HELP!!!! STASH IS OUT OF CONTROL

mswings

Here's my stash...I have a "fabric closet" right off of my studio. All of my quilting fabric is out (not so neatly stacked at the moment) on open shelves. There is no window to that room so I don't worry about light fading the fabric. I really like this system as I can see everything at a glance. I can shut the door if needed to hide the room, but I rarely close it. My vintage table was originally put in there to cut fabric on, but my new(used) Quattro sits there now. I didn't really like cutting stuff out in there. I like to bring the fabric out in my big room to cut.

post--13461905825076_thumb.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

OMG!! You women are sick! ;) (An organized workplace is the sign of a sick mind). :P My workspace at my office and at home is utter chaos. My fabric stash has been semi-neat from time to time, but I just finished pulling fabrics for a project, so it is all over the place again. I have the wire baskets like Darlene has. I bought a bunch at first from a place called Organize it, or something like that, and they were very expensive. I just bought four more in the spring at Ikea - very thrifty price and nearly the same quality. Maybe after I retire, I'll be able to have a neat space like all of you. I'm just too busy getting on to the next thing to stop and tidy up.

Oh - I forgot to say that I also have some of the cube storage cubbies for the overflow. That would make seven wire basket carts and two twelve-hold cubbies of fabric (and then there are the bolts and the flat-folds!) Yipes.

Linda

Angie,

I wanted to say that I hear where you are coming from...I have been out of control as you all could tell...in buying fabric. My lovely LQS had a 10th anniversary coupon book this year so we had a different "savings" each month whether it was on kits, notion, fat quarters, or yardage and I only missed using one coupon out of the book and that was the Halloween fabric one. If she did as well with everybody else as she did with me, she had a banner year!! When we were doing my taxes, my husband was impressed at how much I had come up on quilting for customers this year and wondered where all the money went??? You guessed it...FABRIC!! I am going to try and be good this year and only add what is "needed" to complete a project when selecting from my free stash. Did you know that once you buy the fabric and put it in your stash it is free???

We bought a big sheet (4 x 8) of a material that is like the little ones some quilt stores sell. My DH cut them into sizes similar to the cardboard bolts and I wrap large pieces of fabric on those and store them on shelves that do not get any sunlight. Cover them with my practice muslin pieces. this keeps them clean and light free. The material in these (can't think of name) is safe for storing fabric. Buying it this way was very economical.

When I think of name, will post it.

Marilyn

First of all, Virginia, let me help you sort them.. you might not have as much left, and some of it may say spoiled...

Then decide you really don't want about half of that, and give it to me.. I'd put it to good use on Community Service and Quilts of Valor.

Then carefully look it over and ask me If I'd like some of it, you still just have too much. Of course I don't say no, of course I'd like it.

What would be left is a couple fat quarters, and you'd have lots of room to

assemble the shelving and a total blast filling them.. So easy to take care of, wasn't it..?

RODFLMSHO....:P:D:P:P

Judy, your testimonial would look real good on their site.. I'm going to order.

My storage was neat a couple months ago. lol.. in fact 3 or 4 months ago. This product will really help.

Thanks for sharing.. and to all, thanks for the ideas, and love the room several of you have for quilting..

This is a subject that is close to my heart. An intervention is a good idea. I have a better one lets form a guild, the organized people will do a studio hop and help all of us hoarder's. Say one month of each year maybe. I go first, or not. I am now 70 and still have fabric and ufo's from when I was 45. Helpppppp! Every time I do a new project I need just one new fabric to coordinate. This always turns into 3 or four.

Hopeless.

I love the colors and how they change through the moods and life changes.

You gals are a hoot love you all.

Ginny Snowden

Ginny - you are so funny!! I love the idea of a "Studio hop" ~~ We could each bring along pieces to trade and switch with each other! Oh heck - we could do that here!!

Start a forum section for Fabric Trades!! Or patterns & books, tools, whatever!

I went today to get sashing fabric for a strippy quilt I am making to use some of the two tubs of fabric scraps left from a few years of projects. Brought home three more yards of purple, the only purple that will work. I have 10 purples laid out, but this one is the only one that worked. I got double stamped at the LQS so worth it.

So here I am with 11 purples and a double stamped card. Loving it.........

Perhaps one of the organized people can get us started on the exchange. SOON

Ginny

Linnea Marie,

I love your storage shelves...but I really, really love your stash!!

I was proud of myself today when I stopped in at my LQS to pick up a quilt to quilt...I looked at the sale area which is overflowing at the moment with good stuff, but I abstained. I think it was because of my adding up what I spent last year at her store. I have a little more will power for the moment. We'll see how long I last before I "go off the wagon"!!

Archived