HELP! Is there a piecing trick to getting this?

yankiequilter

Carmen,

I steam too and I won't ever go back. Do a test to see if it is shrinking. Take a 5" sq steam really good let it relax and see what it measures. That will at least rule that problem out. I was really shocked at how much mine had shrunk. My block was almost 1/2" smaller than it was supposed to be. After washing and making the same block with the same machine settings my block was perfect.

What I do is mark each piece with two lines going down the sides at 1/4". Where the lines intersect is where you need to match the points. Use a very fine pin and stick it through the intersecting point on each piece. Then align the sides of both pieces and then put a pin on either side of the first pin. Remove the first pin and stitch your 1/4" seam. Take your time and you should have all your seams matching. This is the method I used when I made a Jinny Beyer lonestar quilt. Takes lots of time, but it is well worth it when it is completed. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you don't understand something.

What I do is mark each piece with two lines going down the sides at 1/4". Where the lines intersect is where you need to match the points. Use a very fine pin and stick it through the intersecting point on each piece. Then align the sides of both pieces and then put a pin on either side of the first pin. Remove the first pin and stitch your 1/4" seam. Take your time and you should have all your seams matching. This is the method I used when I made a Jinny Beyer lonestar quilt. Takes lots of time, but it is well worth it when it is completed. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you don't understand something.

I'm the designer / author of this pattern. While I do have pressing instructions in the pattern, they are there because that's what the 'world' expects <g>.

I've pieced Eureka 6-7 times. Over the years I've learned that the less pressing I do, the better. I would press the diagonal pieces, and I press half square triangles.

NOTHING ELSE, PERIOD. Until the block is finished. That allows you to maintain your 'ooch and scooch' factor, making everything come in exactly as you really want it to.

Please do feel welcome direct your questions straight to me at: JnF@animasquilts.com I'm always happy to help.

Happy Trails - Jackie

I'm the designer / author of this pattern. While I do have pressing instructions in the pattern, they are there because that's what the 'world' expects <g>.

I've pieced Eureka 6-7 times. Over the years I've learned that the less pressing I do, the better. I would press the diagonal pieces, and I press half square triangles.

NOTHING ELSE, PERIOD. Until the block is finished. That allows you to maintain your 'ooch and scooch' factor, making everything come in exactly as you really want it to.

Please do feel welcome direct your questions straight to me at: JnF@animasquilts.com I'm always happy to help.

Happy Trails - Jackie

How nice of Jackie to respond...I can imagine what a beautiful pattern will be made when these blocks are sewn together. I was going to recommend starch but, after reading Jackie's post, I think she must know better. Good luck and please do post a photo when you're finished. Nancy in Tucson

How nice of Jackie to respond...I can imagine what a beautiful pattern will be made when these blocks are sewn together. I was going to recommend starch but, after reading Jackie's post, I think she must know better. Good luck and please do post a photo when you're finished. Nancy in Tucson

Archived