to Pre-wash or not....

Speaking of critters - have you ever noticed them in batting scraps or old batting. I have heard of this, but wondered if it happens now with all of the process that batting goes through. And....if it does get critters, because I buy mine on a roll and cannot wash it when it is delivered to my home - What keeps the quilt from getting critters down the road? Does washing wash those critters right out of your hair - so to speak??

Obviously we won't come to a consensus on this issue! I only pre-wash real suspicious fabrics such as hand-dyes, silks (I use both dupioni and noil in quilts), and fabrics I sell from Guatemalan (thread is dyed then handwoven and it is bleed and shrink possible). I always use Retayne and hot water when pre-washing. That both eliminates extra dye molecules and sets the color. I've had a student have very good results after a "bleed" catastophe using Retayne which both removed the bleed and kept the bleeder fabric from doing so again. Honest, I don't own any stock in Pro-Chemical which makes Retayne (and Synthrapol) but I should.

Speaking of silk noil (it is the nubby non-shiny inexpensive silk), it makes wonderful garments. I'm addicted to them. However, I used to dry clean them because they would fade when washed. Now I used the Retayne for a pre-wash and the garment doesn't fade in subsequent washes.

wow, you all are a wealth of information. I have always preshrunk everything, comes from being a garment maker for 40+ years I guess. But no one ever told me to starch my fabric:( I feel like I used to in school when I learned something new, really excited:). We are so fortunate to have this forum. It is almost better than a tea party:P

Bekah

Shepherd's Garden Quilting

APQS Millie

Guest Linda S

Cheryl! You're too funny gal. George Costanza indeed! :P

Sandra - I understand perfectly. I love to take that fabric out of the dryer, give it a nice press, and fold it up. Then it goes in my wire basket stash holder. I hate ironing clothes, but fresh fabric, AHhhhhh - a little slice of heaven. ;)

Linda

I had to laugh when I saw the comments about enjoying ironing fabric, but hating to iron clothes. I'm the same way, but I also like to iron handkerchiefs and pillow cases. My mom started me out ironing those when I was eight or nine years old. There is such a sensual feel to running your hands over those freshly ironed pillow cases as you are folding them. Same with fabric. I don't do it very often anymore, but once in a while I plop a couple of pillowcases down on my ironing board and iron them for that magical feel!

I pre-wash my fabrics; mostly because I was taught to do that when I took a beginning quilting class. And, of course, I get to iron and starch them afterwards. I don't trust pre-washing to stop color transfer. I learned that the hard way. I made a red maternity top when I was pregnant with my first child. I had washed it weekly in warm water for at least three months. I had even washed it with DH's light blue uniform shirts (Coast Guard) a few times without any problem. When I was six months pregnant we moved. We stopped at my parent's house for a few days. I washed a load of clothes that included my red top and DH's uniform shirts. Mom's "warm" water was evidently hotter than my "warm" water. DH's shirts came out a beautiful shade of lavender! Boy was he mad at me!

Phyllis Hughes

Oklahoma City

www.myheartlandquilts.com

Linda Susie,

You're probably right about not mixing washed and unwashed in one quilt. I will either prewash everything or not prewash any of it.

The quilt I'm getting ready to start will be made primarily out of fabrics I have dyed. The only commercial fabric in it will be MODA black. I prewashed the black last night. It didn't bleed color at all, and there was hardly any raveling. But, it did shrink and change shape in the dryer. So, if I had used it unwashed, with all of the prewashed ones, I guess my quilt would not have come out of the wash looking very good.

Originally posted by Myrna Ficken

Gee are you supposed to use the fabric you buy. I just own it, love it and pet it :P

Myrna

Oh, and, are you actually supposed to use your LAM? :P

I've really got the owning, loving, and petting thing down!!

Another prewasher, Caroline

I'm with Myrna....I didn't know you were to use it....when we moved out here from NV 2/3s of the moving van was fabric and my toys....guess now I need to start to use some of it. Darn....its so pretty, are you sure I need to use it....petting is much more fun.

Archived