Along the Way

Mine would go to quilts shops & buy me fabric and once an antique while on business trips but hates to stop when we are travelling and usually, would avoid coming in with me. If he did come in he would say, 'why don't you make a quilt with this fabric? why don't you use these colours etc, etc'. Every time I show him what I'm working on he would say 'couldn't you make one like this, couldn't you make one like that?' I finally said 'no, that's not my style. But YOU could!'

2 months a go I gave him my EQ5 as I updated to EQ7 (Computer, gadget, technology - he fell for it hook, line & sinker!) So he designed patterns & started asking ' would this piecing work ? why not? how CAN I do it? and anyway, why does the fabric have to be 1/2 wider/longer than the size I want it in the quilt?'

He's designed a quilt 100 x 100 all 5" squares based on the Stars & Stripes flag but in different colours. For his birthday treat last weekend we drove 200 miles each way to Portsmouth NH to shop at Portsmouth Fabrics on the first day of their summer sale. He only wants to use Kaffe Fassett fabrics and the sale price certainly helps.

Now I'm clearing out my sewing room & will set up my Viking Daisy and show him how to use it and how to use the rotary cutter etc, etc and retreat to my studio while he plays. He'll probably do a brilliant job and put me to shame! He's planning to enter it next year in the Vermont Quilt Festival and win a ribbon!

I'll keep you posted........

DH goes into quilt shops and buys me items along with shopping with me. The best was back in February when I met a friend and her sister at a shop in Port Clinton. He came into the shop and then I lost him when the long arm machine started operating. He must of watched it for 30 minutes. Off to the lighthouse and then to lunch. At lunch the 3 of us gals decided to check out a shop in Shiloh. Little did he know what we were getting into. The shop was moving that day and setting up in a new location. We went to the original shop and "Momma" said to go up to the new location and tell her son that we were ok to shop as they were setting up. Well, the new shop was up the road on the corner from the original shop. Also the new shop was a rebuilt, refurbished wood barn that was relocated to the site. DH being a wood worker talk to the son and Dad as the 3 of us gals shopped. After a 2 hour shopping trip and $$$ spent. He helped me load the car, hugged my friend and her sister and asked when was the next outing. :P:P:P He is always up to visit shops that have unique settings.

He also likes shops that have other males there to talk with. He is color blind so we do not let him choose fabrics.:P:P I am blessed. DH supports me and my quilting. Even knows the lingo and has been caught looking at the quilt magazines... :o:P:P:P

Jeff travels (regionally) a LOT, sometimes an overnight-er. When he knows these are on the calendar he will invite me to go along and I am immediately on YellowBook.com, looking for a quilt shop. He will drop me off, with some grumbling about not liking leaving me with strangers, not knowing exactly how long his job is going to take; but I assure him I will be fine among quilters. Other times he will go with but this does not work out well because he is very 'chatty' and will have the attention of the clerk(s), leaving me on my own to find what I am looking for. They will be discussing the batiks and how they are made or what makes some new gadget so special, while I can't find the perfect fabric I am looking for! Gotta love these guys that tolerate our passion!

Guess I'm really lucky...he not only waits patiently while I fabric-shop, but actively seeks new ones out when we travel.

The ladies at Holloway's (just outside Pigeon Forge TN) have a marvellous setup. When a man enters the door, he is told, "Upstairs there's a fridge with cool water, cookies on a plate, reading material and a couch to lie down on." And there are all these things, plus many happy husbands! Definitely husband-friendly.

And in Great Falls, Montana, they gave my husband a coupon for free coffee at a cafe across the street.

What husband wouldn't return to either of those places??

I leave my DH at home. He is a nervous Nelly and just drives me nuts in a quilt shop. He wouldn't walk into a quilt shop by himself, ever. However, his son goes to the LQS every year at Christmas time and buys me a gift card. One year he said, "I feel bad getting you the same thing every year, maybe I should get you something else." I said, don't you dare, this one gift I look forward to every year ! The ladies at the LQS get a kick out of him.

My husband is very supportive of my addiction and my business. As a matter of fact, he's been to Houston 2x and PIQF several times. He'll go into the quilt shops with me and will sometimes pick out fabrics. He doesn't do THAT very often so when he does, I'll make him a quilt to lay over the table in the hotel room when he travels~~to remind him of home!

Archived