George arrived at my house yesterday and I have a lot of questions!

AnnaH

Hello, George just arrived at my house yesterday afternoon. But he didn't have the plexiglass insert :( When I called APQS, they said it was backlogged, but they hadn't told me this when they shipped George. I was all ready to sit down and use him last night, but the customer service person told me I couldn't without the insert. So already I was not a happy camper.

Here are my other questions/concerns. I tried calling APQS, but they had already closed yesterday evening. Also, my local sales rep is on a quilting cruise right now and so isn't available to answer questions.

1) I thought George had a stitch regulator. Can someone confirm this for me -- or if he doesn't have it.

2) I didn't get any metal or aluminum bobbins, only pre-wound ones. But APQS sent me a Sidewinder (I already have one and will send this new one to my mother) so I am scratching my head: why the Sidewinder and no bobbins? Do I have to buy the metal or aluminum bobbins from my local sewing store? I was surprised there weren't any included as even basic sewing machines have empty bobbin spools included.

3) Am I missing a toolkit with little screwdrivers, seam ripper, small cleaning brushes, etc. which come with sewing machines? I expected one and so again am puzzled whether, like the plexiglas insert, it's missing. Or is there no toolkit at all with George?

Although George isn't as expensive as the other models, he is still a big outlay of money for me and my husband (as we just sent a son off to college out-of-state) so I am more than a little disappointed with what was missing.

If anyone out there can answer my questions, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I am actually able to use George!

Thanks. --Anna

Hello, George just arrived at my house yesterday afternoon. But he didn't have the plexiglass insert :( When I called APQS, they said it was backlogged, but they hadn't told me this when they shipped George. I was all ready to sit down and use him last night, but the customer service person told me I couldn't without the insert. So already I was not a happy camper.

Here are my other questions/concerns. I tried calling APQS, but they had already closed yesterday evening. Also, my local sales rep is on a quilting cruise right now and so isn't available to answer questions.

1) I thought George had a stitch regulator. Can someone confirm this for me -- or if he doesn't have it.

2) I didn't get any metal or aluminum bobbins, only pre-wound ones. But APQS sent me a Sidewinder (I already have one and will send this new one to my mother) so I am scratching my head: why the Sidewinder and no bobbins? Do I have to buy the metal or aluminum bobbins from my local sewing store? I was surprised there weren't any included as even basic sewing machines have empty bobbin spools included.

3) Am I missing a toolkit with little screwdrivers, seam ripper, small cleaning brushes, etc. which come with sewing machines? I expected one and so again am puzzled whether, like the plexiglas insert, it's missing. Or is there no toolkit at all with George?

Although George isn't as expensive as the other models, he is still a big outlay of money for me and my husband (as we just sent a son off to college out-of-state) so I am more than a little disappointed with what was missing.

If anyone out there can answer my questions, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure I'll have more questions once I am actually able to use George!

Thanks. --Anna

Hi Anna. I can imagine you would be very disappointed to get the machine and not be able to use it yet. I think bobbins should be included, and I'd call APQS on Mon. and ask them about it. I got several a few thread samples and I think the only tool is one for our table. I have the Lenni.

I hated the Side Winder.. Someone else has it now.

If you go to the home page, and click on the bar of Tabs, under "Quilting Machines", you will find a list of all the machines on the top left side. Click on " George", Or "Compare Feature By Feature" That will show/tell you all the features George does or doesn't have.

Sales and service people don't have a clue what others or customers are thinking.. they probably think you did a lot of homework about George and other quilting machines.

A lot of us poured over the APQS site to make sure we understood what was standard and what is optional.. Please, make a list of all your questions, and call them on Mon. and ask each and every one.. including when do they expect the plastic thing in stock. Ask about the speed control, the bobbins, the tools, etc.. If you are buying a quilting machine, I'd think you'd have a regular machine, too.. with a tool kit. Quilting machines or manufacturers are in many ways different from a domestic machine, thus no tool kits, or starter kits. You don't need many tools and oil and Sewers Aid are relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to find. Most of us use rags, I use pieces of cotton batting to clearn the needle bar.. You will I think need WD 40 and machine oil to clean and lube the machine.

I feel so for you.. it's tough to be disappointed after spending the $$$ and receiving the machine/shipment. May it all be solved real soon.

RitaR

Hi Anna. I can imagine you would be very disappointed to get the machine and not be able to use it yet. I think bobbins should be included, and I'd call APQS on Mon. and ask them about it. I got several a few thread samples and I think the only tool is one for our table. I have the Lenni.

I hated the Side Winder.. Someone else has it now.

