small wall hanging

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love the look you achieved on this quilt. How do you train yourself to do such wonderful freehand designs so perfectly? Do you first draw out your design on paper to learn the quilting directions that work best. I see all kinds of pretty designs, but have no clue how to approach them to quilting in a smooth, flowing direction. Will it ever click if I keep trying? :) Dar

I really love the look you achieved on this quilt. How do you train yourself to do such wonderful freehand designs so perfectly? Do you first draw out your design on paper to learn the quilting directions that work best. I see all kinds of pretty designs, but have no clue how to approach them to quilting in a smooth, flowing direction. Will it ever click if I keep trying? :) Dar

Originally posted by Dar

Darlene it is just a matter of practicing. Pick one thing and keep doing it over and over until you can do it in your sleep. You can also pick a design that you can build on. These are by far not perfect but they are pretty consistant so it gives the illusion of being perfect. Since almost everybody can do a heart it is a very easy one to learn. I try to made the shape with a shape that I've used my whole life and then it makes it simple. Don't give up it will definitely come if you practice. I do a lot of doodling and trust me some of it would cause you to scratch your head and wonder! I've only been machine quilting for about 4 years now. When I started I knew nothing about machine quilting. I was always a hand quilter.

Originally posted by Dar

Darlene it is just a matter of practicing. Pick one thing and keep doing it over and over until you can do it in your sleep. You can also pick a design that you can build on. These are by far not perfect but they are pretty consistant so it gives the illusion of being perfect. Since almost everybody can do a heart it is a very easy one to learn. I try to made the shape with a shape that I've used my whole life and then it makes it simple. Don't give up it will definitely come if you practice. I do a lot of doodling and trust me some of it would cause you to scratch your head and wonder! I've only been machine quilting for about 4 years now. When I started I knew nothing about machine quilting. I was always a hand quilter.

Archived