What is a good cotton thread to use?

I successfully use cotton threads often; King Tut, Signature, Robison Anton,,,, and I found that to eliminate the occasional loopy on bottom, you have to tighten the top tension a wee bit more. But, in doing that, loosen your bobbin more (than you normally would). Also run the thread through all three holes before the disc tensioner.

Again--- use all three holes, a little looser in bobbin, a little tighter on top. Dab some Sewer's Aid on the cotton thread to help keep it running smoother through the needle. Give this a try!!

Thanks Shana, will try all of your advice with the King Tut next time I try it, I bought a couple of cones so dont want to waste it.

I struggled more with cotton in the bobbin aswell as the top, but got there in the end with signature and pleased with the results. I didnt like how many times I had to change the bobbin though with cotton that I wound myself compared with the prewounds polyester that I have been using.

Do you all run the cotton in the bottom aswell as the top, or are you running with polyester bottom line etc in the bottom?

Thanks Shana, will try all of your advice with the King Tut next time I try it, I bought a couple of cones so dont want to waste it.

I struggled more with cotton in the bobbin aswell as the top, but got there in the end with signature and pleased with the results. I didnt like how many times I had to change the bobbin though with cotton that I wound myself compared with the prewounds polyester that I have been using.

Do you all run the cotton in the bottom aswell as the top, or are you running with polyester bottom line etc in the bottom?

Originally posted by Janette

I use BL pre-wounds with any cotton on top.

(Mother Goose is the Signature blender of choice--that yummy baby poop color!)

I use BL pre-wounds with any cotton on top.

(Mother Goose is the Signature blender of choice--that yummy baby poop color!)

I struggled more with cotton in the bobbin aswell as the top, .......Do you all run the cotton in the bottom aswell as the top, or are you running with polyester bottom line etc in the bottom?

Cotton on top and bottom at same time is difficult because the "nubs" that are on the cotton grab at eachother and fight and it's not easy especially for a beginner quilter to get tension right when using cotton in both places. So..... I suggest you use So Fine or Bottom Line in bobbin and cotton on top. I've never had tension troubles with this combination.

After you get your confidence built up you can try going back to cotton on top and bottom.

I struggled more with cotton in the bobbin aswell as the top, .......Do you all run the cotton in the bottom aswell as the top, or are you running with polyester bottom line etc in the bottom?

Cotton on top and bottom at same time is difficult because the "nubs" that are on the cotton grab at eachother and fight and it's not easy especially for a beginner quilter to get tension right when using cotton in both places. So..... I suggest you use So Fine or Bottom Line in bobbin and cotton on top. I've never had tension troubles with this combination.

After you get your confidence built up you can try going back to cotton on top and bottom.

Thanks Shana

I didnt have any pink bottom line so decided to wind my own signature pink for bottom and top. Worked OK in the end after alot of tension tweaking which I am getting better at now thankfully. I lost a few inches from the top of the quilt through wastage though. It is only plain white fabric with a panto and am adding some appliqued hearts after it is quilted so it is just a bit smaller than originally planned !!! LOL !! It is kind of an experiment at the mo to try out a new pantograph.

I prefer the magnaglide bobbins though as they last so much longer. I didnt want different top and bottom colours this time though as I was using a quite bright pink on white fabric and didnt want any pull throughs to the back at all. Sounds not that nice, but has turned out very nice. Except that the panto I used for the first time really shows up my errors with pink on white, although not so much off of the frame as when it is so noticeable on the frame. Am learning to be a little less self critical.

Thanks again

:)

Thanks Shana

I didnt have any pink bottom line so decided to wind my own signature pink for bottom and top. Worked OK in the end after alot of tension tweaking which I am getting better at now thankfully. I lost a few inches from the top of the quilt through wastage though. It is only plain white fabric with a panto and am adding some appliqued hearts after it is quilted so it is just a bit smaller than originally planned !!! LOL !! It is kind of an experiment at the mo to try out a new pantograph.

I prefer the magnaglide bobbins though as they last so much longer. I didnt want different top and bottom colours this time though as I was using a quite bright pink on white fabric and didnt want any pull throughs to the back at all. Sounds not that nice, but has turned out very nice. Except that the panto I used for the first time really shows up my errors with pink on white, although not so much off of the frame as when it is so noticeable on the frame. Am learning to be a little less self critical.

Thanks again

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm brand new at this and learning fast (to a point). My first spool of top thread was wonderful- King Tut ELS cotton 40/3. I ran out and promptly hit a brick wall breaking the top thread every inch more or less. Changed the needle since I've done 4 lap quilts and suspected it was poking too hard, did everything but mess with the tension. AhHa! I finally looked at the label on the new spool- size 50 (no mention of ply). Can my problem be THAT simple? King Tut was great. The only breaks in that spool were from my motion.

If your tension is set right, you can run ANY, I repeat, ANY thread on your machine!! If you have probs call Amy in tech support! She's a wonder! She can look at a picture of your stitches and most times tell you what is wrong!!

I must admit,since I switched to Magna Glide or Magna Quilt bobbins, most of my tension headaches disappeared. I also loosened the bobbin tension quite a bit.

• 1 month later...

Archived