to be a factor of quilt top tightness. Keeping the top slack on the roller helps with this.

I echo MB's good advice. Signature is easier to use than King Tut and has some variegated colors.

I still use KT though--how can you resist the yummy colors.:) To control the top loops and occasional bottom knot/loop, I play the tension game all through each bobbin--that is, I adjust as I go. If I get a top loop, I tighten the top tension just a bit as I quilt. Bottom knots seem to be a factor of quilt top tightness. Keeping the top slack on the roller helps with this.

I to echo the Signature thread if you are trying to get away from the fiddling part...there are tons of cotton threads out there, but Signature was one of the first ones the I could get on a large cone a zillion years ago, and it was/ still is a wonderful thread...if you can't get Signature, my other go to threads were YLI and then even the regular coned dressmakers threads.... I heard you gap....yes, I have been known to use regular Mettlar and Gutermann threads, as well as Maxilock Surger threads.... If it runs in your machine,and you can get the tension correct, your machine doesn't know any different. You like the color, it runs in your machine the way you like it...lint or no lint...use it.:P:P:P I have quilts that are over 14 years old that are still holding and they were quilted with Maxilock threads....;)

I to echo the Signature thread if you are trying to get away from the fiddling part...there are tons of cotton threads out there, but Signature was one of the first ones the I could get on a large cone a zillion years ago, and it was/ still is a wonderful thread...if you can't get Signature, my other go to threads were YLI and then even the regular coned dressmakers threads.... I heard you gap....yes, I have been known to use regular Mettlar and Gutermann threads, as well as Maxilock Surger threads.... If it runs in your machine,and you can get the tension correct, your machine doesn't know any different. You like the color, it runs in your machine the way you like it...lint or no lint...use it.:P:P:P I have quilts that are over 14 years old that are still holding and they were quilted with Maxilock threads....;)

I have several King Tut cones because that's all I used on my HQ16, BUT I have had trouble using it on my Millie. I see I am not the only one. Wonder why that is??? I have some Signature and it works fine. Harmony from Fil-Tec is also nice and reminds me of the King Tut, but it sews better. Not as many colors to choose from though. Fil Tec is expanding their line, so maybe more colors will come. I like the varigated threads to have a short color change.............1" or so.

I have several King Tut cones because that's all I used on my HQ16, BUT I have had trouble using it on my Millie. I see I am not the only one. Wonder why that is??? I have some Signature and it works fine. Harmony from Fil-Tec is also nice and reminds me of the King Tut, but it sews better. Not as many colors to choose from though. Fil Tec is expanding their line, so maybe more colors will come. I like the varigated threads to have a short color change.............1" or so.

I successfully use cotton threads often; King Tut, Signature, Robison Anton,,,, and I found that to eliminate the occasional loopy on bottom, you have to tighten the top tension a wee bit more. But, in doing that, loosen your bobbin more (than you normally would). Also run the thread through all three holes before the disc tensioner.

Again--- use all three holes, a little looser in bobbin, a little tighter on top. Dab some Sewer's Aid on the cotton thread to help keep it running smoother through the needle. Give this a try!!

Archived