problems with tension

barbann03

I used to think if I had my tension even but sort of loose that would be best and boy was I WRONG! The tensions must be snugger than you think, but even, otherwise there is too much slack and too much opportunity for a change in the tension on the loops, points, etc.

Keep practicing, I promise it gets better. On the bright side, quilting with horrible tension is easy to rip out:P

You know what my dogs would call your dog- LUNCH!!!!;)

Hi everyone. This lurker is finally coming out of the corner.

I also test my tension on a scrap in the border first. However, this is where the zipper system comes in great. After stitching the first row I just partially unzip the top and fold it back to look at the tension and then zip it back up. No more crawling under the quilt or running around to the back. I try to quilt a little in the upper right corner first if possible as thats the side that you unzip from. The zippers also make it very easy to rip out any tension problems as you can unzip, fold it over the front rollers, rip out the stitches and then zip it back up. Much easier on your back and I usually pull up a stool and sit while doing it.

Just my two cents worth..... I've learned so much from this list I figured it was time I started giving back a little!

Sue

Tiger Lily Quilting

Millennium

I have looked at the "thread tug of war" on Superior Threads' website, I have adjusted and adjusted; and I'm still having problems. If I loosen my bobbin thread to the point where it does the 1-2" drop then I have bobbin loops on the top. If I loosen the top to adjust for that I get top thread loops on the back. When I tighten my bobbin almost as far as it will go I don't see the loops on top so much. I then can tighten my top up to get rid of the loops there, but I can still see top thread on the back AND bobbin thread on the top. Could I possibly need to replace some parts on my ancient machine? I don't know if anything has ever been replaced since I bought it used. I will try to post pictures of the problem.

Theresa,

This may sound crazy, but try turning your bobbin around. My machine was making me nuts one day after 1/2 a quilt of perfect sewing. I had just changed bobbins, so I blamed that bobbin, Put in another one, same problem. I finally went back to the instructions and checked which way the thread should come off the bobbin. I had accidently turned the new one around so it was spinning the other way (the way my DSM spins) Suddenly the tenion was fine again. Now I only get bobbins with a solid side and a "hole-y" side- The solid side always shows in the bobbin case.

Ladies, Barbara Tucker has it right. After the quilt is completely loaded put a piece of muslin on the edge of the quilt on top of the batting and backing. A piece about 2 by 3 inches. Make a square by going around the edges, make loops and circles in both directions. Then flip it over and look at it without crawling under the machine. I always adjust my bobbin tension first. That one is the easiest. It's a slow crawl.

I do have a confession.

I do lay under my machine to look at completed quilts (before I unpin them) using my motorized advance feed floor pedal to scan the quilt to see if I missed a spot or if it needs more quilting in any places. Sometime you just can't see things from the top.

Archived