Following the Lines

I have quite a few Geisha panels and I would like to quilt the lines of the face as well as some of the kimono.

Yesterday was quilting a wall hanging that had 10 cats and I was trying to follow the lines of the cats. did a decent job, but I had to go VERY slow (in SR mode). Of course this morning my back is stiff from concentrating so much.

Is this another example of PPP or does anyone have tips for these kinds of panels.

Thanks,

Kate

Hi Kate and welcome to the forum. When I quilt a panel, I also like to follow the lines, but I don't stress on staying exactly on the lines, but just keep the machine moving. The slower I go, the harder it is for me to be smooth. And yes it is a matter of PPP. Another idea for you is to look ahead of where your needle is, to where you are going, & this will also help smooth out your stitching line. Doing close detail is the hardest for me, but you do get there. Just don't go too slow and look ahead of where you are. ;)

Kate,

Welcome. Yes PJ is right (boy Patty Jo I'm saying that a lot today) and gives you good advice. I'm working on a quilt right now that has flowers and leaves and I'm outlining it and decided to go at it without the SR on. It worked better than I thought. I started out slow and before I knew it I was moving right along. Most of it is to not beat yourself up if you aren't right now! It will come the more you practice. The other thing that helps is to look ahead of the needle about 1/2".

Archived