What is a good wall color for Studio

Grammie

I'm trying to decide what wall color to use in my STUDIO and I cannot make up my mind.

I see alot of nice yellows and kinda terra cottas and I love greens.

All the Trim and Ceiling will be a BRIGHT white color and I have Lots of Windows. Basically a 45 ft wall is windows almost all the way down. One of the 45 ft walls has a door to Restroom and the rest is space.Looking out thru the windows I have a very green yard with lots of shade and flowers. This will be my haven so I want to choose a great color.Now that you have a visual what do you think? I was thinking Apple Green. I love this color but I know its kinda bold. With all the furniture and white peg board on the wall I'm not going to have large blank spaces.

Gotta get to painting on Saturday so I have to decide. Help. lol

Well, I am no interior decorator;), but I do watch HGTV and some other home improvement shows, so I qualify. I think it would depend on the color of the woodwork, and the lighting in the room. I am a huge fan of terra cotta, and it is kind of earthy - so your view and that color would work well. I would suggest that you go to the paint store and find some samples that you like and then bring several of the same color and a fewdifferent colors home and tape them to the wall in different locations to see how the lighting will affect the color. I do not charge for consultations:P

Mary Beth

I have an apple green sewing room (soon to be vacated for the shop) and I can tell you that inspite of what everyone said about it being too much color, it has become the "haven" for everyone who every visits because it invokes a peaceful feeling. I think from just what you have described, you would love it in green. Just my humble opinion:D

Bekah

Sherpherd's Garden Quilting

I'd say do whatever makes you happy. Throw caution to the wind and suit yourself. If you have lots of fabric in your stash, you might tack some huge pieces of the different colors you're thinking about on the wall and see what you think.

I would consider that if you are going to hang quilts in the quilting room to photograph or to show your customers, you might not want the walls to overpower the quilts or clash too much. If customers will be coming into your room, you may not want them to notice the walls and nothing else.

When we're painting, we always buy one gallon and paint the large, open spaces first without worrying about the hard parts (around the ceiling, windows, etc.) and just let it sit for a few days to see what we think. The big open spaces can be painted in an hour or less and then if we like it, we go back and finish. If not, we pick another color and try again.

I'm sure you will be thrilled with whatever choice you make. Sounds like you have a fantastic quilting room in the new place.

I think a nice buttery yellow...it's so cheerful for working in....although the apple green sounds real nice.

I have a colour called "flowerpot" through the house and love it, I usually change colours every few years, but this is a keeper, nice and cozy, but it would be too dark for me to work in.

I love to paint and look forward to hearing what you decide. One thing I like in my kitchen...the bright white ceiling (actually used melamine)...I brought the white six inches down into the wall. The kitchen is small and the white along the top of the walls really brightened it up and makes the room look bigger.

have fun

Being as my husband and I are "restoring" our 1929 house, and painting every room (eventually) in BOLD colors, here's my 2 cents. We decided to go for a deep burgundy for our dining room, something close to the color of the case for my double bass. My husband bought 2 pints of what we thought was close, and then started to add tints from his model train paints. Then he painted about 2 foot squares on the walls, one close to the window, and one far away. It was amazing to see the color differences in different light, and times of day. We lived with a couple of colors for a while, decided they weren't right, and added some more tints. Finally ended up with the perfect color for that space. So, my suggestion is to think about what you want in the room, then try different variations of the color. This is also the only room that we have not finished and said to each other "Oh my gosh! What have we done!?"

Beth

Here is my two cents?. I was an interior designer for 15 years, here is what I have told people over the years.

Pick you PAINT COLOR LAST....:). Typically you want to pick the most expensive items first, like fabric for drapery or seating, carpet or flooring material. Pick your color paint last. I have seen so many people pick the paint first and then end up with a miss-matched look, not to be confused with eclectic?!

Some of the hot color combinations are cranberry (red) and Dijon (yellow) or brown and aqua (green). If you are looking for inspiration and current color trends Benjamin Moore paints is a good place to start, interior color trends tend to last about 10 years.

Benjamin Moore has fantastic paint, it is a bit more expensive but I feel that it is well worth it. You can get small sample pot of paint and try several out with out a big financial commitment, let it cure for about a week before making a final decision. The colors tend to mellow during the curing time. The lighting in you room both day and night will look different with the paint. Have a look at your samples during different times of the day.

Here is a link to photo?s of my studio. My DH painted it Dijon 2165-40 (this is a Canadian color code) from Benjamin Moore. Trim is CC-40 (one of 140 whites to choose from...!)it is a standard for designers to use in trim.

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=552449181&security=WgqdFY

If you have any questions I am happy to help out.

Good luck with your renovations, I am sure it will look great. You should post some before and after photo's. ;)

Thanks everyone. Your a big help.

I don't have the patience to look at colors a few days. lolol

I am so excited about moving out of this small space into a larger work and living space I can't get the paint on fast enough.

I hope I can get it done this weekend. As soon as I do we can put flooring and Begin the move. Yeehaw.

I plan to Quilt all the valances or cornices with lots of different designs. It will be too COOL. Can't wait to get some finished pics.

