Tie off the Stops and Starts- IT'S DONE!

Good timing on this "thread". I'm starting a custom job today on a big quilt. The background is navy blue and the middle of the quilt is a big mariners compass. My friend says that the gentleman who is getting the quilt would like gold thread. I usually take a couple of backstitches but figured I'd better try something different on this one so the starts and stops won't show as much. I'm thinking of using the Circle Lord "water" template for the background so I'll have to start and stop when getting to the piecework and blocks. I've never used the big boards as a background fill, so I'm looking forward to the effect.

The quilt, The backing is a dark purple floral pattern and she wanted purple thread to match, something to be said for bobbin tension as it turned out great with the dusty rose and baby blue on the front side! SID'd the entire quilts borders , sashing and squares with clear and a purple thread in the bobbin. I SID a lot, I do it to stabilize the quilt top and I do the whole thing first and then come back to the top. Then complete a row at a time. I keep everything lined up that way as I free float most tops and any major problems can seen and corrected before I get into the body of the quilt. Jane says I get too carried away! Oh well! The butterfly design I drew out and digitized, used with superior threads, "glitter thread", to match to color of each individual butterfly-, outlined/SID'd each butterfly and its body in black on the applique edge and then outlined each in dusty rose- hand guided, used compuquilter and a pattern I purchased for the hearts border around each block. Went back in armed with Dawns technique and did the crosshatch in baby blue-hand guided with some rulers I made . sashing is a cable in medium blue, borders are another butterfly drawing of mine I digitized and surrounded the quilt using my compuquilter and a variegated thread to match.

I often blend the hand guiding and computer as my clients love it and it keeps my skills both manual and computerized up. It also allows me to get the quilts back to them in a timely manner.

Thanx again for all your support! I love this job!!!!:cool:

Here's a photo of the backing for those who wish to see:

Butterfly-Quilt-Back.jpg

Archived