Wonky Leaders

jkerekes

Hi,

My leaders on my 14 foot table(5 year old Millenium) are getting a little wonky. I'm noticing that I have to pull a bit and really be careful when I load a quilt in order to have my leaders behave. It's not a problem of squaring---I've done that before---it's that my leaders are getting 'permanently wrinkled/stretched in a couple of spots. Is there something I can do to tame them, or is it time to replace the leaders?

Thanks!

Jill Kerekes

Hi,

My leaders on my 14 foot table(5 year old Millenium) are getting a little wonky. I'm noticing that I have to pull a bit and really be careful when I load a quilt in order to have my leaders behave. It's not a problem of squaring---I've done that before---it's that my leaders are getting 'permanently wrinkled/stretched in a couple of spots. Is there something I can do to tame them, or is it time to replace the leaders?

Thanks!

Jill Kerekes

You can mark a straight line using your milli's channel locks and use this to create a new straight edge. If you have zippers, zip the two leaders together and roll until tightened. Then put some thread in the machine and channel locks on and use this thread line as the new straight line for your leaders. Trim down to that line and sew a hem or put the zippers back on. If you don't have zippers just pin the two leaders together.

I know Renae Haddadin had some instructions in the Machine Quilting magazine (from months ago) that showed how she does this.

You can mark a straight line using your milli's channel locks and use this to create a new straight edge. If you have zippers, zip the two leaders together and roll until tightened. Then put some thread in the machine and channel locks on and use this thread line as the new straight line for your leaders. Trim down to that line and sew a hem or put the zippers back on. If you don't have zippers just pin the two leaders together.

I know Renae Haddadin had some instructions in the Machine Quilting magazine (from months ago) that showed how she does this.

Thanks! I've got that process down for squaring--but if I cut--I'll cut off most of one of my leaders :(. The leader for the backing--whatever that is called-- is really getting bad. As you face the front of the machine, the part of the leader on your right--which doesn't get much pinning action--is getting crumpled and seems to have a bit of wrinkle memory. I have to be extra careful when I load to make sure that part of the leader is behaving---and if I have to go back and forth on the quilt--I have to babysit that area or it will roll strangely. I suspect that I may need to replace this leader especially. I'm wondering if maybe I should just zip the leaders together, have some good tension(as if I were squaring) and spray starch and steam the bad boy into submission........................it couldn't hurt right?

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Jill

Thanks! I've got that process down for squaring--but if I cut--I'll cut off most of one of my leaders :(. The leader for the backing--whatever that is called-- is really getting bad. As you face the front of the machine, the part of the leader on your right--which doesn't get much pinning action--is getting crumpled and seems to have a bit of wrinkle memory. I have to be extra careful when I load to make sure that part of the leader is behaving---and if I have to go back and forth on the quilt--I have to babysit that area or it will roll strangely. I suspect that I may need to replace this leader especially. I'm wondering if maybe I should just zip the leaders together, have some good tension(as if I were squaring) and spray starch and steam the bad boy into submission........................it couldn't hurt right?

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Jill

Originally posted by jkerekes

......I'm wondering if maybe I should just zip the leaders together, have some good tension(as if I were squaring) and spray starch and steam the bad boy into submission........................it couldn't hurt right

Jill

Jill, I have zipped my leaders together and rolled back and forth to get them aligned again; yes, this works very well. If you don't have zippers you can pin and get the same effect.

Give the starch & steam a try you never know it won't hurt and it just might work!

And if it doesn't work you can always install a new leader on the bottom.

PS My bottom leader is pretty long so not why you have such a short one. Interesting!

Let me know how that starch steam works for you.

Originally posted by jkerekes

......I'm wondering if maybe I should just zip the leaders together, have some good tension(as if I were squaring) and spray starch and steam the bad boy into submission........................it couldn't hurt right

Jill

Jill, I have zipped my leaders together and rolled back and forth to get them aligned again; yes, this works very well. If you don't have zippers you can pin and get the same effect.

Give the starch & steam a try you never know it won't hurt and it just might work!

And if it doesn't work you can always install a new leader on the bottom.

PS My bottom leader is pretty long so not why you have such a short one. Interesting!

Let me know how that starch steam works for you.

Another thing about maintenance of the leaders: I always pull and tug my leaders on the rollers (while either rolling up or down) and this keeps the leaders from wrapping around eachother and getting creases in them. As soon as they start to wrap up wierd on the roller, I walk over and pull and tug it back straight so it wraps on the rollers nice and flat. Yeah, it's kind of a PITA to do this but in the 3 years I've had my machine my leaders are still pretty straight and square. I do have a slight curve in the center but it's very slight and hardly noticeable. I haven't had to do the stitch and trim to new edge yet.

Another thing about maintenance of the leaders: I always pull and tug my leaders on the rollers (while either rolling up or down) and this keeps the leaders from wrapping around eachother and getting creases in them. As soon as they start to wrap up wierd on the roller, I walk over and pull and tug it back straight so it wraps on the rollers nice and flat. Yeah, it's kind of a PITA to do this but in the 3 years I've had my machine my leaders are still pretty straight and square. I do have a slight curve in the center but it's very slight and hardly noticeable. I haven't had to do the stitch and trim to new edge yet.

Just a thought Jill--if you float your tops and your (unused) leader on the top front roller is in good shape, swap it out for the wonky one. Use the end that is taped to the roller now as the pinning edge--it will be straight. At least that will help until you can get a new set.

Just a thought Jill--if you float your tops and your (unused) leader on the top front roller is in good shape, swap it out for the wonky one. Use the end that is taped to the roller now as the pinning edge--it will be straight. At least that will help until you can get a new set.

Archived