tension trouble but only on the horizontal (picture added)

Just wondering if anyone knows what to do when the tension goes flat on the back when going around the spiral horizontally if that makes sense. The stitch regulator on the top of the carriage seems to be fine but it seems when the underneath one has to work it either skips stitches or the tension just goes flat on the bobbin. I am going to try to attach a picture so maybe someone can give me an idea of what to do to fix the problem.

Just wondering if anyone knows what to do when the tension goes flat on the back when going around the spiral horizontally if that makes sense. The stitch regulator on the top of the carriage seems to be fine but it seems when the underneath one has to work it either skips stitches or the tension just goes flat on the bobbin. I am going to try to attach a picture so maybe someone can give me an idea of what to do to fix the problem.

post--13461904319857_thumb.jpg

Jeanne,

This is caused by needle flex. I have found that going slower in that direction helps but more so than that I loosened my bobbin tension up more and tightened the upper thread and all was good. You just have to keep tweaking it. Also if you aren't using a 4.0 that will help some. I prefer a 3.5 so I get a little more flex.

Jeanne,

This is caused by needle flex. I have found that going slower in that direction helps but more so than that I loosened my bobbin tension up more and tightened the upper thread and all was good. You just have to keep tweaking it. Also if you aren't using a 4.0 that will help some. I prefer a 3.5 so I get a little more flex.

Thanks Heidi I will give that a try it seems every other circle is when it happens I believe it is when going right to left but cant be sure as the design on this board backs up from one direction to the other. I have never had this problem before with the swirls but then again I used a heavier thread in the bobbin, according to the towa gauge it was at 180 which is usually a nice spot for my machine. Geez I wish I had thought to try the bobbin earlier as the quilt is now done!! I did keep tightening the top but it didnt seem to help very much.

Thanks Heidi I will give that a try it seems every other circle is when it happens I believe it is when going right to left but cant be sure as the design on this board backs up from one direction to the other. I have never had this problem before with the swirls but then again I used a heavier thread in the bobbin, according to the towa gauge it was at 180 which is usually a nice spot for my machine. Geez I wish I had thought to try the bobbin earlier as the quilt is now done!! I did keep tightening the top but it didnt seem to help very much.

Great Job, Jeanne, love that fabric, so soft and cushy looking. very pretty.

I agree with Heidi, tighten bottom more..(Edited: Good Grief, I meant loosen the bottom.) Times I have to loosen tighten both, until I finally hit the right combo. Was it Amy or Dawn C or someone else talked about it and said to totally loosen the top and somewhat loose on the bobbin, and go from there. when you find the right combo, make a note of what threads you were using and what the tensions were set on.. if you have a way.. Of course ;) you'd do this on practice cloth and batting.

Just don't give up!

RitaR

Great Job, Jeanne, love that fabric, so soft and cushy looking. very pretty.

I agree with Heidi, tighten bottom more..(Edited: Good Grief, I meant loosen the bottom.) Times I have to loosen tighten both, until I finally hit the right combo. Was it Amy or Dawn C or someone else talked about it and said to totally loosen the top and somewhat loose on the bobbin, and go from there. when you find the right combo, make a note of what threads you were using and what the tensions were set on.. if you have a way.. Of course ;) you'd do this on practice cloth and batting.

Just don't give up!

RitaR

Jeanne,

I used to always get flat spots when using BL untill I went loose in my bobbin. I got rid of my towa gauge as I didn't find that it helped me all that much. I go completely by feel. I put my thread in my case and if I pull on the tail I can lift it on end but I can not lift it off my hand. Then I go tighter and tighter on the top until I hit that sweet spot. If I find that the top gets too tight and is pulling in, I loosen the bobbin a little more. Batting will make a tremendous difference on your stitch.

Jeanne,

I used to always get flat spots when using BL untill I went loose in my bobbin. I got rid of my towa gauge as I didn't find that it helped me all that much. I go completely by feel. I put my thread in my case and if I pull on the tail I can lift it on end but I can not lift it off my hand. Then I go tighter and tighter on the top until I hit that sweet spot. If I find that the top gets too tight and is pulling in, I loosen the bobbin a little more. Batting will make a tremendous difference on your stitch.

As this was a donation quilt the batting was a cheap mountain mist I think. I didnt pick the batting or the fabrics just got it in time to get it quilted. Something poly but it did give it nice texture. Rita the fabric showing is a very soft green even though it kind of looks gray in the picure. I will post a picture of the front tonight. It is friendship blocks of lots of different colors alternating with a soft light blue with small stars. Our guild is making 90 something quilts for a special family Camp for Happy Days which includes their whole family not just the cancer kids. So they want a quilt for everyone adults and siblings. that is our community project this year. They all have to be done by mid July so I was in a rush to getter Done!!

I did slow way down on the quilting too but that did no seem to help either. I will try adjusting the bottom tension, You think I have to go tighter or looser? Loosey goosey correct?

lol

As this was a donation quilt the batting was a cheap mountain mist I think. I didnt pick the batting or the fabrics just got it in time to get it quilted. Something poly but it did give it nice texture. Rita the fabric showing is a very soft green even though it kind of looks gray in the picure. I will post a picture of the front tonight. It is friendship blocks of lots of different colors alternating with a soft light blue with small stars. Our guild is making 90 something quilts for a special family Camp for Happy Days which includes their whole family not just the cancer kids. So they want a quilt for everyone adults and siblings. that is our community project this year. They all have to be done by mid July so I was in a rush to getter Done!!

I did slow way down on the quilting too but that did no seem to help either. I will try adjusting the bottom tension, You think I have to go tighter or looser? Loosey goosey correct?

lol

Jeanne, my friend, that quilt top looks great! Whoever gets it will not notice that tension that we notice. I have 4 bobbin cases. One for bottom line and one for say, Metro and the others for anyother threads I use in the bottom. I have them marked with fingernail polish. Sometimes I forget the difference the bobbin case tension can make. Sometimes I struggle a bit until I remember to change cases.

Jeanne, my friend, that quilt top looks great! Whoever gets it will not notice that tension that we notice. I have 4 bobbin cases. One for bottom line and one for say, Metro and the others for anyother threads I use in the bottom. I have them marked with fingernail polish. Sometimes I forget the difference the bobbin case tension can make. Sometimes I struggle a bit until I remember to change cases.

Thanks so much. I think I have been away from quilting for so long I forgot all about checking the basics. Because I tested the bobbin with the towa I figured it must be right. These were coats prewound bobbins with the cardboard sides and doing the drop test it too loosening it way up to about 100 before I couldnt pick it up off my hand. I didnt sew with it yet because the quilt is off the frame. I will post a picture of the next one that I am going to quilt for charity on a new post a really big bold GFG

Thanks so much. I think I have been away from quilting for so long I forgot all about checking the basics. Because I tested the bobbin with the towa I figured it must be right. These were coats prewound bobbins with the cardboard sides and doing the drop test it too loosening it way up to about 100 before I couldnt pick it up off my hand. I didnt sew with it yet because the quilt is off the frame. I will post a picture of the next one that I am going to quilt for charity on a new post a really big bold GFG

Jeanne,

this is the same problem ive been having, i posted some photos withand sked for help to on this forum, ive adjusted everything its has got better but it is very frustrating i know i think it might have had something to do with the roll of wadding.

sharyn

Archived