HELP!!!! STASH IS OUT OF CONTROL

mswings

Originally posted by CindyT

I've promised myself I cannot buy any more plastic bins. ;) Six months and counting! Good luck, Virginia!

I'm so doing this myself...although I did buy a bunch of batiks recently for a block exchange, but don't think I will play after all.....but I did just finish a baby quilt from fat quarter stash...I was so proud of myself...and then I was amazed at what I actually had in that bucket of fat quarters.:P:P:P

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you tell dh that if your stash is out of control, you will not be able to partake in any more SEX. that'll shut him up! and then go shopping.

(acronym - stash enhancing excursions - but he doesnt need to know that)

you tell dh that if your stash is out of control, you will not be able to partake in any more SEX. that'll shut him up! and then go shopping.

(acronym - stash enhancing excursions - but he doesnt need to know that)

Sure is nice to know I'm not alone:D:D:D I like that saying that Bonnie has. Having too much fabric is impossible, right?? I told myself I wouldn't buy any more bins back at about 40!!! That didn't work so well. My new plan is to buy an accuquilt Go and make a boat load of QOV. I need the practice on my Millie anyway. That's it!!! I'll just say ... I'm providing a community service!;););)

Sure is nice to know I'm not alone:D:D:D I like that saying that Bonnie has. Having too much fabric is impossible, right?? I told myself I wouldn't buy any more bins back at about 40!!! That didn't work so well. My new plan is to buy an accuquilt Go and make a boat load of QOV. I need the practice on my Millie anyway. That's it!!! I'll just say ... I'm providing a community service!;););)

Hi Virginia,

I am setting up my new studio (which seems to be a neverending project. I decided to get everything out of bins so that I could see my beautiful stash and then have a better chance of using it.

I will be the first to admit, this was a huge job to set up, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Now when I bring in new fabric I just put the new fabric away where I can see it and find it.

I will try and attach a couple of pics that I just took with my phone, but what I did was get pantry type cupboards 36" wide and 18" deep (you really only need 12" to store the way I do but couldn't find the type of cabinets I wanted that were only 12" deep.)

I fold my fabric in half lenghtwise and wrap on minibolts I made out of corrugated templast (from the hardware store, they come in 4'x8' sheets I cut 8"x12" (I get 48 minibolts per sheet) You can also buy the minibolts if you don't want to make your own. Do not store your fabric on cardboard longterm as the acids in cardboard will destroy your fabric.

I measure the length of the fabric and with a label maker put a label as to how much fabric is on the minibolt. Saves time in the longrun as I do not have to take off the fabric to measure to see if I have enough for the project I am planning.

post--13461904300786_thumb.jpg

Hi Virginia,

I am setting up my new studio (which seems to be a neverending project. I decided to get everything out of bins so that I could see my beautiful stash and then have a better chance of using it.

I will be the first to admit, this was a huge job to set up, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Now when I bring in new fabric I just put the new fabric away where I can see it and find it.

I will try and attach a couple of pics that I just took with my phone, but what I did was get pantry type cupboards 36" wide and 18" deep (you really only need 12" to store the way I do but couldn't find the type of cabinets I wanted that were only 12" deep.)

I fold my fabric in half lenghtwise and wrap on minibolts I made out of corrugated templast (from the hardware store, they come in 4'x8' sheets I cut 8"x12" (I get 48 minibolts per sheet) You can also buy the minibolts if you don't want to make your own. Do not store your fabric on cardboard longterm as the acids in cardboard will destroy your fabric.

I measure the length of the fabric and with a label maker put a label as to how much fabric is on the minibolt. Saves time in the longrun as I do not have to take off the fabric to measure to see if I have enough for the project I am planning.

I just make the bolts taller for the wide with fabric.

In this picture you can see the labels stating the yardage and any details that I think I might need to remember. I just use my Dymo labeller.

Like I said it is a lot of work but now that it is done it is so much easier to maintain and use:D

Lisa

post--13461904301206_thumb.jpg

I just make the bolts taller for the wide with fabric.

In this picture you can see the labels stating the yardage and any details that I think I might need to remember. I just use my Dymo labeller.

Like I said it is a lot of work but now that it is done it is so much easier to maintain and use:D

Lisa

how wonderfull that everything is so tidy and clean!! does it really stay that way? I think I'm hopeless I live in the middle of chaos one day I'll get brave enough to post my chaos. until then I will bookmark your lovely studio to aspire to. I did get my storage at IKEA after scoping(is that spelled right?) out Darleen Epps' new studio pictures a while back. I have argon gas filled double pane windows do no fading but they are open to batting dust and everyother kind of dust there is. But it is so wet here in the Pacific NW that I was more worried about mildew and dampness than dust.

how wonderfull that everything is so tidy and clean!! does it really stay that way? I think I'm hopeless I live in the middle of chaos one day I'll get brave enough to post my chaos. until then I will bookmark your lovely studio to aspire to. I did get my storage at IKEA after scoping(is that spelled right?) out Darleen Epps' new studio pictures a while back. I have argon gas filled double pane windows do no fading but they are open to batting dust and everyother kind of dust there is. But it is so wet here in the Pacific NW that I was more worried about mildew and dampness than dust.

I wish it looked this neat on a regular basis:P

I spent the weekend putting away boxes and trying to organize my studio. For far too long everything sat on the floor at the door. It was just way too much. Hubby spent a few hours on the weekend helping me move the big stuff now I still have several boxes that still need permanent homes, but at least it is starting to look like a studio instead of a storage room.

In the past I have never been much for organization but I decided this room is going to be functional. I guess we will see how long that will last;)

Lisa:)

I wish it looked this neat on a regular basis:P

I spent the weekend putting away boxes and trying to organize my studio. For far too long everything sat on the floor at the door. It was just way too much. Hubby spent a few hours on the weekend helping me move the big stuff now I still have several boxes that still need permanent homes, but at least it is starting to look like a studio instead of a storage room.

In the past I have never been much for organization but I decided this room is going to be functional. I guess we will see how long that will last;)

Lisa:)

An intervention for a fabricaholic is to grab a few friends with likewise problems and have a day out at as many LQS's as you can :P:P:P works for me.

The other point that was raised is that we never seem to have the RIGHT fabric, does anybody know the answer to this ??:o

An intervention for a fabricaholic is to grab a few friends with likewise problems and have a day out at as many LQS's as you can :P:P:P works for me.

The other point that was raised is that we never seem to have the RIGHT fabric, does anybody know the answer to this ??:o

Archived