small wall hanging

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THanks everybody! It is always a wonderful day when you quilt something and say wow that did what I wanted. I think there were a few things that made this quilt. 1st deciding to do the feathers in the off-white background vs doing it in the dark fabric. If I had done feathers in the dark it wouldn't have shown unless I used a very contrasting thread and I think that would have looked bad. 2nd was going around in a circular shape gave it good movement. 3rd Batting choices. The customer brought me the thinnest available QD cotton. I added 1/2 a thickness of wool on top and that gave it lots of dimension. Remember you don't have to use the whole thickness. The plys separated very easily. 4th I did SID first. I do SID on almost all of my custom quilts and it just makes the design pop better. Of course this is all IMHO!

Linda - no I did those freehand. They really went super quick!

THanks everybody! It is always a wonderful day when you quilt something and say wow that did what I wanted. I think there were a few things that made this quilt. 1st deciding to do the feathers in the off-white background vs doing it in the dark fabric. If I had done feathers in the dark it wouldn't have shown unless I used a very contrasting thread and I think that would have looked bad. 2nd was going around in a circular shape gave it good movement. 3rd Batting choices. The customer brought me the thinnest available QD cotton. I added 1/2 a thickness of wool on top and that gave it lots of dimension. Remember you don't have to use the whole thickness. The plys separated very easily. 4th I did SID first. I do SID on almost all of my custom quilts and it just makes the design pop better. Of course this is all IMHO!

Linda - no I did those freehand. They really went super quick!

Archived