If you go to the home page, and click on the bar of Tabs, under "Quilting Machines", you will find a list of all the machines on the top left side. Click on " George", Or "Compare Feature By Feature" That will show/tell you all the features George does or doesn't have.

Sales and service people don't have a clue what others or customers are thinking.. they probably think you did a lot of homework about George and other quilting machines.

A lot of us poured over the APQS site to make sure we understood what was standard and what is optional.. Please, make a list of all your questions, and call them on Mon. and ask each and every one.. including when do they expect the plastic thing in stock. Ask about the speed control, the bobbins, the tools, etc.. If you are buying a quilting machine, I'd think you'd have a regular machine, too.. with a tool kit. Quilting machines or manufacturers are in many ways different from a domestic machine, thus no tool kits, or starter kits. You don't need many tools and oil and Sewers Aid are relatively inexpensive and fairly easy to find. Most of us use rags, I use pieces of cotton batting to clearn the needle bar.. You will I think need WD 40 and machine oil to clean and lube the machine.

I feel so for you.. it's tough to be disappointed after spending the $$$ and receiving the machine/shipment. May it all be solved real soon.

RitaR

Anna,

I'm sorry that you can't use your new machine and that you have to wait. I too would be disappointed. I would guess that the machine should have had some bobbins with it. I don't recall how many my milli came with but I did get a few. George does not have a SR as far as I know. I'm sure you can get some answers on Monday from APQS and again I'm sorry that you have started out like this. I can only say hang in there and know that you bought an excellent machine.

Anna,

I'm sorry that you can't use your new machine and that you have to wait. I too would be disappointed. I would guess that the machine should have had some bobbins with it. I don't recall how many my milli came with but I did get a few. George does not have a SR as far as I know. I'm sure you can get some answers on Monday from APQS and again I'm sorry that you have started out like this. I can only say hang in there and know that you bought an excellent machine.

Hi,

Welcome to the family!! What a great thoughtful gift. I am sure APQS will take care of you. I know it must be disheartening not to be able to use your new machine - I know I would be itching. We have a Millie, but I had a chance to try out a George a few months ago - it was great. No George does not have a stitch regulator. I am used to a stitch regulator and when I test drove the George, I practiced for about 5 minutes and it was smooth sailing from there!!!

Happy Quilting!!!

Jane

Hi,

Welcome to the family!! What a great thoughtful gift. I am sure APQS will take care of you. I know it must be disheartening not to be able to use your new machine - I know I would be itching. We have a Millie, but I had a chance to try out a George a few months ago - it was great. No George does not have a stitch regulator. I am used to a stitch regulator and when I test drove the George, I practiced for about 5 minutes and it was smooth sailing from there!!!

Happy Quilting!!!

Jane

Anna:

Your husband is a keeper! What a sweetheart! George is a sweetheart too and I'm sorry that you've gotten off to such a bad start. I've had my George for about 3 years now and have just become the George dealer for Arizona. George is so different from the other products in the APQS line that they have separate reps for him.

In answer to your questions: it is very unfortunate that your George was shipped without the plastic insert. I agree that you should not sew without it. Hopefully when you phone Iowa on Monday they can give you an estimate on when it will be shipped to you. That's a huge bummer!

Second, George does not come with a stitch regulator. Fixed machines don't do well with stitch regulators...the technology isn't quite there yet. What George DOES have is a dial which sets a top speed. Once you get your insert you can experiment...lower numbers on the dial set the top speed of the machine slower which is helpful for accuracy. The higher numbers are the setting to use when you want to put pedal to the medal. The top speed is required much less often with a stationary machine than it is on a longarm that moves.

The bobbins were probably another oversight you should definitely mention on the phone Monday. George should come with a few bobbins...he uses L sized bobbins which apqs offers in aluminum or a heavier metal (steel perhaps?). That choice boils down to personal taste. I bought several dozen aluminum bobbins for my machine...your 'start up kit' should include at least a few of one kind or the other.

My George also came with a manual (unfortunately not customized for George but a standard apqs manual) and a DVD which was helpful in learning how to maintain the machine. It's very simple but necessary. If you'd like to email me or send me a U2U, I'd be happy to spell it out for you. There is no tool kit, as far as I know. The only tool I've used with George is a small screwdriver. I've got those all over the studio!

Again, Anna, please don't be disheartened. APQS is a wonderful company with great customer service. They'll make this right for you. While you're waiting for your insert & bobbins to arrive, sew up some practice tops on your other machine and give that husband of yours a few hugs. He's done a sweet thing for you and you're gonna love George once you get going!

Nancy in Tucson AZ

Newest George dealer on the block

Anna:

Your husband is a keeper! What a sweetheart! George is a sweetheart too and I'm sorry that you've gotten off to such a bad start. I've had my George for about 3 years now and have just become the George dealer for Arizona. George is so different from the other products in the APQS line that they have separate reps for him.

