Aunt Dora's Double Knit Polyester Bullet Proof Quilt!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have a double knit treasure! My Grandmother (Grandmoma) was my mentor, life line and hero. Let me share a story too, please. Growing up around her was always a learning experience and she lived in hard times. She always was encouraging with her make do attitude. After I married and would visit her, she would send me home with quilts that she said I should sell if anyone wanted them. She asked 100.00 and acted like that may to be too much. Well I would send her a check along and along until I paid for the quilts. These quilts were all cotton and are used in our home today. Well years went by and time took its toll, she lived with us the last of her life. When she passed away I discovered she had a special account that held her quilt money that she left to me. I just knew she was smiling down from Heaven. She had the last move in the game. She was a treasure. I often look at my quilt studio and think how she would act if she could see it. Thanks for listening.....

I also have a double knit treasure! My Grandmother (Grandmoma) was my mentor, life line and hero. Let me share a story too, please. Growing up around her was always a learning experience and she lived in hard times. She always was encouraging with her make do attitude. After I married and would visit her, she would send me home with quilts that she said I should sell if anyone wanted them. She asked 100.00 and acted like that may to be too much. Well I would send her a check along and along until I paid for the quilts. These quilts were all cotton and are used in our home today. Well years went by and time took its toll, she lived with us the last of her life. When she passed away I discovered she had a special account that held her quilt money that she left to me. I just knew she was smiling down from Heaven. She had the last move in the game. She was a treasure. I often look at my quilt studio and think how she would act if she could see it. Thanks for listening.....

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think my aunt would be happy just to see this off of the upper shelf in the closet and it's now going to be on used in the guest room.

Sheridan - what a sweet story. She certainly had the last word! And I also wonder what my Aunt or Mom would say if they could see my studio today.

My Aunt and I had our birthdays together every year, her's on the 12th and mine on the 13th of the same month. She was an excellent cook and owned her own restaurant for awhile and this was back in the 60's just when women were getting more vocal on being independent. She loved cats, but they never entered her house. She lived with my grandpa on a farm and they were all outside cats.

anyway - all good memories.............:)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I think my aunt would be happy just to see this off of the upper shelf in the closet and it's now going to be on used in the guest room.

Sheridan - what a sweet story. She certainly had the last word! And I also wonder what my Aunt or Mom would say if they could see my studio today.

My Aunt and I had our birthdays together every year, her's on the 12th and mine on the 13th of the same month. She was an excellent cook and owned her own restaurant for awhile and this was back in the 60's just when women were getting more vocal on being independent. She loved cats, but they never entered her house. She lived with my grandpa on a farm and they were all outside cats.

anyway - all good memories.............:)

;)There is nothing wrong with a double knit block quilt that is tied! As a matter of fact I have one from the same time frame. Only on the back there are also double knit blocks and all are tied together at the corners. On a really cold night you will have to remain sleeping on one side due to the weight but yo won't get cold. No air gonna travel through tall those double knits!!!:D:D:D I like the way that one looks. I am glad it worked out well for you since it comes from family!!

;)There is nothing wrong with a double knit block quilt that is tied! As a matter of fact I have one from the same time frame. Only on the back there are also double knit blocks and all are tied together at the corners. On a really cold night you will have to remain sleeping on one side due to the weight but yo won't get cold. No air gonna travel through tall those double knits!!!:D:D:D I like the way that one looks. I am glad it worked out well for you since it comes from family!!

Originally posted by SKQuilts

.....When she passed away I discovered she had a special account that held her quilt money that she left to me. I just knew she was smiling down from Heaven. She was a treasure. I often look at my quilt studio and think how she would act if she could see it....

Sheridan, sweet story; your Grandmoma is special. And, she left you a legacy...her spirit is always there with you in your sewing room.

Originally posted by SKQuilts

.....When she passed away I discovered she had a special account that held her quilt money that she left to me. I just knew she was smiling down from Heaven. She was a treasure. I often look at my quilt studio and think how she would act if she could see it....

Sheridan, sweet story; your Grandmoma is special. And, she left you a legacy...her spirit is always there with you in your sewing room.

Archived