Hi Grammie:

I think you go with a warm white, (Karen said there are 100's of them), because colors on your walls will reflect onto your fabrics & threads changing them a little.

Plus there will so many other colors in the room from all you fabrics & quilts hanging on the walls, it may be a bit much if you put a strong color on the walls too.

just a though :)

Hi, Grammie,

I can relate to agonizing over color!

When we built my sewing room I wondered about making the switch to dark walls and light trim, since the rest of the house is warm white with dark painted trim. I have favored this so that I can put any quilt on any wall I want.

In the sewing room I stayed with the warm white walls and choose really dark taupe color for the trim. I love it. On one wall, I have one of those sticky design walls....there's always enough 'color' on it to liven the room.

The other wall has curtain rods hung in series on it, so that I don't have to use my longarm as an expensive fabric hanger. Lots of color hanging there, too.

The remaining walls are all windows or closets (lots of that dark taupe), so that takes care of that. I also put a coating on my windows to further reduce sun damage to stuff in the room.

Have fun!!!! What a great day it will be when you move into your new room.

Linda

I have two walls painted an apple green and two walls and the ceiling painted a color called ala mode. I call the combination apple pie ala mode! I love, love, love the green. When I chose the colors, the builder and the painter both made funny faces at me about the green. Once it was on the walls, they changed their tunes and the painter even thought I should do all the walls with it. I wanted to keep the wall with my design board on it a neutral color so that the true colors of the fabric would show.

BTW, my floor is black and white. I really love the combination.

Hugs,

Holly

Hi Grammie,

My sister just converted her daughter's room into a sewing room. Her DH painted one wall in a red to match Burgandy Red Toile curtains and decorator plates. It is stunning, lovely, etc. She literally beams when standing in her newly painted/decorated sewing room. My mother always said you sould have something red nearby because it eases eye strain. The other large white wall is great as her design wall. Anyway she certain was brave trying it.

Karen, it's great to see the pics of your studio. Your hubby is just as cute as you are!!! ;) BTW, you say you were doing interior design for 15 years??!! SO.........you started when you were 10, right?

Here's my thoughts on paint colors for studios. Now anyone who's been to my house KNOWS I'm not afraid of color. I even have a RED piano room. The whole world could be red and I would be happy. But that's my LIVING space. In my WORK space, I need neutral colors than don't interfere with the colors I'm working with, whether it's piecing or quilting.

In the studio I have now, we painted the walls a VERY light off-white shade of grayish green. One long wall was damaged, and I ended up papering it with what looks like hand sponged paint. It is a definite green, but the rest of the walls are a "non" color. It's just warm enough that it doesn't feel "white". I've loved it and everything I put on it looks good.

In a couple of months we're moving. Bigger studio! YES! Again, I've used lots of color in the living areas, but the daylight basement will again be neutral. I fell in love with a Benjamin Moore shade from the 2005 trends packet. It's called Cashmere Gray. I can hardly wait to see it on the walls. Instead of the greenish cast off-white I have now, this new color has a faint bluish cast. I know that every quilt I hang against this color will not have to compete with the wall color. We're putting in a good quality vinyl floor that looks like tile. It has the gray cashmere shades in it accented with browns. Very today!

Personally, I find it harder to pick thread colors, fabrics etc. when I'm surrounded by color, so I chose to go more neutral, even tho' I hate the word "neutral". ;)

For the bedrooms off of this area I chose Paladian Blue (Benjamin Moore). It's a fabulous color that isn't blue, or green, or gray. It's all of those. My daughter used it in their son's nursery, so I know how versatile and welcoming it is already, and it works just beautifully with brown shades.

Just another opinion, for what it's worth.

My studio now.

You know that is very similar to what my room will look like with white trim and blinds. Thanks a bunch Darlene. A visual is so helpful sometimes. '

I do love green and I also love very light cream or butter yellow. The tone of your green. It does make perfect sense with your beautiful quilt hanging there.

I think I know what color I want now at least the intensity I want or lack of.

Thanks abunch. All of you are so helpful. I buying the paint tomorrow.

PS. I will have a commercial type flat carpet for a while. I will be putting in the floating floors eventually. Need the money for more Quilting goodies for now. lolol

Now I'm even more excited than before. lol

My new "room" is something called "spring rain" supposed to be a very pale green. They mixed the first gallon wrong so it is very very light yellowish. At first I didn't like it at all, but it seems to be a good color to put fabric against, No light as I too have no windows. So Tammie, we are all anxiously awaiting a picture. This is almost as exciting as waiting for a baby to be born:D

Bekah

Oh?Darlene you are so sweet! It is nice to be the one of the young-in?s again. All those youngsters in the design firms I worked for were making me feel old!

I just loved working in your studio during the training course, the lighting is perfect. (I would have this if I did not need the fans for cooling.) I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new studio.

Best of luck with your move, if you need anymore kitchen ideas just let me know ;)

KB

Darlene, I love the wood floor in your new room! We have wood in our dining room just off my studio, and think it'd look nice to have both rooms match (my studio currently has carpet). I'm not sure about the sound though. . . the carpet absorbs some of the noise. Is your studio loud when you run your machine or is it a "reasonable" level not to disturb the entire household when you work?

Archived