APQS San Antonio, TX Seminar

Howdy Ya'll;

I am still researching my options on the various machines, I am narrowing down the search.... It is so exciting, I am planning to attend an APQS seminar this week end in San Antonio, TX to check out the machines and of course to check out the river walk. I think I want the mill......

Is there any advice I need with additional questions to ask and things to check out, I appreciate the information and guidance from all of your experienced quilters.....

One thing that is bothering me is the delviery, set up, and maintenance of these machines, the clesest dealer is 200 miles away. I want to have someone set it up for me and give me hands on training, is this too much to ask for such a tremendous investment. How did and do all of you deal with these issues?

Thanks again for the input.

Debbie

The Yellow Rose (Texan) Quilter

rockins@cox-internet.com

Guest Linda S

Debbie - if I had to do it all over again, I think I would have someone come and set up the machine and go over the basics with me. It really wasn't that difficult to set up, but the manual gives you so many pictures and then you kind of have to figure it out for yourself. Especially if you're over eager, as I was, it's so hard to patiently try to put things together (usually, I would find that if I got frustrated and sat down for five minutes, I would understand exactly what the instructions meant and I would be able to complete the step). As far as knowin how to run the machine -- you will receive your manual and a training CD a few weeks before your machine arrives. I watched that video every day (sometimes twice!) and once my set up was complete, I knew exactly what to do with those handles. :D

Good luck to you with our selection. These machines are FABULOUS. I'm sure you will love whichever one you choose!

Linda

APQS offers professional set-up of your new machine by an APQS technician.

The technician will set up your table where you want it. Assembles your new quilting machine. Makes table and wheel adjustments. Installs bobbin, thread, and needle. Provide one-on-one training in your home.

Just ask about details at the seminar or e-mail carla@apqs.com for more details.

Tad

APQS.com

Good luckwith your purchase. Selecting the right machine is so important. I love my "LottieLongArm", and I know she was the right one for me!

I had the advantage of going from NH to Iowa to pick up my machine. We have a son that lives in the Eastern part of Iowa AND used that as an excuse to pick up our Millennium (LottieLongArm). We spent 3 days in DesMoines and I actually spent that 3 days playing on their machines. Then my DH andI went to Carroll and there they trained him on set-up, maintenance of the machine, etc. That was a wonderful experience! We got to meet all those great folks and made us feel like we were a part of the APQS Family.

Prior to that I drove a couple hour trip to take a day long training from our Portland, Maine Rep.

S

Hi, Debbie! Good luck on your machine choice! When I bought my machine 6 months ago, I had pretty well decided I wanted a Discovery, but had never tried a longarm at all, so went to the Houston Quilt Festival to try them. A competitor machine, well-known for its vibration, did indeed vibrate; a minute on the machine felt like an hour with my lawnmower :P. To be honest, I never tried any of the other brands, since I arrived at the APQS booth before I found the other booths:D! I think setting up your machine is not hard at all (my daughter and I set mine up in less than a couple hours with no trouble), but you can easily have APQS do it and get you started. You might want to get them to outline what you should do maintenance-wise and how often to do it. Other than that, all you need to do is PRACTICE!! There are also all sorts of videos and books, etc., to help you, but the main thing is to practice and be patient with yourself. Don't expect to produce work like you see from the experts right off and save yourself a lot of frustration! Good luck with your decision; I think you won't be sorry if you get an APQS!

I am up dateing from a Ultimate ll to a Mille. Ordered Mille July 1 and drove to Carrol {two hour one way} On monday Aug 8th. to pick her up. Kept thinking about all the problems some of you had when you picked up your machines, decided No that won't happen to me. Trip was great, two sisters-in-law went with me, we had a great trip. But when we were putting Mille on the table the machine went forward, front rollers came off the end of the carrage and dropped down just enough it broke both back rollers. Now I'm waiting for Mark to send a new back axel assembly. Needless to say I was So bummed. Can't quilt so started painting the kitchen. DH thinks parts will be here today but I look for them tomarrow at the earliest. I guess this is what I dersive after feeling so good about not haveing any travel problems. This too shall pass, right. Just can't wait to try Millie out. I think it will be a little diffecult teaching an old dog new tricks.

Sew Long, Audria with A Quilted Heart

Guest Linda S

Oh Audria! What bad luck. Hopefully your part will be there soon and you will be happily quilting away! :) I think that was my main problem. I was so eager and excited, I just couldn't wait to get things together! Fortunately, I didn't break anything in the process. Good luck to you. Enjoy that stitch regulator -- it's awesome!

Linda

Debbie: My first one (Ult. I) came on a truck and we put it all together ourselves with no problems. A year or so later, we had to move the machine and I was so worried about that . . taking it all apart and getting it all back together again. We did it with no problems. Then I upgraded to the Millennium and it was a piece of cake to change out because we used the same table.

I've never had a dealer to fall back on for help but Connie & Mark are more help than you can imagine.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you buy one without a dealer's help if you have to do it that way.

Good luck!

My husband and my son put my Millennium together it about 2 hours. The video and written instructions were pretty easy to follow step by step. Then it took me another couple of hours to go through the maintenance video and make sure I had everything threaded and loaded correctly before I actually started to practice. All in all, I'd do it again with any hesitation. (I'd rather spend my money on fabric or threads. ) It's pretty easy but definitely takes 2 people. Hope this helps.

Parts did arrive the next day{wed.}. Put them on today and have already talked to Connie once. Its realy hard to teach an old dog new tricks, one that it elictronically challenged and lacking in instant replay. I'll go back at it tomarrow. Right now I'm ready to take three wall hangings and a Queen size quilt to enter them in A little show.

Thanks for all of yur encouragement.

Audria with A Quilted Heart

Archived