Relationship with a piecer for competition............

Hi all,

I have a customer who is really a good piecer, and her hand applique is to die for!

I would like to join with her to make a quilt for competition. I was wondering how everyone does that. This would be a quilt to go into the machine quilting shows where the relationship between piecer and quilter is celebrated.

Here's my thought- She would make the top with some colaboration, but the ultimate decisions would be hers, as it would belong to her. I would quilt the daylights out of it, of course in a style that would be at least a $500-700 quilting job and I would quilt it for free. afterwards I would show it for 1 year, being responsible for getting it to the major machine quilters shows. If it wins any money, I would claim that, but in the case of a Best of Show we would split, and if she got a piecer's award that money would be hers.

The quilt would go back to her and she would have as an heirloom and (hopefully) prize winning quilt to pass down.

Does that sound fair? I thought about splitting everything, but then I might be on the very short end of the stick if it doesn't do well. I would at least like to get my money back on the quilting.

What does everyone else do? I am interested in your input...

Caron,

I would think that this would be more than fair...however those who have done this would be better to answer.

Also wondering about that short end of the stick situation. Worst case no money is awarded, and you have nothing to split and she gets her quilt.....what happens then, does she pay you for the quilting? I'm not trying to be negative, I was just wondering ...."WHAT IF". She would be getting not only her quilt back, but basically getting the thing quilted for free...and you would be also out all the entry fees for the different quilt shows.

I can't speak from my own experience but I know a local woman in my area who quilted a quilt for a woman for competition. She told me the quilt of course was the person who pieced it and she decided how she wanted to work the deal. For this lady she said she charged (probably a very good amount for the quilt job )and got credit as the quilter and the piecer got credit for her end but ultimately it was her quilt was owned by her so she took the awards and cash prize...This is how they worked it I am sure it is an indivdual thing but I would be very careful about how you work the deal so that you can get more than just being mentioned as the quilter...this quilt was entered in a 2 person catagory and took a lot of awards....

The problem these days with the big shows, the 2 person category is flooded as so many people rely on the longarm quilter. So it is tough to get noticed. If you look back, all the Best of Shows and most of the Blues go to "solitaire" quilters. Pieced and sewn both by them. The longarm shows , while competitive, are not quite at the same level. The money is not as good, so there's trade-offs.

I guess I would like to do this more as a true partnership, and a win-win for us both.

In the case you site, that's no different than being the quilter on a very nice quilt going into competition. The piecer MUST give credit for the quilting, otherwise they are subject to disqualification. I think even Nancy's Notions woke up. In the past they never asked who else worked on the quilt or quilted it, and even though I know a gal who made her own line on the show application, they did not give credit to her quilter. Last year I heard many people grumbling, so they may have gotten the message. I will have a quilt in that show, and this time they asked on the application.

• 1 month later...

I am also discussing this with a really good piecer and well I do not know how to approach this but this is what we are discussing.

Ultimately TWO tops will be done and I will give her the CUSTOM she wants on the top that will be hers.

I am paying for the materials to make the tops and she will do most of the piecing if not all. We plan to work together but she would be the ultimate piecer. We both like to piece so we will work together on this.

We will credit each other for the quilting and piecing. In exchange I will give her a CUSTOM job on her top.

This way I get to keep a quilt and she gets a Custom that she's always wanted.

Besides she is a wonderful person and we would have great fun doing this project.

So What does everyone think? I know its different so please share your ideas on this.

This is totally new to me. If money is awarded for the piecing on the quilt I own I would award it to the piecer and visa versa if she competes with the quilt she keeps and a quilting award happens. We would trust each other on this. If dishonesty were to unlikely happen I would simply learn and not do business again with such a person. My word is good enough and I expect nothing less from those I do business with.

There are many partners out there winning and winning. I think if you can build such a partnership and it be a success you are truly blessed. I am hoping to find that in a piecer/quilter in my area. I am "not on the hunt" but I am paying attention for the opportunity to share this with someone who loves quilting/piecing as much as I.

It sounds like you are being VERY generous. You are paying for materials for both tops, and helping with the piecing. You are also quilting both quilts. She is piecing some or all of the tops. She is doing what she does best, and you are doing what you do best, but YOU ARE PAYING for everything AND helping her with her half of the work. I wish someone like you lived near me! :D

Well our ideas are being discussed. I always get too generous. That's my fault. I may end up just paying for my top and she hers but I will do the quilting for her.

I wasn't clear on that.

I am anxious to do something for competition. I have been working on a design for my first wholecloth and it is taking me some time. I am designing most of it. I have a few purchased stensils that I may use but still not sure. Sometimes I put more into it than I probly should. I am hoping it can be unique on some level.

Thanks for the comments.

Grammie

Have you tried emailing Karen McTavish....see how she started out and what she does now. She is such a nice person and would probably take the time to answer. Or try Linda Taylor and Cherie (can't remember her last name) to see what kind of competition relationship they have or any of the people who have won with Linda's quilting.

Sometimes going to the source is the best way to get the information you desire...

They also maybe point out the pit falls of relationships and how to protect yourself and the piecer when it comes to prize money, recognition and ribbons.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Archived