Securing the template board to your table...

BossQuilter

I have been using the Circle Lord template boards for several years... Today I am tired of switching the boards and taping and re-taping them to my table... I am considering drilling a hole through my template and plexiglass table to insert a nail to try to hold these guys in place without tape... Has anyone done this? Do you have a better solution?

Thanks in advance for any pictures and descriptions of how you have solved this issue.

I have been using the Circle Lord template boards for several years... Today I am tired of switching the boards and taping and re-taping them to my table... I am considering drilling a hole through my template and plexiglass table to insert a nail to try to hold these guys in place without tape... Has anyone done this? Do you have a better solution?

Thanks in advance for any pictures and descriptions of how you have solved this issue.

I taped a 2" wide by 48" long metal ruler to the back edge of the table. It acts as a lip to butt the templates against, gets them lined up straight, and it also moves the stitching forward 2" so that when I start at the bottom of the template the foot isn't bumping against the leveler bar. I only need to remove the ruler if I want to do pantos, which isn't very often.

I have taped rubber shelf liner to the backs of my templates to keep them from shifting. This wasn't my idea - the gal that I purchased my first templates from had done this, and it works out very good. I just got the zig zag templates and haven't used them yet, but because those templates are shifted to create a variety of designs I think the shelf liner will have to lay loose on the table to make shifting a little easier. The tape that I use is vinyl floor tape, purchased at Lowes, but most home improvement stores should carry a similar product. This method works very well for me.

post--13461904308535_thumb.jpg

I taped a 2" wide by 48" long metal ruler to the back edge of the table. It acts as a lip to butt the templates against, gets them lined up straight, and it also moves the stitching forward 2" so that when I start at the bottom of the template the foot isn't bumping against the leveler bar. I only need to remove the ruler if I want to do pantos, which isn't very often.

I have taped rubber shelf liner to the backs of my templates to keep them from shifting. This wasn't my idea - the gal that I purchased my first templates from had done this, and it works out very good. I just got the zig zag templates and haven't used them yet, but because those templates are shifted to create a variety of designs I think the shelf liner will have to lay loose on the table to make shifting a little easier. The tape that I use is vinyl floor tape, purchased at Lowes, but most home improvement stores should carry a similar product. This method works very well for me.

That's a good idea using the metal ruler for an edge, I have tried using the wooden yard sticks, too much flex and I still have to keep removing the yard sticks to be able to use the Basic Unit... I am constantly using the board templates and the Basic Unit, such as doing Aztec or other smaller templates requiring the stepping disc.

My hesitation is only that I don't want to crack the plexiglass in the hole process... Hmmm. Where is my man side when I need it, you know the voice that says, "weanie, just do it"

That's a good idea using the metal ruler for an edge, I have tried using the wooden yard sticks, too much flex and I still have to keep removing the yard sticks to be able to use the Basic Unit... I am constantly using the board templates and the Basic Unit, such as doing Aztec or other smaller templates requiring the stepping disc.

My hesitation is only that I don't want to crack the plexiglass in the hole process... Hmmm. Where is my man side when I need it, you know the voice that says, "weanie, just do it"

I don't have to remove the metal ruler to use the basic Circle Lord from the back. It mounts over the top of the ruler. Granted, you may not want to mount it only partially over the ruler, but the arm extends enough so that wouldn't be necessary. I've seen these rulers at Lowes in 48" and 60" lengths.

Another option would be to get the front system. I have it and love it! It mounts on the leveler bar and quilt bar so you have to float your quilt tops. I don't think I've used the basic CL on the back since getting it, and can't think of a reason to go back. Being in the front gets you closer to positioning the quilting motif and much more precise stitching.

Think about it...front system, shelf liner, tape and ruler....no holes.

I don't have to remove the metal ruler to use the basic Circle Lord from the back. It mounts over the top of the ruler. Granted, you may not want to mount it only partially over the ruler, but the arm extends enough so that wouldn't be necessary. I've seen these rulers at Lowes in 48" and 60" lengths.

Another option would be to get the front system. I have it and love it! It mounts on the leveler bar and quilt bar so you have to float your quilt tops. I don't think I've used the basic CL on the back since getting it, and can't think of a reason to go back. Being in the front gets you closer to positioning the quilting motif and much more precise stitching.

Think about it...front system, shelf liner, tape and ruler....no holes.

Trinity,

My DH has fixed my table so the boardds do not slip. He has drilled holes at the ends and above nd below the templates which can be adjusted. I will send pictures as soon as I can locate them. Will find them tonight and get back tomorrow. I love it. Nothing ever slips.

Marilyn

Trinity,

My DH has fixed my table so the boardds do not slip. He has drilled holes at the ends and above nd below the templates which can be adjusted. I will send pictures as soon as I can locate them. Will find them tonight and get back tomorrow. I love it. Nothing ever slips.

Marilyn

I use the shelf liner as well. Just unroll it and place the boards on top of it.... then roll back up when done. No problems.

I would think that you should be able to drill into the plexiglass if you really wanted to.... let us know if you do try it and how it goes......

I use the shelf liner as well. Just unroll it and place the boards on top of it.... then roll back up when done. No problems.

I would think that you should be able to drill into the plexiglass if you really wanted to.... let us know if you do try it and how it goes......

Trinity, I finally located pictures - however, I am rather computer illiterate and cannot post them. But I could send them in an e-mail (which I have already done). Got your e-mail address from your website. So when you see an e-mail from mddeck that is the one with the pictures or it might just be from don and marilyn. It should not have a virus. Hope this is of some interest to you. Sorry I took so long.

\\Marilyn

Trinity, I finally located pictures - however, I am rather computer illiterate and cannot post them. But I could send them in an e-mail (which I have already done). Got your e-mail address from your website. So when you see an e-mail from mddeck that is the one with the pictures or it might just be from don and marilyn. It should not have a virus. Hope this is of some interest to you. Sorry I took so long.

\\Marilyn

Archived