In answer to your questions: it is very unfortunate that your George was shipped without the plastic insert. I agree that you should not sew without it. Hopefully when you phone Iowa on Monday they can give you an estimate on when it will be shipped to you. That's a huge bummer!

Second, George does not come with a stitch regulator. Fixed machines don't do well with stitch regulators...the technology isn't quite there yet. What George DOES have is a dial which sets a top speed. Once you get your insert you can experiment...lower numbers on the dial set the top speed of the machine slower which is helpful for accuracy. The higher numbers are the setting to use when you want to put pedal to the medal. The top speed is required much less often with a stationary machine than it is on a longarm that moves.

The bobbins were probably another oversight you should definitely mention on the phone Monday. George should come with a few bobbins...he uses L sized bobbins which apqs offers in aluminum or a heavier metal (steel perhaps?). That choice boils down to personal taste. I bought several dozen aluminum bobbins for my machine...your 'start up kit' should include at least a few of one kind or the other.

My George also came with a manual (unfortunately not customized for George but a standard apqs manual) and a DVD which was helpful in learning how to maintain the machine. It's very simple but necessary. If you'd like to email me or send me a U2U, I'd be happy to spell it out for you. There is no tool kit, as far as I know. The only tool I've used with George is a small screwdriver. I've got those all over the studio!

Again, Anna, please don't be disheartened. APQS is a wonderful company with great customer service. They'll make this right for you. While you're waiting for your insert & bobbins to arrive, sew up some practice tops on your other machine and give that husband of yours a few hugs. He's done a sweet thing for you and you're gonna love George once you get going!

Nancy in Tucson AZ

Newest George dealer on the block

Anna,

I apologize that we were unable to send all the George parts out to you in the first shipment. I will also check in with the factory on Monday to be sure you are taken care of. The bobbins have been on backorder and you should have received notice of that inside your box. I will make sure you get them as soon as they come in!

I will also follow up regarding the insert for you. Mrs. A did a great job explaining the George features. You should have also discovered a CD or printed manual that is "George specific" (I finally got that done, mrs. A.:))

Congrats on having a hubby who is so thoughtful!

Let me know if I can help further!

Anna,

I apologize that we were unable to send all the George parts out to you in the first shipment. I will also check in with the factory on Monday to be sure you are taken care of. The bobbins have been on backorder and you should have received notice of that inside your box. I will make sure you get them as soon as they come in!

I will also follow up regarding the insert for you. Mrs. A did a great job explaining the George features. You should have also discovered a CD or printed manual that is "George specific" (I finally got that done, mrs. A.:))

Congrats on having a hubby who is so thoughtful!

Let me know if I can help further!

I'm wondering whether anyone who's using George has tried the titanium needles (I purchased mine from Superior Thread for my DSM). I'd be interested to know if there were any problems or any miracles.

George is scheduled to arrive at my house tomorrow. I've already changed the sheets and vacuumed the floor (not to make room for him but because I don't expect to have any time to get those chores done once he's arrived!)

Laura in OH

I'm wondering whether anyone who's using George has tried the titanium needles (I purchased mine from Superior Thread for my DSM). I'd be interested to know if there were any problems or any miracles.

George is scheduled to arrive at my house tomorrow. I've already changed the sheets and vacuumed the floor (not to make room for him but because I don't expect to have any time to get those chores done once he's arrived!)

Laura in OH

Welcome both of you to the Wonderful World of George!!! It is so good to see more George users here.

I have George but haven't tried the titanium needles. I did get some needles from Superior Thread at the MN quilt show, just haven't had a chance to even look at them. I asked for needles that worked on George for the thread that I was buying. I am such an odd duck!

Welcome both of you to the Wonderful World of George!!! It is so good to see more George users here.

I have George but haven't tried the titanium needles. I did get some needles from Superior Thread at the MN quilt show, just haven't had a chance to even look at them. I asked for needles that worked on George for the thread that I was buying. I am such an odd duck!

Welcome, Laura! I agree with Madelyn that it's wonderful to have more George owners here on the forum. You will have many questions as you two become acquainted. I encourage you to utilize the wisdom & experience here on the Forum and as I said to Annabelle...if you need some more detailed answers, please feel free to email me directly. I am a new George dealer and answering some of your questions will help me to better understand the kinds of things my customers will be needing from me in the future.

And Dawn...you've done a George specific manual? YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! I'm make sure to read/watch it with my first customer when her George is delivered in early August. Thanks from all of us!

Happy Quilting to the newbies! Nancy in Tucson

Archived